Hidden Canyon in Irvine

Paris said:
For those prices I'd take Newport Coast over HC anyday all day. I would even be able to get ocean views

You'd think that. But, you'd surprise how many HC buyers moved from Newport Coast. NC view is nice. But, the homes are often older and the design/layout feel dated. It's a pain getting in and out. And, the schools are subpar.

eatthis said:
Paris said:
For those prices I'd take Newport Coast over HC anyday all day. I would even be able to get ocean views

You'd think that. But, you'd surprise how many HC buyers moved from Newport Coast. NC view is nice. But, the homes are often older and the design/layout feel dated. It's a pain getting in and out. And, the schools are subpar.

I wouldn't call CDM high subpar - it's pretty competitive with Uni. Sure the home may need some remodeling but you can't beat an ocean view and that proximity to the ocean. The lot sizes are also very decent in the $4-5 million range homes. And there is something to say for the character of a home. I guess it's my preference but the area around NC also presents itself as very lush, high class. The area around hidden canyon is so barron and right off the 133. not as exclusive of a feel.

check out the character on this 1/3 of an acre lot with some beautiful viewshttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/37-Ocean-Heights-Dr-92657/home/5811762

unobstructed ocean and city views and again on a 1/3 acre lothttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/7-Telescope-92657/home/4749096

Once my kids are in high school we'll likely be heading to NC so guess I'm biased

CDM, NB, and NC are very mature cities.

Irvine is still a growing city, especially in terms of new offices and new home constructions.

I thought abt moving to NB several times, but ended up staying in Irvine.

We shall see how HC turns out in less than a year.

20-30% lots left, after that, supply and demand decides....

Paris said:
BruinDoc said:
Wow, that's a nice chunk of change considering it's only base pricing. Easily add $1M for options/upgrades/landscaping, maybe more like $1.5M. At that point you're pushing $5M total outlay and you are in some pretty rarefied air (Shady Canyon, Newport Coast, etc.). Nice problem if you have the means!!! ;)

Realistically, people also spend $$ renovating an existing home, least being the new paint, some landscaping, etc .  The adjusted price for these view homes in HC compared to buying existing and partially renovating is more like 3.75 - 4mm all in. 

At that price , not much is selling in Newport area - i count a total of 5 sales on redfin in last 3 mos in the 3.75 - 4.25m range and some of those homes actually need some renovation. Someone better at data than me please correct me if I am wrong. 

What is keeping the HC buyers from lapping up the value in Newport Coast  ?

Is it that they dont really care about a thin blue sliver of an ocean view (as opposed to real ocean access which is not really there in Newport Coast) over saving private school $$ by availing of good irvine public schools ?

Is is that they value the modern floor plans that allow for multi-generational living as many families in Irvine do ?

Is is that they feel more comfortable in Irvine politically ? (Newport is the only " red " voting zipcode this election cycle among all the elite coastal communities up and down the west coast , and this includes coastal San Diego)

I am not necessarily taking one side or the other, just trying to provoke discussion .  After all this is the right forum for that. 

Just checked TB's website, to my surprise, both Capri and Marbella tracts are selling extremely well.  All Capris w/o a back neighbor are taken, the same thing for Marbella w/ the exception of T-intersection homes.

I also checked a few other developments in Irvine, none of them is doing as well as HC....
In the closest size and price range:  Trevi
In the closest size, but much lower price:  Auburn

Is there room for HC to grow?  What do you think the forecast is like for HC?

Funkie said:
Just checked TB's website, to my surprise, both Capri and Marbella tracts are selling extremely well.  All Capris w/o a back neighbor are taken, the same thing for Marbella w/ the exception of T-intersection homes.

I also checked a few other developments in Irvine, none of them is doing as well as HC....

Why so surprised?  You've been a HC shill since you joined TI.

I joined TI in 2013, HC was not even around.

I started paying more attention to HC since June this year, after learning a neighbor moved to HC. 

Funkie said:

I started paying more attention to HC since June this year, after learning a neighbor moved to HC.

Oh really?

Funkie said:
LA and Hidden Canyon are surrounded by preserved area, no more homes will be built.
When you look at SG, WB, PS areas, more than 10k homes are still yet to be built around them from GP development.

Anything rare will carry a premium. 

WTTCHMN said:
Funkie said:

Oh really?

