Hidden Canyon in Irvine

eatthis said:
fortune11 said:
1.  Do you guys think market is slowing down enough that it is better to wait for resales / flips of homes that were sold early last year as opposed to signing a new contract directly w Toll ?

Market is definitely slowing down at this price range. HC now has standing inventory, which was inconceivable a year ago. Early last year they were taking cash buyers only because demand was so high.

100% agreed!! Huge slow down for homes over 1.3m+...Sure you see some activity here and there with bigger purchases but overall there is definitly a big change from last year and it will only get worse once the rates hike up. The cash buyers AKA=FCB are rare and the average person isn't getting nor can afford the big jumbo or even qualify for them. Hence there will be a big shift in the market. Unless they have equity and sellers will just have to sit and wait for a while!!!

As for waiting for resale versus buy new it depends. Do you like the location of the early phase homes? Are you willing to wait since there's no telling when one would come on the market? Is there a particular model or elevation you prefer? Will the price be much better than new? How particular are you with options? If you want to have it exactly how you want it then you better buy new.

How much do you like the community and the house. If you're okay with all the uncertainty then by all means, wait. Just know that you're leaving a lot to chance.

Latest Capri price sheet. The inner side of Iron Gate continues to struggle. They're also some of the smallest lots in the neighborhood. Otherwise, the outer side is doing surprisingly well considering they face Lake Forest Dr. which can get somewhat noisy. They do have the benefit of being much bigger lots and have a lower but unobstructed view.

Attachments

• 0614 Capri price sheet.JPG
    0614 Capri price sheet.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 579
eatthis said:
Latest Capri price sheet. The inner side of Iron Gate continues to struggle. They're also some of the smallest lots in the neighborhood. Otherwise, the outer side is doing surprisingly well considering they face Lake Forest Dr. which can get somewhat noisy. They do have the benefit of being much bigger lots and have a lower but unobstructed view.

Are these all available homes?

A view lot in Quail Hill (those on single loaded streets higher up) has more value to me than any HC home.

You have closer access to the elem and shopping and as previous posters have said, you don't have to worry about landscaping or window coverings... and a few of them have 3-car L garages.

irvinehomeowner said:
A view lot in Quail Hill (those on single loaded streets higher up) has more value to me than any HC home.

You have closer access to the elem and shopping and as previous posters have said, you don't have to worry about landscaping or window coverings... and a few of them have 3-car L garages.

Just curious, but how are the floor plans in Quail Hill homes that are similar in size to Hidden Canyon homes or something over 3,500 sqft?  I have never been to homes in Quail Hill.  Are they chopped up like Turtle Ridge homes?? Some people prefer the new home that they can customize, open floor plan and bragging rights behind the gates.

Goriot said:
Just curious, but how are the floor plans in Quail Hill homes that are similar in size to Hidden Canyon homes or something over 3,500 sqft?  I have never been to homes in Quail Hill.  Are they chopped up like Turtle Ridge homes??

There are some QH homes that are around 4000 sqft. Some also have pretty good views. But, the layout of these homes definitely feel dated and chopped up. They were built around the same time as the Turtle Ridge homes. The new open floor plan at HC is far superior.

fortune11 said:
I did compare versus turtle ridge and found the floor plans to be somewhat dated when compared with the HC layouts which felt more open and modern to me.  I do feel though that these older communities offer value in terms of large green spaces , something which HC has not focused on  in favor of higher density.

If there's an older home that's cheap per sqft for the location then you can always remodel.  $100k turns most houses into something livable.  Only downside is that you usually need cash.  I'd rather pay 100k over 30 years at 3.5%. :)

A wall seperating the kitchen and living room you can usually get that taken down no problem.  Worse case is that a support beam needs to be put in.
[/quote]

I too love the open floor plan and modern layouts in the newly built homes that are closer to Orchard Hills, but would like to be more centrally located towards 405 Jamboree/Culver; unfortunately those homes have older layouts.

Do you know if it's easy to get permits for these older homes to add backyard bi-fold doors and open it up for the California room feel?

Attachments

• terrazza_p1_640x420_family-large.jpg
    terrazza_p1_640x420_family-large.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 158
irvinehomeowner said:

But HC has 3-4 car garages and is guard gated.  Better floor plans too.

jcm91ca said:
I too love the open floor plan and modern layouts in the newly built homes that are closer to Orchard Hills, but would like to be more centrally located towards 405 Jamboree/Culver; unfortunately those homes have older layouts.

Do you know if it's easy to get permits for these older homes to add backyard bi-fold doors and open it up for the California room feel?

I think the biggest hurdle would be HOA approval.  Permits would be easy to get.  If I wanted everything a newer home has (CA room, large sliding glass doors, bathroom, kitchen, layout, no steps leading to living room, nice exterior, no ugly fireplaces, etc) I would just get a newer home. 

collected said:
jcm91ca said:

I think the biggest hurdle would be HOA approval.  Permits would be easy to get.  If I wanted everything a newer home has (CA room, large sliding glass doors, bathroom, kitchen, layout, no steps leading to living room, nice exterior, no ugly fireplaces, etc) I would just get a newer home. 

Homes can always be renovated but your location is forever.

lovingit said:
irvinehomeowner said:

But HC has 3-4 car garages and is guard gated.  Better floor plans too.
View lot over gate any day of the week.

I'm torn on the 4 car garage but it's not really a 4-car wide garage. QH has 3-car L garages.

This floorplan is awesome:

vicarafloorplan3.gif

eatthis said:
Latest price sheet for Marbella.

Checking their site plans today, it seems Capri has closed on quite a few of the irongate homes facing lake forest drive, although the ones w no view (other side of street) still haven't moved.  Given that they were showing available for almost forever , does anyone know if / how aggressive incentivizing was done to clear the inventory ?

Marbella homes still showing not much incentives . Given how much the high end  market has slowed to a crawl, wondering what is TB thinking here .  At this rate this community will probably not see full build out for a good 2-3 years from now , a lot of time to keep watching construction crews and the associated noise and pollution for those who have already moved in .  Any thoughts ?

Capri is definitely aggressive in closing out their sales by the end of this year. However, Marbella is clearly looking into 2017 & possibly 2018.

My question would be to the ones who moved in to Hidden Canyon recently to possibly share the breakdown of the demographics. Is it similer to the rest of Irvine having a very high concentration of FCB or is it more of a balanced suburban American neighborhood like Newport Coast?

My friend just locked into escrow and her family was able to get 95k worth of upgrades! So I know they are very desperate. The bubble is about to burst people :D

Did you friend buy a "quick delivery home, QDH"? 

Overheard they are more aggressive on those.... Not sure if Capri or Marbella is being more aggressive...

Has anyone noticed the influx of Vicara homes hitting the market in Quail Hill recently? These homes used to be hard to come by. Only ten of them have been on the market/sold in the past three years. Eight of these houses are currently on the market. Do you think these are Hidden Canyon transplants? Or people looking to make a buck after seeing that they can sell with prices similar to HC?

Regarding the attachment: The houses marked green are currently on the market for sale, and the houses marked blue are the ones that have been sold in the past three years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 11.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 11.07.24 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
I think it's people cashing in.

It's been over 10 years for some of these owners and they sold for the upper mid to upper $1ms then so if you sell for $2m to $3m, that's a good profit.

I like 512 Luminous.

27 Momento with one side open space is also a good location.

Since these already have landscaping, flooring, etc, these are better buys than HC. You won't get those kind of views down by the "coastal canyon".

Back