Help deciding our new home in Irvine

irvinehomeowner said:
bones must be related to frank69m.

Just kidding... yes... you can smell that, even taking Warner to the District or if you take your car to get serviced... or drop off hazardous waste, but I think Columbus Square/Grove closer to Warner gets the brunt of it.

Cmon IHO dont drag columbus square down to columbus' grove level. We are at redhill/edinger - step your game up - no poo smell for us.

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
GH said:
I also agree that the BR homes would have resale challenge compared to Irvine short term, but who knows in the long term ..

The gentrification of Lake Forest?

I believe that you brought this up before, LF and Foothill Ranch is largely built out so the population is pretty much set. 

well gentrification means the existing population gets pushed out and the wealthy (FCBBBBBBs) comes in.  personally I don't think this will happen since as many have pointed out, there's no upside to BR, but GH was talking long term so who knows? maybe?

I guess it's possible but with Irvine being a FCB haven, I see no reason why wealthy FCBs would move out to LF or FR.

Ladera Ranch was supposed to the alternative to Irvine 5 years ago.  According to Redfin, the median listing price is about $100 sq/ft less than Irvine ($328 v. $425).  The median sales price is about $90 sq/ft less ($321 v. $404)  The average number of offers for LR is 1.5 vs 2.7 for Irvine.

I don't think Redfin numbers include new home sales...most of the new homes are selling at $450 per sq/ft.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just kidding... yes... you can smell that, even taking Warner to the District or if you take your car to get serviced... or drop off hazardous waste, but I think Columbus Square/Grove closer to Warner gets the brunt of it.

Cmon IHO dont drag columbus square down to columbus' grove level. We are at redhill/edinger - step your game up - no poo smell for us.
Yeah... my bad... I forgot which was which... Square has the railroad. :)

Homie said:
SoCal said:
Sam78 said:
thoughts? we are as confused as mud.

Thanks,

My advice is if people who don't even have school-aged children in the school system/s are giving you advice on schools, take it with a grain of salt. That would be like Iho giving you dieting advice. Also, if more well-rounded advice on housing is what you crave, I would suggest visiting the City Data forums or Redfin forums.

OoOoo BURN!!

Well, you know what they say. "Revenge is a dish best served cold."  :)

OpenSky said:
SoCal said:
That would be like Iho giving you dieting advice.

SoCal said:
As we've seen, not everybody is able to master the art of the "classy f--- you" like you and Irvinehomeshopper.

Indeed.

You can sleep well tonight, Open Sky.  :) Our "Love/Hate relationship" dates back years but Iho is aware I love him (at absolutely any size) ever-so-slightly more than he hates me... err, I mean... I hate him. I understand, it is confusing to a new member. Heck, it's confusing to me, too.  :p

bones said:
well gentrification means the existing population gets pushed out and the wealthy (FCBBBBBBs) comes in. 

Just like the Chinatowns in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia?

Oct. 17, 2013: "CHINATOWNS THREATENED BY GENTRIFICATION"
http://blog.education.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/17/chinatowns-threatened-by-gentrification/

"Asian populations in all communities are decreasing while rent and median housing value are increasing.

White income in Boston?s Chinatown increased to $84,255, while Asian income dropped to $13,057; the number of family households in New York?s Chinatown dropped by 12.6% while non-family households increased by 21.4%; the white population of of Philadelphia?s Chinatown grew by 233%. (!)"

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

you mean the railroad sandwiched between silent crossings (harvard/edinger and harvard/redhill)? actually the freight train has been honking the horn because the corner of edinger/kensington is considered a construction zone.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

you mean the railroad sandwiched between silent crossings (harvard/edinger and harvard/redhill)? actually the freight train has been honking the horn because the corner of edinger/kensington is considered a construction zone.
Are maglev trains primetime now? When I used to live in that area, I was farther away from the trains than Square was and I can hear/feel the rumbling every time they came through.

But then again, I could also hear the Disney fireworks too.

#dogears

bones said:
SoCal said:
bones said:
well gentrification means the existing population gets pushed out and the wealthy (FCBBBBBBs) comes in. 

Just like the Chinatowns in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia?

Oct. 17, 2013: "CHINATOWNS THREATENED BY GENTRIFICATION"
http://blog.education.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/17/chinatowns-threatened-by-gentrification/

"Asian populations in all communities are decreasing while rent and median housing value are increasing.

