Here?s what $1 million will buy you in Irvine

Anonymous_IHB

<A href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/20/heres-what-1-million-will-buy-you-in-irvine/10441/">http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/20/heres-what-1-million-will-buy-you-in-irvine/10441/</A>

Thank you for reminding me how far out of whack Irvine really has been in the last few years.

Million dollar tract homes? NFW

One Million Dollar should not be a tract home on steroid. The garage should be recessed back with a long driveway and a gate. Look at the classic home thread and the images represent wealth.

A million dollar home with vinyl windows, hollow core doors and concrete tile roof. That is the same spec for the remodel homes in the south side of Santa Ana and all of Compton.

Couples don't buy their wedding rings from Kmart but are willing to pay top dollars for house with Kmart Spec.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258777295]One Million Dollar should not be a tract home on steroid. The garage should be recessed back with a long driveway and a gate. Look at the classic home thread and the images represent wealth.

A million dollar home with vinyl windows, hollow core doors and concrete tile roof. That is the same spec for the remodel homes in the south side of Santa Ana and all of Compton.</blockquote>

Newport Coast had $3-5 million TRACT homes.

[quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258778062][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258777295]One Million Dollar should not be a tract home on steroid. The garage should be recessed back with a long driveway and a gate. Look at the classic home thread and the images represent wealth.

A million dollar home with vinyl windows, hollow core doors and concrete tile roof. That is the same spec for the remodel homes in the south side of Santa Ana and all of Compton.</blockquote>

Newport Coast had $3-5 million track homes.</blockquote>

May be track homes are worth more than tract houses?

I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

It feels unfair that we have to pay crazy prices to live around here, but it's really not. Whatever someone is willing to pay, I guess that is a fair price, even if that means there's an unreasonable premium placed on Irvine and all of SoCal.

If it weren't for family around here, I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258779005][quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258778062][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258777295]One Million Dollar should not be a tract home on steroid. The garage should be recessed back with a long driveway and a gate. Look at the classic home thread and the images represent wealth.

Newport Coast had $3-5 million track homes.</blockquote>

May be track homes are worth more than tract houses?</blockquote>

seriously... every spelling mistake I make... like little children

and correction, they are $3-8 million dollar homes.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

It feels unfair that we have to pay crazy prices to live around here, but it's really not. Whatever someone is willing to pay, I guess that is a fair price, even if that means there's an unreasonable premium placed on Irvine and all of SoCal.

If it weren't for family around here, I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.</blockquote>

No one is forced to live here.

[quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258787460][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

If it weren't for family around here, I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.</blockquote>

No one is forced to live here.</blockquote>

Except maybe incarcerated prisoners, but I guess they don't have to worry about housing costs.

I wasn't aware I was suggesting that anyone is forced to live here.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

Ever hear of the telephone, road trips, and holiday travel?

Climate, jobs, family are the only reasons homes got outrageously priced in the first place. Now, you have entire generations of people who can't deal with winter snow and ice, or heat and humidity, all cramming into the same little corridor between Santa Barbara and San Diego, stuck living with Mom and Dad until they graduate college, trying to live as close to work as possible, and wondering why prices are so high. Meanwhile a million dollars will get you acres of land with two or three houses in states commonly referred to as "flyover country".

Here... <a href="http://www.redfin.com/WA/Carnation/29425-NE-52nd-St-98014/home/21668747">go live in a forest 45 minutes from SeaTac International Airport, or 35 minutes from where the the local MLB, MLS, and NFL teams play.</a> Be warned, it might rain a bit.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258789414][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

Climate, jobs, family are the only reasons homes got outrageously priced in the first place. Now, you have entire generations of people who can't deal with winter snow and ice, or heat and humidity, all cramming into the same little corridor between Santa Barbara and San Diego, stuck living with Mom and Dad until they graduate college, trying to live as close to work as possible, and wondering why prices are so high. Meanwhile a million dollars will get you acres of land with two or three houses in states commonly referred to as "flyover country".

