Here we go

I was watching. My favorite was when they reported that Palin would no longer be introducing McCain in the concession speech and maybe wouldn't even be on stage (she was in the end).

Palin looked like she was trying not to cry when they were on the stage.

Thank goodness she'll be heading back to Alaska. It gives me the chills to think what might have been if she and McCain had ended up winning.

I also noticed Palin barely holding back tears, and her husband's face was also very telling. I guess they already picked the furniture for the White House or whatever the VP's official residence is.

I gotta hand it to McCain though: his speech was fantastic, and he was holding up very well. I was really touched. I just wish he did not pick Palin as VP and gave more speeches like the yesterday's one during his campaign. I read some other blogs today and the consensus seems to be that Palin proved to be the kiss of death to his campaign...

Obama's speech was not a bad one either, but too long for my taste...

Palin did look sad. But she wasn't the kiss of death.

I seriously think that kiss was delivered when McCain won the nomination. I think that whatever "higher-ups" there were in the GOP fully expected it to be a race between McCain and Clinton. In that light, McCain's campaign made sense and he would have had a much better chance at winning. But long after he won his nomination, the fight was still going on the Dem side and Obama's eventual win foiled the strategy the GOP had planned. McCain picked Palin after Obama had made his choice for VP and, initially it was a brilliant counter-move, it was partially successful. But the failure, if you want to call it that, was in thinking that he ever had a chance at picking up disaffected Hillary voters. With that as the background, the crash of the stock market and the emergency measure taken by the government put both McCain's and Obama's economic plans in the spotlight; the contrast was stark. That was the final nail in the coffin for the GOP. Palin kept it from being worse by bringing out the base support that McCain couldn't generate on his own but Palin didn't cost him the election.

I was also really embarrased and angry at the people in McCain's crowd that booed Obama. Completely classless and insulting behavior. I expected the crowd to show at least as much grace as McCain, but maybe it reflected the reality that McCain really never represented them after all.

[quote author="Nude" date=1225932677]I was also really embarrased and angry at the people in McCain's crowd that booed Obama. Completely classless and insulting behavior. I expected the crowd to show at least as much grace as McCain, but maybe it reflected the reality that McCain really never represented them after all.</blockquote>

I thought the crowd's reaction was disgusting.

We don't really know - maybe McCain really DID represent them.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1225889435]Did anyone else watch Fox News tonight just for the schadenfruede?</blockquote>

Funny you mention it, I abandoned my standard CNBC for Fox News for the past two days and couldn't quite figure out why.

It was quite gratifying to watch Karl Rove run the numbers through his head at 6:15 and comment that McCain "couldn't get there" or something to that effect.

While I didn't vote for McCain, my heart did go out to him a little last night. He's a man who has served this country in more ways and over more years than most ever will. I thought his speech came across as sincere and touching. It must be heartbreaking for him - it's obvious that he wanted to be president so badly and he really did pour his heart and soul into the campaign to serve the country in yet another way. When you think about it, how many people do you know who have the stamina (at his age or even younger) to run through a campaign like this one, day after day, without showing a trace of being tired or worn down? I understand that it's required if you want to be president but I tip my hat to him nonetheless.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1225931208]Ior whatever the VP's official residence is</blockquote>

As a DC native I had to clarify:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Observatory">Naval Observatory VP Residence</a>

It is true, I think that McCain lost for a variety of reasons.

I was also appalled by the boos during such speech. I'm still to figure out whether they booed at the mention of Obama's name (the first boos were heard when McCain said that he called to congratulate Obama) or booed at McCain for not trying to put down Obama. Again, it was very sincere and dignified speech, and I'm glad I got to watch it live.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1225889435]Did anyone else watch Fox News tonight just for the schadenfruede?</blockquote>

When MSNBC announced Ohio for Obama I went straight to Fox to see what they were saying and was so surprised to see that they too had called Ohio. They seemed so somber, but I can't imagine that they felt the extreme sorrow that I did in '04. Having seen what Bush did the first 4 years, I was terrified of the next 4 and literally was depressed for days afterwards. I cried numerous times those first few days.

I was at the McCain rally on Monday night at 12:45 am in Prescott, AZ and was invited to sit on stage within 10 feet of John McCain. It was amazing to see his energy and stamina after 7 states of campaigning especially for a person of his age with the effects of his 5 years of captivity by the NVA. The opportunity to be up close to any candidate for that office will always give me goose bumps regardless of who they are or what my political views are as I am an American first and totally respect that office.

As a Republican since 1968 I changed to Independent when I left California 18 months ago so I approached this election with an open mind. Yes, at this age I lived through the political rise and assassination of John,Bobby and MLK. You might call me cynical based on my historical perspective but I still have a deep belief in our democratic process. As a veteran of the Viet-Nam era I have the utmost respect for John McCain and a disdain for unpopular needless wars and their effect on both our country and the country where they are fought.

I like many of the things that Obama offered in the beginning but could not vote for him due to his stance on gun ownership and his longtime relations with people who are into a social form of government. Remember that his job was to get money from the government and grants and to redistribute it through groups that met with his beliefs and political agenda. That is not a slam but a fact. That is what a community organizer does. He didn't create jobs, or product, or services. He did not generate profits from a business. He used other peoples money to shape and reach social goals. I am not saying that this is bad but it is what it is.

At this time I do hope that he can live up to the ideas that he set as goals in his acceptance speech. I give him my full support as President and truly hope for the country's benefit that his leadership can bring both sides together to solve the serious problems we now face. Washington politics and a politician's need for money are very challenging to a Presidents well meaning ideas and only time will tell if he can transend the quagmire of Democrats vs Republicans.

We need to reserve our judgements for 12-18 months to see who he selects as adviser's, cabinet members, and how much cross isle support he can actually accomplish. Lets see how he handles unforeseen situations that affect our country. It is far too early to say weather he will succeed or fail. We all need to give Obama a fair chance.

His multi-cultural and bi-racial background should give him more of a positive view from other countries at first. It will be interesting to see if this can be converted to political good will or if the first time he does what is in the "best interest of America" the other countries turn against him. Remember that he was elected P.O.T.U.S not president of the world. His first goal is to be re-elected in 4 years by a majority of this country so he may even have to butt heads with Nancy P. That will be exciting.

He may be the right person at the right time and if so then we will all be better for it. My greatest fear is that if he is unsuccessful then the millions of people that he got involved will become disenchanted with the system.

Lets go forward with a positive attitude and open minds.

Just a view from a Red, White, and Blue good 'ole boy.

Enjoy!

Back