Funkie said:
LA and Hidden Canyon are surrounded by preserved area, no more homes will be built.
When you look at SG, WB, PS areas, more than 10k homes are still yet to be built around them from GP development.

Anything rare will carry a premium. 

#redhanded

Funkie said:

You guys make me laugh.  I said "MORE" attention.  HC was still all dirt in 2013.  I think the model homes were ready in 2015.

I was more into LA when I joined TI in 2013.  But of course, you are not interested in that.  You are only interested in proving someone else is wrong.  Maybe you would label me as a realtor or HC Sales soon. 

I understand the concept of supply and demand, however, when the price tag is over $3M, HC caters to the top buyers only.  So, the question becomes, are there so many top buyers that are interested in Irvine or HC in particular?  Especially a few years down the line.... 

Well you've been touting HC for a while.  You even gave us a history lesson.  Something smells funkie.

Funkie said:
I also consider LA to have the best location among all communities from 2005 to now.  Hidden Canyon will be even better.

Funkie said:
These are just some things that made LA different.  I can only imagine Hidden Canyon be even pricier. 

Funkie said:
I think they are done building in PA18 w/ HC.

LA and HC were planned in 1980's, see info below:

FACTS

? 752-acre total planning area
? 855 homes

? Approximately 450 acres of open space was dedicated as part of this project  <-----  No more homes will be build after 855 homes
? PA 18N (597 homes) is sold out  <------  This is Laguna Altura
? PA 18S is currently under construction (258 homes)
<----  This is Hidden Canyon

HISTORY

? Initial Planning started in the 1980?s
? Construction started in 2008
? Models opened in 2011
? All four projects in PA 18N sold out in 2013

More info: http://www.ascelasection.org/awards/nominee-public/2014-laguna_altura_pa_18

Funkie said:

HC is a huge success for TB. Capri is almost sold out in under 2 years. That's a pretty amazing feat given the price range and the fact that some homes have very modest lot sizes.

Marbella will probably take another year to sell out but still impressive at its price range with the most expensive so far over $4.4M without upgrades.

Frankly, I didn't expect that many buyers willing to pay up for Irvine outside of Shady Canyon, especially when Newport is right next door. But, I think this bodes well for all home owners in Irvine. It puts Irvine in the upper echelon of desirable cities to live.

eatthis said:
Marbella will probably take another year to sell out but still impressive at its price range with the most expensive so far over $4.4M without upgrades.

Last phase of Marbella is anticipating to be released in the Spring. Sales team are preparing to move to District 7. Things are going very well for TB and will continue to do so in the near future.

Movingup said:
Sales team are preparing to move to District 7. Things are going very well for TB and will continue to do so in the near future.

How Alta Vista does compared to Marbella will be a good indication of how buyers view HC compared to OH at top of Irvine price range.

eatthis said:
Movingup said:
Sales team are preparing to move to District 7. Things are going very well for TB and will continue to do so in the near future.

How Alta Vista does compared to Marbella will be a good indication of how buyers view HC compared to OH at top of Irvine price range.

Most likely the sales pace at Alta and Bella Vista will be alot slower then HC.  HC had a perfect timing in regards to market/interest cycle and you have locals from the Beach Cities that are trading for new with higher buying power.  HC had grand opening at the peak of FCB wave which is slowing as well.

I say the sales pace at Alta/Bella will be about 50% rate of HC.  But, who knows.  Those Alta Vista looks really nice with big lot sizes though. 

Goriot said:
eatthis said:
Movingup said:

Most likely the sales pace at Alta and Bella Vista will be alot slower then HC.  HC had a perfect timing in regards to market/interest cycle and you have locals from the Beach Cities that are trading for new with higher buying power.  HC had grand opening at the peak of FCB wave which is slowing as well.

I say the sales pace at Alta/Bella will be about 50% rate of HC.  But, who knows.  Those Alta Vista looks really nice with big lot sizes though. 

You got a good point about buyers from the beach cities, I wonder how many HC buyers fall into that group. 

Another pro for HC is how convenient its close to the I-5 and 405.  For those need to get on these freeway on the daily basis, you will find Alta Vista and Bella Vista a little PITA.  It will take like 5 -10 minutes just to drive down to the gate from these Vistas and probable another 15 minutes just get to the I-5. 

Did they say what will happen to the amphitheater now that it's all rubbles now, LA2 perhaps?

Back