HAT (Hostile Asian Takeover) in Irvine

frank69m_IHB

First off, I'm by no means prejidice.

Has anyone noticed that a lot of buyers from the far east have come in a made all cash offers on properties. I think this is the reasons why Irvine hasn't sunk as some of the other areas of OC.

I was looking at a couple of properties in Quail Hill and Woodbury and after a couple of weeks, my realtor told me that some asian couples came in with all cash offers on properties I was kinda interested in.

Anyone else notice this?

Another thing I like about Irvine is the Asian population, I have a lot of Asian Friends....fantastic People.

By the way, us Brits have owned the TM on "Invasion" for 30 years, as in "British invasion" I'm afraid you're gonna have to come up with something a little more original asianinvasion.

;-)

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1230732921]I don't see it.... but I do see alot of REALLY bad driver recently.

-bix</blockquote>

Not that i'm racist, but i think i am, but the bad driver's aren't the asians anymore, they are the mexicans. For example, the slowest car in the fast lane or the carpool lane is always, ALWAYS a mexican who is obeying the speed limit so they aren't pulled over and deported. Darn them for evading the law by obeying the law

Well, in the 80's the asians came in to buy up discounted U.S. assets, and we bought them back at a discount from them.

[quote author="serious weapon" date=1230739193]UCI= University of Chinese Immigrants and/or Civic's and Integras.</blockquote>
I thought UCI stood for Under Construction Indefinitely.

Remember, the carpool lane is NOT the fast lane. Wanna speed? Do it in the fast lane, not the carpool lane. Sheriff buddy of mine tells me that CHP is much more likely to ticket you for speeding in the carpool lane than in the fast lane. Something about higher occupant count per vehicle in carpool lane = greater threat to safety of more people, blah blah blah. (/END HI-JACK)

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1230765742][quote author="serious weapon" date=1230739193]UCI= University of Chinese Immigrants and/or Civic's and Integras.</blockquote>
I thought UCI stood for Under Construction Indefinitely.</blockquote>

Probably, but I'm just playing along to the H.A.T. theme... Got Rice?

[quote author="NoThereThere" date=1230770396]Remember, the carpool lane is NOT the fast lane. Wanna speed? Do it in the fast lane, not the carpool lane. Sheriff buddy of mine tells me that CHP is much more likely to ticket you for speeding in the carpool lane than in the fast lane. Something about higher occupant count per vehicle in carpool lane = greater threat to safety of more people, blah blah blah. (/END HI-JACK)</blockquote>

Continuing hijack of this thread.....I agree with this statement above. I recently got pinched on the 91 Fwy for doing 81 mph in the carpool lane (on the way to my mother-in-law's house no less --- I must be the first guy ever caught speeding to see his mother in law). While 81 mph is certainly moving along, by no means was I blasting past cars in the other lanes --- they were going about the same speed. But I guess you attract more attention in the carpool.

And to further support the statement above, Mr. CHP gave me stern lecture about endangering my wife and child. I started to make a point about how it was probably more dangerous if I was to go 65 and had some monster SUV riding my ass....but he did not look like he was buying that arguement, so I backed off it quickly...

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1230775938]whoa! Tough luck CK!!

81mph on the 91?? That must have been 3am in the morning!!</blockquote>

The worst part of the whole incident is our normal route is to take the 5 north to San Fernando Valley, but as we got to the 5/91 split the 5 was totally backed up so I dived on the 91 West at the last second to avoid traffic. DOH!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeover#Hostile_takeovers

<em>If management may not be acting in the best interest of the shareholders (or creditors, in cases of bankrupt firms), a hostile takeover allows a suitor to bypass intransigent management. This enables the shareholders to choose the option that may be best for them, rather than leaving approval solely with management. In this case, a hostile takeover may be beneficial to shareholders, which is contrary to the usual perception that a hostile takeover is "bad."</em>

Management = IAC

Shareholders = Home owners in Irvine

Suitor = Wealthy Asian Buyers

Stocks = Homes

Stock investors hoping to buy shares cheap = Bitter Renters hoping the RE market would crash in Irvine

[quote author="Serious Weapon" date=1230776171]I got rolled for doing 137mph on the 57 at 3am. I beat that ticket along with six others.</blockquote> I've had my fair share of speeding tickets...topped out at 105 mph on New Years Day on the 405 a few years ago, but how did you beat a ticket for 137! Did the officer not show up in court?

