HELP please. European family in OC for a year. Where to live?

joe33 said:
I would recommend Ladera Ranch.  Very family friendly and social with neighborhood events and BBQ's. Tons of families with young kids.  Schools are still very highly rated, but not at the level or Irvine.

Biggest drawback to Ladera is usually the commute to Irvine is 35 to 40 minutes, but if you're working from home, that is not an issue.
I echo this thread. Ladera is as close to "white picket" fence America as anything in Orange County. They have tons of neighborhood events, etc.  Brea or Yorba Linda could be options as well.  Downside to all of these parts is commutes to work, if you can work from home, I'd say this is the right fit. 

If I worked at home, personally, I'd live further south, probably Ladera or I'd slum it in San Clemente (in general I have a negative view of San Clemente for whatever reason) and find a place with an ocean view (but its the only place nearby with an ocean view I could likely afford, haha). 

plee said:
Are you aware that your post has racist undertones? The vast majority of students in Irvine schools were born in the US. Being majority Asian-American doesn't make Irvine unAmerican.

No, I am not aware of any racist undertones. You misunderstand what I am trying to say. Or maybe it is me that is not being clear.

As I wrote I have travelled to more than 50 countries, many in Asia. I have even lived in Japan for a year. I have absolutely nothing against Asians.

The main reason for us to take this year in the US is the language. Coming from a small country with a minor language, English is becoming increasingly important. When my kids move on to study in a university, most books are in English. When they are going to get a job, it is very likely that they will have to communicate in English. Or they might study or work abroad. Giving my kids a year in a US school and a US community will make them fluent in English (they are already quite good). With this being the main goal I would like to avoid sending them to a school where most students are newly immigrants too, having English as their second language.

My impression after reading on this forum and elsewhere was that most of the Asians in the area came here recently. That they are not fluent in English, that they speak Korean/Chineese etc at home, with their friends and at the neighbourhood barbecue. So if my wife took my youngest kid to the park, and all the others parents there talked everything but english, we would have missed out on our goal.

This has nothing to do with race. If there were an area where most people had German or French as their main language, I would not have moved there either.

I don not care about race, sex or religion. As long as the neighbourhood consider themselves as Americans, and they are fluent in English, it would be a good choice. If I have misunderstood what the Asian community in Irvine is like, then great! Looks like a fantastic place to live :)

I have travelled all over USA. The diversity is something that i really appreciate about this country. Americans to me are not Texan hillbillies with NRA bumper stickers. Well, that too. But not only that :) California is my favourite state, much because of the diversity here. But at the same time I would like to live in a English speaking neighbourhood for the one year I am here with my family.

I really hope that my neighbours, where ever we will end up, comes from all over the world inviting us to Tandoori Barbeque and other exotic delights :)

:)

JP

Homes which back to a lake often become epicenters for celebrations, drawing neighbors from near and far, especially if they have a small dock and personal boat. For example: Eastlake Village in Yorba Linda -- 4th of July Boat Parade. Another lake community, The Keys in Lake Forest hosts the annual "Sonrise" Service at Easter, etc.

There's nothing wrong with Texan Hillbillies with NRA bumper stickers.  The Texan Hillbilly is probably more stereotypical American who is inclusive, outgoing, and social with his neighbors and community.  We're d@mn proud of our Bill of Rights, despite the fact that Wayne LaPierre (CEO of NRA) is a jack@ss and should have been flushed down the toilet 20 years ago.  So long as he stands on their podium I refuse to give them another cent.

As for the stereotypical American experience, I recall one time when I was fishing on Redondo Beach Pier and seeing security forces expel the mostly Hispanic fishermen for a Hollywood filming.  The film crew bused in a group of young, comely white people and had them fill the pier for duration of the filming.  Gotta keep up appearances!

This forum makes it feel like all of Irvine is recent chinese immigrants buying homes with cash.  While there is a higher percentage of cash buyers and immigrants here, your typical Irvine school and Irvine neighborhood will be predominantly english speaking.  There will be enclaves that might be more recent immigrants but even then, the kids will speak english.

