Haunted House in Laguna Hills

acpme_IHB

the other thread about haunted houses in irvine and abandoned homes in rancho santa fe made me think of this story so i thought i'd share it.

a few yrs back, a RE appraiser friend of mine said she went to appraise a house in laguna hills and freaked out when she got there. she immediately left and asked if some friends to go back with her later. we couldn't understand why she was so afraid but it sounded like curious fun.

it was wintertime so when the rest of us were available to help her out after work, it was nearing dark. it didn't take long to figure out why the house creeped my friend out. the house was a 10,000 sq ft custom in nellie gail ranch, built in 1981 by a chinese family... and it appeared to have been abandoned since the 80s. there was buick of that era sitting on the parkway, almost wrapped up by the weeds and vines that had grown around it. the house had no power so we had to go in with flashlights. the design and layout suggested the architect was doing heavy coke back in those days because the place was a literal maze. oddly shaped rooms, ceiling lines, layout that made no sense like a long corridor that would led to a closet. neverthless, we had to confirm everything that was on the listing, i.e. if the listing said the house had a meatlocker, then we had to go find it and check it out.

it appeared that there might have been squatters living there since some of the beds looked like they had been slept in and still had sheets and blankets. bathrooms had cups and toothbrushes. there were fast food wrappers left here and there. some of the other bedrooms were completely torn apart, beds flipped, sheets halfway pulled off. door jams were splintered with the locks on the doors in the out-position indicating the doors were bashed in.

the squatter theory however didn't make sense as some of the other rooms were completely untouched - as if frozen in time. the study/office, aside from a thick layer of dust everywhere, was immaculate. one would think this room would have been ransacked. books, personal files and documents were all neatly shelved. there was even a bucket of coins sitting on a shelf. on the desk there was an open ledger, checkbook, bills, and some airplane tickets dated to the late 80s. whoever was there obviously intended to come back... but apparently never did. it was a unsettling feeling to think about a family just vanishing, and us uncovering a 20-yr old crime scene. as we continued to move through the house, those first few moments of turning a dark corner, stepping into the next room, or opening a closet door was marked by a momentary dread of what we might find.

by the way, when i mentioned meatlocker earlier, i wasn't kidding. the house did indeed have one. we opened it and found a few banker boxes filled with documents (we didn't go through them.) the kitchen had multiple woodburning brick ovens, with small clay pots (um, urns perhaps??) sitting next to them. i dared one person to open the fridge. big mistake - it was still full... and probably hadn't been opened since the 80s. the backyard pool wasn't much better. it was filled with foamy green, standing water - probably the accumulation of yrs of old rain water. there was supposed to be a trail leading to some stables but we weren't able to find the trail because of overgrown weeds and roughage. nor would anyone dare venture down into the basement.

and this i found very disturbing. the family had owned two adjacent lots, but everything was built only on one lot. on the neighboring lot, there was just a wooden playground set built perfectly in the middle of the huge lot. the playground was ringed with a circular concrete strip and the lot itself had a circular ring of hedges. and for some reason, it seemed like there had been some maintenance here because the weeds and hedges here weren't overgrown. the image of a lone playground on that lot just seemed odd and out of place. if anyone's seen the original x-files movie, you'll know what i mean.

what makes it more strange is the home is surrounded by multi-million dollar equestrian estates. anyone familiar with nellie gail and know the history of this home? i have no clue how it managed to stay in that condition for 20 yrs without neighbors or the hoa doing something about it. aside from the state of the home, it's an amazing property. huge view lot, multi-level yard with pools, outdoor kitchen and grill, tennis court, stables, etc. i'd love to post pics but out of respect to whoever might have/is living there, i'll just post the pool and playground.

This house is in Laguna Niguel (sorry it's not in LH). The woman died in the house according to one of the neighbors and the carpet had been ripped up in several rooms. I wonder if a flipper bought it or if someone plans on living in it. If a flipper did buy it will he mention that someone died in it when he sells.