White income in Boston?s Chinatown increased to $84,255, while Asian income dropped to $13,057; the number of family households in New York?s Chinatown dropped by 12.6% while non-family households increased by 21.4%; the white population of of Philadelphia?s Chinatown grew by 233%. (!)"

The wealthy Asians don't live in Chinatowns.  The ones that grew up in Chinatowns don't go back. And I speak from first hand experience. I know you are all about that.

Exactly...also Chinatowns are generally located in the least desirable areas of a city.  They are usually the last one to get gentrified in an urban environment.  Gentrification occurs when the location is prime but immensely underdeveloped.  Usually, it's an area with a low income population who get pushed out by those with a lot more money.  LA is just getting around to gentrifying Chinatown with the re-development of downtown. 

That is not what you have in FR or LF.  They're basically settled areas with pockets of vacant space. 

Gentrification is also not limited to Chinatowns.  The MO is the same though, rich people take up prime locations forcing the slightly less wealthy to find new areas to live in.  Those new areas were not desirable but developers go in and re-develop the area and push out the poor residents. 

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Are maglev trains primetime now? When I used to live in that area, I was farther away from the trains than Square was and I can hear/feel the rumbling every time they came through.

But then again, I could also hear the Disney fireworks too.

#dogears

not sure where you lived, but i have never felt any rumbling. perhaps the homes that backup to edinger can feel rumbling but we can not feel anything.  i used to live right next the train tracks in college park and when the freight train passed by i could feel a little rumbling like you said, but that literally backed up to the train tracks.

qwerty said:
not sure where you lived, but i have never felt any rumbling. perhaps the homes that backup to edinger can feel rumbling but we can not feel anything.  i used to live right next the train tracks in college park and when the freight train passed by i could feel a little rumbling like you said, but that literally backed up to the train tracks.

Qwerty, where you are in Tustin is as good of a place to live as any other in Orange County. I got love for Tustin. I'll never understand how a train track or a waste mgm't facility can offend a person's good senses, even being a deal-breaker... while the 9th largest dump in America - Bowerman Landfill, a TCE plume, a Superfund site, exhaust fumes from the 5/405, do not. (I'm not necessarily referring to Iho, btw. Just an observation from TI over the years.)

SoCal said:
qwerty said:

Qwerty, where you are in Tustin is as good of a place to live as any other in Orange County. I got love for Tustin. I'll never understand how a train track or a waste mgm't facility can offend a person's good senses, even being a deal-breaker... while the 9th largest dump in America - Bowerman Landfill, a TCE plume, a Superfund site, exhaust fumes from the 5/405, do not. (I'm not necessarily referring to Iho, btw. Just an observation from TI over the years.)

Your preaching to choir SoCal. I really like the central location in OC. I completely agree with your points, all of irvines negatives somehow aren't that negative but Tustin is a dump. I think once the entire area is built out it will lose some of its stigma. Although the stigma may be subsiding, every 3000 sq ft home in the neighborhood is closing at/around $1M.  Due to its central location we can explore more food choices in neighboring cities. We have been hitting up Costa Mesa a lot recently. We go to suzie cakes in newport every weekend to help out the baby to sleep since it's only 15 minutes away.

We were in the same boat but have decided to stop looking at Baker Ranch because of the vicinity of the jail. WHile it might not matter to many, it was a psychological barrier in our mind.  We also looked at Ladera Ranch and Coto but have decided to focus our attention in Irvine. 

qwerty said:
SoCal said:
qwerty said:

Your preaching to choir SoCal. I really like the central location in OC. I completely agree with your points, all of irvines negatives somehow aren't that negative but Tustin is a dump. I think once the entire area is built out it will lose some of its stigma. Although the stigma may be subsiding, every 3000 sq ft home in the neighborhood is closing at/around $1M.  Due to its central location we can explore more food choices in neighboring cities. We have been hitting up Costa Mesa a lot recently. We go to suzie cakes in newport every weekend to help out the baby to sleep since it's only 15 minutes away.
That will change... your kid doesn't go to school yet. :)

But then again, by that time, OC Register might rank Tustin Legacy's new schools as gold medal performers... or you will be in San Diego. :(

Back