High density for entry level buyers.

bkshopr_IHB

Many of you are looking for the affordable house. The entry level price is still way to high to align with the average income earners. There are several methods to delivering the lowest price homes. The land price we all know will stay somewhat constant at the ridiculous 4-1/2 million per acre. The only alternative solution is to maximize density (houses per acre).

The detached condos in my mind are still the best buy for the dollars spent. Its density ranges from 10 unit- 17 units per acre. Due to the independent nature of the footprint the floor plans has much greater variations and could be designed most efficiently. The ability to get windows on all four sides of is a big plus in reducing hallways. This is the only high density solution with a patio yard or backyard. The garage access is very convenient. Maintenance could be kept to a minimum when yard planting is confined to small planter area and pots. Visual privacy for most units is fairly good with the staggered windows and frosted glass. Noise transmission is similar to most conventional lot products. There is a 10% premium for the price.

The attached townhouse and stacked flat is another alternative in achieving higher density 15 nits-22 units per acre. The luxury of side yards is eliminated in exchange for livable footage. These homes tend to be larger than detached condos by 120sf but the purchase price is the same. Buyers are paying less per square foot than detached condos. Sharing walls, ceilings, floor and the lost of ground floor yard are the trade-off for a bigger home. Another setback is the lost of light and ventilation due the shared walls. The circulation area for attached homes is much less efficient and could easily consume the extra 120sf . The spaciousness however is felt even the hallway is not livable. The construction cost is much higher than detached condo so the price is not much cheaper. Most decks offered in town homes are often designed for elevation reason. Architects rarely pair the deck with the right room so good luck carrying the raw meat through the master bedroom or a den to do some BBQ. Only buy the units with good size 7’ deep outdoor decks from the living area. 7” is barely marginal for furnishing a grille, table and chairs.

High-rise stacked flat gets the best density at over 60 units per acre. It is all about the view, status, and low maintenance. Price is dictated by its verticality position. It does not make sense for entry level home buyers to go there. Most entry level home buyers are single or newly wed who have plan for family expansion. Swing sets and sandbox is not possible and many will eventually move. Those of you are members of this Irvine Housing Blog because you are smart, research resourceful and most of all not short sighted. Most home owners move in 5 years because they have out grown the house. Due to the very high construction cost one would not find saving in the purchase.

Older neighborhoods surrounding Irvine offer older detached homes with modest footage on much bigger lots are another alternative. The density most often is around 3-1/2- 5 units per acre. The bigger yards allow for remodel and addition potential and CC&R is a lot looser and the steering committee also has similar agendas in mind. This method takes a much longer time and requires greater imagination from home buyers to see beyond the ugliness décor, paint color and bad finishes accumulated over the years. Older homes are much more difficult to furnish and energy inefficient. Life of the appliances, water heater, HVAC if any, and plumbing are all questionable. The demands and hey days of its school district are gone. These communities have no new home constructions, fee and taxes of higher priced homes to support the school district in hiring crème of the crop teachers and administrators. Although recent sales of homes in older communities reached over a million the old timers are still paying taxes base on the 1960’s home purchase price. Some communities created chartered public school from huge donation from philanthropist like Seggerstrom. School of the Arts in Santa Ana is a good success. Its test score and ranking is 4<sup>th</sup> in Orange County after Troy, University High and Los Alamito and above all other high schools in Irvine and Tustin. The pricing for older homes are all over the place. If one spends enough time one could still find that golden needle in the haystack.

This is the most expensive purchase in one’s life. The buyers’ market is allowing plenty of time for one to choose the perfect property. Do not be fooled by the RE agent or seller's tactic regarding multiple bids. Check for proofs this is a very popular trick to pressure the buyers to make a financial commitment.

<p><em>>>Architects rarely pair the deck with the right room so good luck carrying the raw meat through the master bedroom or a den to do some BBQ. Only buy the units with good size 7’ deep outdoor decks from the living area. 7” is barely marginal for furnishing a grille, table and chairs.</em></p>

<p>I concur. We turned our 10 x 10 into an outdoor master suite.</p>

<em>"The land price we all know will stay somewhat constant at the ridiculous 4-1/2 million per acre. "</em>

In an Irvine Company fantasy world perhaps.

<em>" The detached condos in my mind are still the best buy for the dollars spent."</em>

I like this product as well. It is a good design solution.

<em>"Do not be fooled by the RE agent or seller's tactic regarding multiple bids. Check for proofs this is a very popular trick to pressure the buyers to make a financial commitment."</em>

Amen to that. Personally, I will respond by lowering my bid the moment the realtor says it.

<p><em>>>Architects rarely pair the deck with the right room so good luck carrying the raw meat through the master bedroom or a den to do some BBQ. Only buy the units with good size 7’ deep outdoor decks from the living area. 7” is barely marginal for furnishing a grille, table and chairs.</em></p>

<p>This made me crack up. I remember looking at some condos in Ladera and thinking "WTF is the point of a balcony if it is connected to the master bedroom that is upstairs?" "Am I supposed to BBQ on my front porch or am I supposed to throw the steaks up and out my kitchen window to someone on the balcony manning the grill?"</p>

I am glad that you all agree with the silly balcony locations. Architecture should be honest. Elevation should reflect the importance of the floor plan behind the facade. These token decks are there for elevation purpose only. We should all boycott the projects that offer the only outdoor space through bedrooms. These architects should go work for movie set studios where there is nothing behind the facade.

