Help With Finding New Construction Irvine Home

Asumis

Hi everyone!

I've been a long-time lurker here and have always appreciated the insights and help that everyone provides so I'm hoping I could get some help with our current situation!

tl;dr: we're looking to move back to SoCal around late Q3 2021 and need help with what the best new construction community is in Irvine and thoughts on realistic chances to buy a home there given how the priority list works (we won't be able to get on the priority list until late August most likely since we need final confirmation from my employer that we can move and we'll need to sell our house here first).

We are OC natives who lived in Irvine/Newport Beach back in 2010-2017 prior to me going to the east coast for grad school. We ended up moving to the Bay Area in 2019 after I graduated as I'm working in Silicon Valley and bought a house here in April of last year. We've always wanted to go back to SoCal and it turns out that with COVID and all this WFH talk, now my employer is allowing us to apply to relocate. The LA office has been approved as a landing spot so now I'm keen on actually getting the ball rolling with getting back to SoCal.

We just had a baby girl last month so things could get a bit hectic moving so soon, but unfortunately I won't get the final green light about my approval to relocate until early August, and from my calls with some communities (Fresco @ EW/OH), it seems like we won't be able to get on the priority list until after we sell our house (non-contingent pre-approval). Since we won't be listing our house until I find out for sure I can relocate, that puts our priority list timeline back to August and it seems like Fresco is on its last phases, with an extension later?

I've been scouring the new construction options in Irvine and it seems like there aren't many options and competition is still crazy high! Since we were renting previously in Irvine, I'm not too familiar with the the new villages and all the pros/cons to each. I saw in the other thread regarding the various cons with each village (seems like it's really pick your own poison...), but is EW is the best bet? I guess it's just some pesticide contamination (is the asphalt smell still in EW...and is it really that bad in OH like everyone who lives there smells it all day)? What are all of your thoughts on what the best community is to target given my timeline?

At first I was thinking Genoa would be good since it's gated and the houses are on the larger side, but it looks like many of you don't think very highly of KB Homes. When we were looking at purchasing a new construction home in the Bay last year, I thought KB Homes was rated as the highest (tbh all the homebuilders have really bad reviews...). We ended up buying a new construction Toll Brothers home here and things have been mostly fine, but is KB Homes really that bad? Also, with the asphalt factory issues in OH, maybe Genoa isn't that great then (KB Homes + asphalt smell issues?!). Is the smell issue only a certain part of OH or does it practically affect everyone living there?

What are all of your thoughts on what our best options are given our circumstances? Mostly it's the fact that we won't be able to join any priority lists until late August, if they require non-contingent pre-approvals, such as Fresco. Is that non-negotiable or you all think I can see if we can work something out? The housing market is crazy hot here where we live too and most listings around our area are selling within 5-7 days @ 300-500K over listing price, so I don't think we'll have any issue selling, but it'll suck to have to wait until late August to get on priority lists given how in-demand these houses in Irvine are. I could list our house and sell before August and get on it sooner, but it's a pretty big risk if the relocation request gets declined for some reason.

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to give enough details on our situation and thanks for everyone's input!

Asumis said:
esquire22 said:
Absolutely no smell on the Groves side of OH.

Are Genoa (KB) and the Reserve (IP) both on the Groves side?

No, Genoa (KB) is on the Groves side and all the IP homes are on the other side of Orchard Hills on the Reserve side (both areas are guard gated).

I second the zero smell comments, I recently just moved to Padova in the Groves.

My friends bought in Genoa and they seem to enjoy it.  Even Shea's build quality has gone down significantly, I'm finding all sorts of issues with my build.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Asumis said:
esquire22 said:

No, Genoa (KB) is on the Groves side and all the IP homes are on the other side of Orchard Hills on the Reserve side (both areas are guard gated).

I really dislike how KB staged and designed the homes at Genoa. Layout is fine but just their choice of color and upgrades look gaudy at best.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Asumis said:
esquire22 said:

I really dislike how KB staged and designed the homes at Genoa. Layout is fine but just their choice of color and upgrades look gaudy at best.

Couldnt agree more especially the plan 1 with all the dark brown and flooring

Do you have an agent and loan officer you're working with? They might be able to offer some ways for you to demonstrate ability to make non-contingent offers to the builders.

