Here is the Irvine Company?s $200 million plan for the old Macy?s space

aquabliss said:
Plastic straws will be $1 soon.  Enjoy them while they last.

catch me outside drink shops in my brown trench coat with straws of all kinds for half that price

Irvinecommuter said:
A+ malls are thriving while B/C level malls are dying.  Malls are moving away from anchor tenants to be an shopping/dining experience.

The focus is moving away from shopping to more tactile/experiential (like dining).  A lot of luxury/top malls put on events to bring in people.
https://www.mckinsey.com/business-f.../our-insights/the-future-of-the-shopping-mall

Enclosed high end malls catering to the Asian shoppers will continue to thrive. Luxury good is highly sought after. Outdoor malls must have vertical height to cast longer shadow. Asians do not like the sun.

irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
aquabliss said:

catch me outside drink shops in my brown trench coat with straws of all kinds for half that price

Will avoid anyone with a trench coat trying to show me their straw. :)

Trench coat in 100 degrees weather, either a hobo invade spectrum, or a suspicious character that will draw attention mall cop and stop you even before you can show any straw. Now I have to resort to the public fountain. Let's be a little bit more discreet.

Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
aquabliss said:

Will avoid anyone with a trench coat trying to show me their straw. :)

Trench coat in 100 degrees weather, either a hobo invade spectrum, or a suspicious character that will draw attention mall cop and stop you even before you can show any straw. Now I have to resort to the public fountain. Let's be a little bit more discreet.

Tis okay, I'll work it through a front man propping up an aspiring male model in cheapo H&M suit  and raise the price to $2/straw.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Irvinecommuter said:
A+ malls are thriving while B/C level malls are dying.  Malls are moving away from anchor tenants to be an shopping/dining experience.

The focus is moving away from shopping to more tactile/experiential (like dining).  A lot of luxury/top malls put on events to bring in people.
https://www.mckinsey.com/business-f.../our-insights/the-future-of-the-shopping-mall

Enclosed high end malls catering to the Asian shoppers will continue to thrive. Luxury good is highly sought after. Outdoor malls must have vertical height to cast longer shadow. Asians do not like the sun.

Kinda agree with you that outdoor mall with vertical heights promotes shades. Although I still see giant hats and face covers along with robes like still worn. Some by religions some by habbits. The vertical height helps the grand visual more in my opinion.

I was there over the weekend... there are still places a vampire can't go.

And shade doesn't help with the humidity/heat.

I still prefer a hybrid mall, part outdoor part indoors.

The one thing an indoor mall can do well that an outdoor one can't is be multiple story and thus doubling or tripling retail space without having to use up more land (like Great Park condos :) ).

And when it gets cold or rainy (or should I say if), Spectrum isn't a fun place to go.

But... it is pet friendly.

Back