Help tracing a water leak (or finding someone to help trace it)

icey

So I don't entertain that much but have family in town so have been running the dishwasher, clothes washer, and A/C nonstop the past few days much more than usual. Also disposed of a lot of very soft but solid food through the in sink garbage disposal but don't think that would have backed anything up since there's no oil or anything like that in there.

I have noticed in the middle of my kitchen there seems to be some water coming up from underneath the tiles. I am trying to figure out what exactly is causing this as it will soak a towel after about a day. The inconvenience is one thing but don't want to deal with structural issues due to water damage especially if it's the foundation.

The water spot is a couple of feet from the kitchen and especially the dishwasher so that's my first suspicion.

Second suspicion is maybe the A/C water overflow valve (I am assuming the overflow valve close to the A/C is actually FROM the A/C. I had not noticed this before but seems to have fast dripped a hole into the dirt below it, although my brother took a look and looks like the "seep" spot is at a higher elevation than where the overflow valve is, so it would be hard for this overflow to get that high since it would have to slightly go uphill. However, the side of the house itself looked like it was getting soaked from this overflow valve. I put a angled paver stone under this valve to guide the drip away from the house and see if that helps at all.

Was thinking to just run one thing at a time for a few hours and see if it gets better or worse but because it very slowly "seeps" up, it is difficult to measure.

Should I just get a plumber to help troubleshoot this? Since I don't know where the actual leak is I'm not sure exactly what I would tell him to fix. Sorry I'm pretty dumb with this stuff, so hoping people here might have other ideas on where to start.

ps9 said:
Slab leak?  I would call someone immediately.....
Slab leak is worst case scenario, more likely a leak from one of your appliances.  But, nevertheless, if it's coming through your tile, you have a major problem that needs to be addresses immediately.  Your kitchen flooring will need to be removed and the floor will need to be dried with industrial fans and dehumidifiers.  Trust me, I know.  Major suckage ahead.  You have my sympathy.

Also confused by your post... Isn't the A/C overflow outside?  How does that cause a water spot in the middle of your kitchen?  Also if water is dripping out the overflow valve, you need to get a HVAC guy to come check it out.. Under normal conditions there should not be any water coming out..hence the term OVERFLOW valve... you're A/C is probably being overworked..maybe need a freon recharge?

If it's anything like this video, they said it was a leak from the dishwasher.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS1ztvd8AM

Perhaps run a load in the dishwasher then pull out the unit to see if there is water on the floor.  There should be two screws attaching the dishwasher to the bottom of your counter.  You should be able to slowly pull it out to check the floor and the hoses for any signs of water. 

I did a bit more investigating and turned off the A/C for the night since it's cool enough anyway.

Here's some additional info:

1) Within a 5-10 foot radius of this spot are the following potential water sources:
    - powder room - Sink and Toilet
    - Kitchen sink
    - Dish washer
    - overflow valve for A/C (but outside on the other side of the wall)

I checked all of these for any possible leaks and pulled out the fridge and the washer especially and they are 100% dry, no sign of moisture

2) I think that the reason the water is seeping up in this particular spot is because the mortar/caulk between the tiles was not sealed all the way so it was able to come up. When I was pulling out the fridge (about 5 feet away from this spot), there is an unfinished area with no tile and under there was some slight water

3) So the only source of water I can find is from outside, so a little perplexed if that makes any sense at all cause I don't see any sort of trail leading into the house but then again I can't see under the floors

Only other thing I can think of is a leaky pipe in the walls?

I will try to get pics in the morning of the A/C overflow valve, still assuming it belongs to the A/C, unless this is some OTHER overflow valve. I tried to take pics of the floor but you can't even see it, it's not until you actually apply pressure to the tiles that the water comes through the grout/mortar/caulk. Still doubt that is the issue but only visible sign of water anywhere.

Appreciate everybody's help and suggestions, and will give IrvineRealtor a call when I get some actual decent pictures.

Regardless of how this turns out will get a pro in as soon as possible just not sure what kind of pro to call in.

FRguy said:
If it's anything like this video, they said it was a leak from the dishwasher.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS1ztvd8AM

Perhaps run a load in the dishwasher then pull out the unit to see if there is water on the floor.  There should be two screws attaching the dishwasher to the bottom of your counter.  You should be able to slowly pull it out to check the floor and the hoses for any signs of water. 