A friend of mine is pulling out cash from his current home, since he has full equity. He was able to get on the list. If/when comes time to commit, he will sell his home to resolve that loan before taking out mortgage towards the new home. In the mean time, he'll invest the cash somewhere so it's not just sitting. But it's liquid for the builders to see. But it is not without risks.

At the minimum, maybe you can find out how many phases are left in each community so you can project for August when you're relo is approved + home gets listed.

We also listed and sold our home, thanks to record low inventory and hungry buyers, we negotiated a 6 months rent back till the new home is completed.

ucla bruin said:
We also listed and sold our home, thanks to record low inventory and hungry buyers, we negotiated a 6 months rent back till the new home is completed.

With how popular rent backs are in today's market what most buyers don't realize is that they are only allowed to rent back for 60 days without it being considered an investment property and therefore a higher mortgage interest rate. They are technically in violation of their attestation that they will take possession within 60 days as owner occupied.

If the underwriter is savvy and reads the purchase contract carefully then it can be easily caught. In my negotiations I always make sure that we stay 59 days or less and that the buyers will take possession no later than day 60.

Cares said:
ucla bruin said:

With how popular rent backs are in today's market what most buyers don't realize is that they are only allowed to rent back for 60 days without it being considered an investment property and therefore a higher mortgage interest rate. They are technically in violation of their attestation that they will take possession within 60 days as owner occupied.

If the underwriter is savvy and reads the purchase contract carefully then it can be easily caught. In my negotiations I always make sure that we stay 59 days or less and that the buyers will take possession no later than day 60.

For rent backs that exceed 60 days, it's best to do a lease agreement off to the side between the buyer and seller if that is what is needed. 

Still, even a lease on the side you are against the terms of your loan. It can be immediately called and you have to refinance it to the prevailing investment property rate. Wait to season the home to refinance it back to primary residence.

maybe it's not too much of a concern in OC area, but doing rent backs has its risks too right? In the event they decide to not cooperate, they can stay in there since one cannot evict them due to eviction mortarium not expiring? I know it's an edge case, but with covid and what not, anything is possible. I would hate to need to pay a mortgage and not be able to kick them out. Is there any legal clause that would protect the owner in the event the previous owners do not cooperate?

sleepy5136 said:
maybe it's not too much of a concern in OC area, but doing rent backs has its risks too right? In the event they decide to not cooperate, they can stay in there since one cannot evict them due to eviction mortarium not expiring? I know it's an edge case, but with covid and what not, anything is possible. I would hate to need to pay a mortgage and not be able to kick them out. Is there any legal clause that would protect the owner in the event the previous owners do not cooperate?

No real protection other than you can file for mortgage forbearance which delays your mortgage payments.

Here is an article for your outlined scenario that actually happened to a couple.https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-es...s-to-move-out-in-eviction-moratorium-loophole

ucla bruin said:
Do you have an agent and loan officer you're working with? They might be able to offer some ways for you to demonstrate ability to make non-contingent offers to the builders.

A friend of mine is pulling out cash from his current home, since he has full equity. He was able to get on the list. If/when comes time to commit, he will sell his home to resolve that loan before taking out mortgage towards the new home. In the mean time, he'll invest the cash somewhere so it's not just sitting. But it's liquid for the builders to see. But it is not without risks.

At the minimum, maybe you can find out how many phases are left in each community so you can project for August when you're relo is approved + home gets listed.

That's actually exactly what another TI member recommended and I was actually able to get pre-approved as non-contingent earlier today. Will need to get started with sending these out to the communities we're interested in to get on those lists!

All good points.

OP should discuss with an experienced real estate agent and understand the options/risks/mitigations as we did, especially what has been mentioned about the lease back and what should be kept separate.

In any case, when we were looking at new construction, we were told there was a list. But once we had identified a lot we wanted, the builder was accepting our offer. But each community and builder could be different.

Asumis said:
ucla bruin said:

That's actually exactly what another TI member recommended and I was actually able to get pre-approved as non-contingent earlier today. Will need to get started with sending these out to the communities we're interested in to get on those lists!

Congrats! If you have any questions about specific communities, feel free to message me. We've just gone through similar exercise recently.

Back