Hawaiian Pineapples Available at Ansar Gallery

woodburyowner

Stopped by over the weekend and saw Maui Gold pineapples that are from Hawaii!  In case you didn't know, most pineapples from the big producers such as Dole and Del Monte import the pineapples from Costa Rica.  It's very rare to see a pineapple from Hawaii outside of Hawaii. 

Make sure to pick a firm one.  Most don't look that good, but if you pick correctly, you should be able to get a good one.  I just cut one and it was incredibly sweet and juicy.  They are priced at $1.99 so you can't go wrong.

woodburyowner said:
Stopped by over the weekend and saw Maui Gold pineapples that are from Hawaii!  In case you didn't know, most pineapples from the big producers such as Dole and Del Monte import the pineapples from Costa Rica.  It's very rare to see a pineapple from Hawaii outside of Hawaii. 

Make sure to pick a firm one.  Most don't look that good, but if you pick correctly, you should be able to get a good one.  I just cut one and it was incredibly sweet and juicy.  They are priced at $1.99 so you can't go wrong.

"Most don't look good, but if you pick correctly."

Great advice. So what are your tips to pick a pineapple that doesn't look good?

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:

"Most don't look good, but if you pick correctly."

Great advice. So what are your tips to pick a pineapple that doesn't look good?

Go by firmness all around the pineapple.  And then look at the bottom of the pineapple and make sure there isn't a lot of mold.  There generally is mold there, but try to find one with the least amount.

We occasionally order them online. I'm not a pineapple guy but these are very tasty.

qwerty said:
We occasionally order them online. I'm not a pineapple guy but these are very tasty.

"Make sure there inst a lot of mold at the bottom of the pineapple."

Eyephone advice - anything with mold avoid

eyephone said:
qwerty said:

It's almost impossible to find Pineapples on the mainland without any sort of mold on the bottom of the pineapple.  It's really not a big deal once you cut the outer shell off. 

woodburyowner said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:

It's almost impossible to find Pineapples on the mainland without any sort of mold on the bottom of the pineapple.  It's really not a big deal once you cut the outer shell off.

Are you from Hawaii? (People from the island use that term mainland)

Went to Zion yesterday and saw the same Maui Pineapples.  Exactly one year after I posted this thread.  Get them while you can!  There were some Costa Rica pineapples mixed in so make sure you get the Maui ones.

A tour guide in Hawaii said they don't grow much pineapples in Hawaii anymore because it's cheaper to import pineapple from another country .  Perhaps the Maui pineapples are being imported to Hawaii from Costa Rica and getting a made in Maui slapped on em...

I don't 100% believe in made in labels...customs is suppose to investigate these things, but they're too busy looking for bombs in containers to deal with this fraud.

WTTCHMN said:
eyephone said:
No offense. But I don't shop at Ansar Gallery.

Because it's in Tustin?
I don't like Ansar Gallery because they don't do any housekeeping of their parking lot. Got a cup of coffee at McDonald's in the same plaza early in the morning and the Ansar Gallery parking lot is an eyesore of carts and trash.

Back