This looks exactly like what is going on with my floor, and exactly the amount of pressure you have to apply with your foot to get the water to come up. That's how I first noticed it by getting a wet sock.

I am having a hard time locating the source. IrvineRealtor can you take a look at that vid and let me know if you know someone that can help?

I am thinking a plumber

Be careful with restoration guys... they'll give you the doom and gloom scare tactic pitch....  definitely shop around (but quickly though)... a regular general contractor should be sufficient...  and also be careful if the guy you carefully researched comes out to give you a quote and in turn recommends someone else.. these "bounce" referrals never work out for me.. research carefully..

Awesome, thanks so much everybody. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I think there is a leak in an internal pipe, not coming from any of the appliances or the sprinklers or A/C outside.

Got some calls in to get someone out ASAP to get this thing handled and will probably need some water remediation after that. Hoping this is just a pin hole in one of the pipes.

icey said:

I think there is a leak in an internal pipe, not coming from any of the appliances or the sprinklers or A/C outside.

Got some calls in to get someone out ASAP to get this thing handled and will probably need some water remediation after that. Hoping this is just a pin hole in one of the pipes.

Is this the waterline from the sink to the fridge?  In some homes the water line for the fridge water dispenser is not a dedicated line but tapped from the line going to the kitchen sink and than goes underneath the kitchen flooring....

ps9 said:
icey said:

Is this the waterline from the sink to the fridge?  In some homes the water line for the fridge water dispenser is not a dedicated line but tapped from the line going to the kitchen sink and than goes underneath the kitchen flooring....

If it is there may be a shutoff valve underneath the kitchen sink, separate from the lines supplying the sink faucet.

Okay guys plumber came out this morning and found cause within 5 minutes ! Basically it's the line from the hot water. He shut off the valve from the hot water and I was gone all day and the floor is totally dry now.

Permanent fix will be to locate the line and then either re-route it or epoxy it.

I was all for the epoxy fix but reading up on it am a little paranoid about BPA and other contaminates leeching into the water. This is the hot water only but will also get into drinking water. I think if this was an outgoing line or a main line I'd be all for it but found tons of studies like the below one so would rather stick with copper even if it means ripping out the walls.
http://www.chemsec.org/images/stori...henol_A_in_relinig_of_water_pipes_ChemSec.pdf

Insurance said they will pay for opening and closing the walls to reroute the line, so going to discuss that option also.

icey said:
Okay guys plumber came out this morning and found cause within 5 minutes ! Basically it's the line from the hot water. He shut off the valve from the hot water and I was gone all day and the floor is totally dry now.

Permanent fix will be to locate the line and then either re-route it or epoxy it.

I was all for the epoxy fix but reading up on it am a little paranoid about BPA and other contaminates leeching into the water. This is the hot water only but will also get into drinking water. I think if this was an outgoing line or a main line I'd be all for it but found tons of studies like the below one so would rather stick with copper even if it means ripping out the walls.
http://www.chemsec.org/images/stori...henol_A_in_relinig_of_water_pipes_ChemSec.pdf

Insurance said they will pay for opening and closing the walls to reroute the line, so going to discuss that option also.

Glad you were able to find the problem quickly. Hopefully not too much damage was done.

No Quarter said:
How old is the place?

Is it possible this is covered under the home warranty?

It was built in 1998. Insurance said they would cover cost of line location, and to open up and seal the re-route.

Just wanted to give an update since everyone has been so helpful.

Looks like it was two hot water lines leaking, and both were capped today so the leak has been fixed. Damage is very minimal, doesn't seem like anything a fan won't clear up, so no wood or anything got soaked. I guess that is the blessing of slab pipes is that any leaks get mitigated by going back under the house for the most part. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). The bad part I guess of the pipes under the slab is that they are difficult to service.

We will have to open up the walls and re-route both lines next week. Estimated cost is about $3,000 (OUCH). Insurance will cover leak detection and patching, and any moisture mitigation services, don't think it will cover the re-route.

Currently all sinks and a shower are offline with hot water, but that's okay, the master shower is good so that's all I need right now lol

I opted for copper lines since I have drinking water concerns about the epoxy plastic and also using plastic PEX pipes methods.

Apparently our high chlorine water can beatup copper pipes pretty badly. My water heater went out earlier this year and was replaced also for leaks.

Back