We live in Woodbury and while we occasionally come across people with limited english, the majority of people are American or have been here for a long time.  We have no problems finding folks to talk to at the park.

As far as easily meeting neighbors, Ladera Ranch, Mission Viejo, etc (South County) will be easier with many people leaving their garage doors open and kids playing on the street.  That doesn't happen in our neighborhood.  Most people just drive into their garage and its hard to run into them with out an organized activity.  That being said, one of the neighbors invited the street to their house and hosted a block party and almost everyone came and was excited to meet the neighbors.  As a foreigner, you might find that you become the central point of your street bringing people together who have been living next to each other for years.

i completely agree with qwerty's first choice location....it is most similar to the 1980's american culture I grew up in,  I was the only asian kid in my class from K- grade 4 in Irvine back then.  Had kids that were into skateboarding and surfing and "relaxed" way of schooling. I don't ever remember doing homework, not the way kids are pressured nowadays

WTTCHMN said:
I don't blame him.  If I moved to Norway for a year, I'd be pretty disillusioned if half my neighbors were Arab migrants.  I'd want to live in a log cabin on a fjord, bathe in Neutrogena, and eat salmon everyday on Wasa crispbread.  I'd telemark to work, party with Nobel laureates, and my kids would be dating Norwegian supermodels.

Haha, your description is very accurate, this is my everyday life! But we got tired of the Salmon, that's why we move out. Maybe we should swap houses? ;)

But your point is valid. If an American wanted to go to Germany to learn German, he would not want to live in an area with mostly Norwegians...

:)

JP

If you are looking for a true American experience, but also looking for good schools, I would look into renting a place in La Ca?ada Flintridge in L.A - I wouldn't even come to the OC to be honest. L.A has SO much more in terms of culture, diversity, and places to see and explore in L.A vs OC. It's crowded, it's filthy in some places compared to Orange County, but you really can't beat the diversity and culture there.

We have nothing against the OC at all, it's a wonderful place to live, if not a safe bubble where the schools are great in many areas, & great place to raise a family, but there really isn't much in terms of culture here, whereas L.A has SO much more to offer in terms of museums, arts, culture, restaurants, shopping etc.

If you are open to L.A, I would suggest venturing into La Canada Flintridge, Montrose, or La Crescenta. La Ca?ada Flintridge has excellent schools, the other areas you would have to send them to private. Those areas in L.A county are beautifully maintained, and have the suburban feel without all the noise, pollution and craziness of the other areas.

Also, with regards to safety ratings, since that was on your list of requirements, La Ca?ada Flintridge I believe had a 9-10/10 safety rating. South Pasadena is also a great area, but the safety there is roughly 6-7/10. It's not an unsafe city by any means, as we lived there and never had issues, but it's not a 10/10 like La Ca?ada.

Also, if you are looking for places in L.A close to the beach, you could rent in Malibu or Pacific Palisades, but those areas are a bit out of the way. Of ALL the places in L.A we've seen, I would LOVE to live in La Ca?ada, or South Pasadena the most... Very desirable areas to live.

Either way, what an exciting venture for your family, and kids! Good luck with your search!

Bullsback said:
joe33 said:
I would recommend Ladera Ranch.  Very family friendly and social with neighborhood events and BBQ's. Tons of families with young kids.  Schools are still very highly rated, but not at the level or Irvine.

Biggest drawback to Ladera is usually the commute to Irvine is 35 to 40 minutes, but if you're working from home, that is not an issue.
I echo this thread. Ladera is as close to "white picket" fence America as anything in Orange County. They have tons of neighborhood events, etc.  Brea or Yorba Linda could be options as well.  Downside to all of these parts is commutes to work, if you can work from home, I'd say this is the right fit. 

If I worked at home, personally, I'd live further south, probably Ladera or I'd slum it in San Clemente (in general I have a negative view of San Clemente for whatever reason) and find a place with an ocean view (but its the only place nearby with an ocean view I could likely afford, haha).