There is a very silly colored and designed homes on Garden Grove Blvd. between Beach and Dale... new 3 story homes with no rhyme or reason. Smack in the middle of auto repair shops and used care sale lots. I wanted to hear your comment on places like this popping up everywhere. (There are also a Taylor Woodrow 3 story homes off Beach Blvd. between Orangewood and Katella built right off the road... everytime I drive by, all I can think about is that 1 bad traffic accident that will undo those homes in an instant.)

The Taylor Woodrow Homes project on Beach is a very bad project in Stanton. Every city there are questionable element within a neighborhood. When a well known builder such as Taylor Woodrow knowingly built projects like this for families less than 500 yards from a 25 cents adult movie arcade where men goes there to masterbate and the TJ theater and other strip joints just down the street and hookers along the blvd to service the horny men who did not get a happy ending from the strip club during the midnight hours. I do not care how famous the builder is. Taylor Woodrow with its new KB/ Ryland home management team will run that company into the ground. When men are looking for hookers they are not paying much attention driving on the road.

<p>hahahaha!....You know, I was there about 6 or 7 months ago. As I walked back to my car. Some homeless guy said, "Nice properties. You should buy one."......I was like, "Yes, they are." While in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Is he staking this place out to burglarize, already?"......</p>

<p>Oh, John Laing homes also is doing a similar project in Santa Ana. That park across the street is really scary at night. </p>

<p>bk,</p>

<p>What's your take on a builder call Brandywine?....Supposedly, they're taking over Taylor Woodrow on that project on Beach. They will include more condos/townhomes and live-work units.</p>

I've been a big fan of your posts here. You are full of insight; however, you are starting to scare me with all this talk of masturbation, strippers and prostitutes.</p>

<p>Penn 1</p>

<p>I wish there is another way to get my point across in describing the location and its activities along the blvd. I think the project is terrible and at a really bad location for families. I could not paint a better picture and I apologize for being too explicit in getting my point across. I hope that no one would endorce this project and the builder who would do anything for a profit. I study environment for a living and I can not help to ignore the obvious. </p>

<p>Reason,</p>

<p>You are quite a local here. I can not imagine you ran out model homes to visit. Is my observation exaggerated? I have never heard of BranyWine. That sound like a stage name? What kind of live/work unit is perfect for Beach Blvd? HAHAHA! The live/work would drive the Indian owned motels out of business !</p>

<p>BK, </p>

<p>just kidding, I love your posts so keep them coming.</p>

<p>Reason,</p>

<p>Brandywine is a pretty small time builder, their specialty is the "in-fill" projects with the ability to squeeze in every ounce of space that they have. they built a group of 8 or so home on a 1/2 acre site in Garden Grove on Euclid between Chapman and Lampson. They mainly bank on the fact that the population just jumps on anything new regardless of location, lot size, or design. </p>

<p>BK,</p>

<p>by the way I would love your thoughts on "gated communities." It seems like since the 90's the trend has been toward building these gated communities, because I believed that's what the public demands. In my view, it seems like a waste of money and an inconvenience. </p>

Gated communities have more to do with branding and prestige of a neighborhood. It is a proven fact that gated community retains a higher real estate value than a non gated one. 2 side by side communities like Northpark and Northpark Square definitely have at least 10% differential in pricing for similar products and footages. NIR and Irvine Single Mom may shed more light into this subject since they are the expert in their territory. Burglary and petty crime rate is definitely lower behind the gates. Drivers speeding on collector streets in residential neighborhood have always been a big problem for gated and non gated neighborhoods. Since drivers behind the gates are registered and guests’ license plate is recorded drivers are little bit more careful with the speeding and California stops. Police presence in gated community also helps with numerous safety issues. In a non gated communitie there is too much unwanted vehicular traffic. Pool and park facilities are opened for all and any one from any where could use them. New product like Decada in Portola Springs is priced less than the identical San Simeon 6 year old resale in Northpark.

Crime statistic has proven that gated communities experience fewer burglaries and vehicular vandalism. Homeowners testified the primary reason for purchasing a home in Northpark and other gated communities is its exclusivity and safety.

Mostly importantly for gated communities are the man gate element instead of the mechanical element is the correct method. The mechanical element is not safe and any one can follow a car into the community or breaking the gate mechanism. The mechanical only gate in my mind is not worth the trouble and inconvenience.

<p>Hahahaha. Yes, haven't you heard, BK? The builder(s) is going to rejuvenate downtown Stanton with this new project. A combination of condos/townhomes and live-work units. Yes, can you imagine traffic going around 65 mph on Beach to actually stop into these live-work businesses?...hahaha.</p>

<p>Oh, Brookfield homes has a project in "historic" Anaheim. Lets see if I can remember correctly. The community is in a square grid. With a manufacturing or water plant to the north. A railroad track on the east side. Another railroad track on the west side. On the south side, just as you exit the community, is an elementary school Imagine, parents dropping off their kids in the morning. What is your opinion on this "planning"? Hhahaha</p>

<p>On the subject of density. The Olson Homes is building a new neighborhood, Orange Depot. They like to reference Old Towne Orange for this project. How you can "walk out your doors and stroll to restaurants, galleries, shops, and nightlife." That it's such a great thing to be living right next to the metrolink. </p>

<p>I drove by there. This up and coming community is surrounded by old abandoned manufacturing plants. And from what I saw. It will be a long stroll to any shops, restaurants, galleries, and nightlife. And trust me, you won't be strolling home at night. But rather run home. </p>

Back