Thomas Guide Location: 951 H7

Estate of: Ursula Maria Pezzolla

Case No: A-243011

6 Pienza

Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Minimum Bid: $649,000.00

Deposit: $15,000.00

Open House

June 18, 2009 - Noon to 2 PM

Description

Three bedroom, two bath, two car garage, built 1992, approx 2248 sf

[quote author="Cameray" date=1251431666]This house is in Laguna Niguel (sorry it's not in LH). The woman died in the house according to one of the neighbors and the carpet had been ripped up in several rooms. I wonder if a flipper bought it or if someone plans on living in it. If a flipper did buy it will he mention that someone died in it when he sells.

Thomas Guide Location: 951 H7

Estate of: Ursula Maria Pezzolla

Case No: A-243011

6 Pienza

Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Minimum Bid: $649,000.00

Deposit: $15,000.00

Open House

June 18, 2009 - Noon to 2 PM

Description

Three bedroom, two bath, two car garage, built 1992, approx 2248 sf</blockquote>

I would think you have to mention that someone died there - at least for a period of time. Our "across the street" neighbor committed suicide (in the house) many years ago and it took quite a while for the property to sell. It sold at a lower-than-average price for sales at that time. They did disclose the death to the new buyer. Her daughter was creeped-out and refused to move into the house for quite some time, but no ghosts were ever spotted. I don't know if she disclosed the death when she sold the house last year.

No one could prove that living directly below the power lines causes cancer. The same uncertainty also is applicable to ghost existence. However, what is clear is buyers would look else where rather than taking the risk buying a compromised property.

I could be mistaken but I thought that by law any death in a home has to be disclosed to the buyer. Like forever... Anyone know the answer to this?

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1251455633]I could be mistaken but I thought that by law any death in a home has to be disclosed to the buyer. Like forever... Anyone know the answer to this?</blockquote>

I think it's the "like forever" part that is hard to follow. Who actually tracks who died in a house? My cousin died after a long drawn out cancer battle in her father's house 14 years ago, does he have to disclose this if he decides to sell the house or is there someone who tracks this and already knows? If he doesn't mention it, who will? I think this is a ridiculous idea that is impossible to track. The only times anyone would really know about this is if there is a murder in the house. Death is an inevitable part of life and where someone dies seems pretty irrelevant to me. If this is important, then maybe we should disclose when anyone dies at a place of business, a park, a school or anywhere else.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1251455633]I could be mistaken but I thought that by law any death in a home has to be disclosed to the buyer. Like forever... Anyone know the answer to this?</blockquote>

Three years. See attached example file.

Personally, I'm more attentive to the meth lab disclosure right afterwards...

-IR2
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> <a href="http://www.talkirvine.com/converted_files/images/forum_attachments/417_q5nWryoHGKof8A8TspnI.pdf" target="_blank" class="gc-files">SellerPropertyQuestionnaire _ Seller Property Questionnaire - 11-07.pdf</a> <span class="gc-filesize">(57 B)</span> </fieldset>

ghost parrot, really? because i happen to have a great recipe for that.

RECIPE: Country-Style Ghost Fowl with Apples

10 mL butter

750g ghost, sliced (chicken, turkey, duck, or other fowl works best)

1 onion, chopped

375mL chooped celery (about 3 stalks)

1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 mL salt

5 mL pepper

7 mL dried thyme

150 mL apple cider or apple juice

15 mL all-purpose flour

125 mL whipping cream

1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ghost slices and cook for 1 to 2 min on each side, or until semi-translucent. Drain excess ectoplasm. Ignore ghost bones as they will soften more during baking. Place in a baking dish and set aside.

3. In the same skillet, on medium heat, add the onion, celery and apple and cook for 2 to 3 min.

4. Add the garlic and seasonings and cook for 2 min more.

5. Taste. Add more garlic if ghost is still too evil tasting.

6. In a bowl mix the flour with a bit of cider to form a thin paste.

7. Stir the remaining cider, cream and the paste mixture into the skillet. Bring to a boil then simmer to reduce the sauce to desired thickness.

8. Pour over the ghost and bake for 20 to 25 min

Serves 6.

Back