Here... <a href="http://www.redfin.com/WA/Carnation/29425-NE-52nd-St-98014/home/21668747">go live in a forest 45 minutes from SeaTac International Airport, or 35 minutes from where the the local MLB, MLS, and NFL teams play.</a> Be warned, it might rain a bit.</blockquote>

I have heard of those things, but it's really important to me to be close to my family. As a kid my nearest relatives were thousands of miles away and we rarely saw them. I don't want that for my son.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258789414][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

Here... <a href="http://www.redfin.com/WA/Carnation/29425-NE-52nd-St-98014/home/21668747">go live in a forest 45 minutes from SeaTac International Airport, or 35 minutes from where the the local MLB, MLS, and NFL teams play.</a> Be warned, it might rain a bit.</blockquote>

Heck, $1.4 million will get you the same sized house (or larger) in Riverside. You'll probably "only" get about two acres, though. I see five houses in Riverside between $1.25 and $1.5 million (not counting short sales). Lot sizes are .82, .99, 1.99, 2.03, and 2.07 acres. The three houses with about two acres are between four and five thousand square feet; the two on smaller lots are over six thousand.

This one posted on Housing Kaboom takes the cake, though:

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Wildomar/20575-Stage-Rd-92595/home/12436662">20575 Stage Road, Wildomar</a>

For Sale (MLS-listed)

<strong>$451,250</strong>

20575 STAGE Rd

Wildomar, CA 92595

Beds: 5

Baths: 3

Sq. Ft.: 3,580

$/Sq. Ft.: $126

Lot Size: <strong>21.17 Acres</strong>

Property Type: Residential, Single Family

Style: One Level

View: City Lights, Hills, Mountain, Valley

Year Built: 1980

Community: Wildomar (Cut Off/Clinton Keith Rd)

County: Riverside

MLS#: T09122529

Source: MRMLS

Status: Active This listing is for sale and the sellers are accepting offers.

On Redfin: 2 days

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258788930][quote author="RoLar_USC" date=1258787460][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

No one is forced to live here.</blockquote>

Except maybe incarcerated prisoners, but I guess they don't have to worry about housing costs.

I wasn't aware I was suggesting that anyone is forced to live here.</blockquote>

Commit a crime and get sent to Musick jail. Now you can live the high style of Irvine for free.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258789675][quote author="Nude" date=1258789414][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

I have heard of those things, but it's really important to me to be close to my family. As a kid my nearest relatives were thousands of miles away and we rarely saw them. I don't want that for my son.</blockquote>

You must be referring to your husband's family in Irvine while yours is still thousands of miles away?

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258789675]I have heard of those things, but it's really important to me to be close to my family. As a kid my nearest relatives were thousands of miles away and we rarely saw them. I don't want that for my son.</blockquote>

No judgments here, I was just pointing out why that kind of decision... multiplied by millions... ends up with people fighting for space, driving up prices. But it's also a four day drive to see my Mom, so I understand your side of it too.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258790656][quote author="traceimage" date=1258789675][quote author="Nude" date=1258789414][quote author="traceimage" date=1258786437]I feel like for a million dollars you should get a nice stately-looking house, 5+ bedrooms, and 4,000 sq ft. Plus a bunch of land around the house, too.

I have heard of those things, but it's really important to me to be close to my family. As a kid my nearest relatives were thousands of miles away and we rarely saw them. I don't want that for my son.</blockquote>

You must be referring to your husband's family in Irvine while yours is still thousands of miles away?</blockquote>

Actually, both of our immediate families are around here, in OC & LA. My parents are originally from the East Coast so my parents' relatives lived (and still do live) back there, so I never got the chance to really get to know my grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. I feel like I missed out on having those extended family relationships.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258791029]I feel like I missed out on having those extended family relationships.</blockquote>

Totally off topic, but I often wonder how many people go into parenting thinking "I'll never do that to my kids" or "when I have kids, I'm going to make sure they have x,y,and z" based on their own perception of what they lacked growing up. My mom got married divorced several times, and while each one of them was successively worse, I was always glad when she did it. However, I made an oath that I would not get married until I was positive to my core that she was the one and that if it failed, I would never remarry. I wonder how many other people base their choice on what they didn;t have, rather than what they did?

/hijack

[quote author="Nude" date=1258789414]

I've obsessed over "where else could I live" so many times it is not even funny. My analysis comes to Seattle being one of only two other places on the entire US map I would live. I love Seattle. Except for the rain part. Honestly, if I never traveled east of Las Vegas again, I'd probably be ok. Mostly, I just can't stand the East. I'm sure they feel the same about me. Have a great weekend, all!

;)

Back