The OP might be scared off by all the Mormons in Ladera.  But that also means no sex or alcohol for his kids, as opposed to the schools in Newport.

FWIW, there are many Norwegian expats living in San Clemente.

La Canada is smoggy and too far from the beach.

Just want to give OP an idea of what to expect in newer area of Irvine.

This is a picture of brand new elementary school opened in 2014 and this are the students and staffs. 

Cypress-Village_Web-Image.jpg

http://newsflash.iusd.org/2014/09/c...and-staff-get-off-to-a-picture-perfect-start/

lnc said:
Just want to give OP an idea of what to expect in newer area of Irvine.

This is a picture of brand new elementary school opened in 2014 and this are the students and staffs. 

Cypress-Village_Web-Image.jpg

http://newsflash.iusd.org/2014/09/c...and-staff-get-off-to-a-picture-perfect-start/

To be fair, when I was in Norway, I came across a class full of kids on a field trip.  They all looked the same (blonde and blue-eyed), and I couldn't tell any of them apart.  It reminded me of Children of the Corn.

WTTCHMN said:
The OP not looking for an "authentic" American experience, but rather a stereotypical one.  I presume that when he returns home, he wants to tell his friends he lived next door to a Real Housewife.  He ran on the beach everyday like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch.  And his kids partied with the likes of MTV Laguna Beach.

I don't blame him.  If I moved to Norway for a year, I'd be pretty disillusioned if half my neighbors were Arab migrants.  I'd want to live in a log cabin on a fjord, bathe in Neutrogena, and eat salmon everyday on Wasa crispbread.  I'd telemark to work, party with Nobel laureates, and my kids would be dating Norwegian supermodels.

So you're saying he should rent in La Jolla in San Diego?

On a serious note, I'd probably think about Old Towne Orange.  The public schools are a bit rough, but for K-8, St. John's Lutheran private school is pretty good, and most Norwegians are Lutheran so that may work.

Aside from the that, Old Towne Orange has an eclectic mix of old and young, college students, family starting hipsters, established families and businesses.

highly walkable with pleasant mix of cafes in Old Towne, social neighbors and walkable proximity to the train station which opens family tours via train to other parts of Cali.

Other than that, I'd recommend East Side Costa Mesa or Newport Beach around Dover Heights or down strand on the Peninsula.

On second thought, go down to the strand or the island in the Newport Beach, based on your targeted budget, that should hit it about right.

Aliso viejo would be my recommendation.

Although the best American experience you might be able to give your kids is the diversity.  Seeing all different race of people having one similar culture is something unique in my opinion.

qwerty said:
Cmon guys - if JP wanted an Asian experience he would go to China for a year. If his interpretation of the American cultural experience skews a little white so be it. The fact that he is giving his kids this experience is pretty awesome

Don't get me wrong. The OP is absolutely entitled to seek whatever kind of experience he wants. There's nothing wrong with wanting a white experience during his year here. It's a perfectly reasonable desire since that is how America is primarily portrayed in Hollywood.

However, what I take umbrage at is the suggestion that Irvine is somehow similar to living in Asia due to the ethnicity of its residents. It's that kind of thinking that makes most people consider Asians as an exotic "other" rather than a part of the American mosaic. As a foreigner, it's not incumbent upon the OP to be aware of this, but as an Asian-American, I think it's upon us to be vigilant and constantly remind/educate wherever misconceptions occur.

For those who are not Asian, it's understandable why you might think like that.  It's probably due to a lack of interaction with Asian-Americans. 

If you are Asian, don't let comments like that go by unchallenged. It's only by sharing your perspective as an Asian-American that you can change attitudes. I certainly don't want my children to grow up in a country that continues to always define them by their race first and assumes that they are foreigners.

I'd consider the East Bluff part of Newport Beach. With 4 kids you will be driving a lot to drop your kids at 3 different schools.  Not all towns have bus services.  With East Bluff- all 3 school levels are within walking distance. 

Back