[quote author="Newport Trojan" date=1230788545][quote author="Serious Weapon" date=1230776171]I got rolled for doing 137mph on the 57 at 3am. I beat that ticket along with six others.</blockquote> I've had my fair share of speeding tickets...topped out at 105 mph on New Years Day on the 405 a few years ago, but how did you beat a ticket for 137! Did the officer not show up in court?</blockquote>

Written Trial by Declaration, it's a beautiful thing. This particular ticket, the officer didn't write his side of the incident which led to a dismissal.

Tickets 2, 3, 4 and 6, the officers didn't show up for the Trial de Novo(2nd chance). Ticket #5, I spaced and forgot my court date, lucky for me, the officer forgot to show up and the ticket was dismissed.

Cali's a great place to speed, but ever since gas prices got ricockulous, I do 65mph in lanes 2, 3 and/or 4. If people can respect the passing lane and have a bit of common courtesy/sense, everyone's commute will be that much more pleasurable.

[quote author="NoThereThere" date=1230770396]Remember, the carpool lane is NOT the fast lane. Wanna speed? Do it in the fast lane, not the carpool lane. Sheriff buddy of mine tells me that CHP is much more likely to ticket you for speeding in the carpool lane than in the fast lane. Something about higher occupant count per vehicle in carpool lane = greater threat to safety of more people, blah blah blah. (/END HI-JACK)</blockquote>

Forget the #1 "Fast Lane" and even the car pool lanes at times. If you really pay attention it is usually the extreme right or 2nd to the most right lanes that move through moderate traffic fastest. Too many Sunday drivers in the #1 lane and they will never yield to the right for you.

I'll start by admitting that I have my prejudices and I'm judgmental. I don't make judgments based on race, but I'm aware of the stereotypes (I spent 5 years and a degree in Sociology with an emphasis in social control & deviance, and a degree in Socio-psychology). Oddly enough, I wrote a paper on driving behavior/perceptions and race/age/gender. My conclusions were that age/race/gender do correlate with driving behavior. If you observe an individual or aggregate group and study their value on proximity and personal space, you'll get a good idea of what kind of driver they will be. If they don't scan their environment, surroundings, get really close to bystanders, and bump in to things and people as pedestrians, they are likely to be drivers who never check their mirrors, look over their shoulders, drift in their lanes, and do horrible parking jobs. If the person is a fast walker, always looking forward, avoids crowds and zips by people, they are likely to be fast drivers who weave in and out of traffic (sometimes but not always cutting people off in the process). My study concluded that people's views and stereotypes were especially strong in regards to the out-group (the group of people whom they do not identify e.g a Anglo-Protestant woman would view a Black-Buddhist man as an out-group). And not surprising at all, people felt rated themselves as better than average drivers...which is humorous because we all can't be "above" or "below" average.

Anyways, I have a few explanations to why Irvine has seen the multiple waves of Asian and Asian-Americans over the last 30 years:

1) Orange County, but especially Irvine represents the planned, in order, and spaced out city that is highly valued.

2) Irvine has a perception of good public schools and education is highly valued.

3) Irvine has low property and low violent crime...being robbed or burglarized is worse than being assaulted for some Asian folk.

4) Irvine homes are seen as good investments...Asians and investments, need I say more.

5) Asians are the most socially and professionally accepted minority to Anglos outside of Europeans and Australians.

6) Immigrants coming from Asia are pretty 'wealthy,' (mostly Japanese, Taiwanese, and South Koreans...there aren't any more influxes of refugees into America).

7) Minorities move where other like minorities move (enclaves are formed).

Waves of Asian migration:

Pre 1930s: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Filipinos immigrated based on labor needs and exclusion acts of the US gov.

1930s - 1980s: Fear of communism and Cold War tensions allowed refugees from Asia, Cuba, South America, and Eastern Europe to enter the US.

1980s - present: Wealthy Asians come over for business, education, and economic reasons.

White Flight and the Asians follow:

Ever notice in every metropolitan city, there use to be a Little Italy near the Chinatowns? After the Irish came Italians, then the Chinese...minorities were relegated to boroughs one on top of another (often causing alliances and tensions). As the Irish, Italians, Polish, Russians (and lighter skinned folk) assimilated to American culture, they adopted American values and blended right in. Groups that did not assimilate as quickly stayed in their enclaves (some by choice, others by force). Long story short, the path taken by most is as follows:

Asians move out of cities and into suburbs (San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, Cerritos, and Orange County). The younger generation seek higher education, get professional jobs, move to suburbs. Later, the older generation seek to retire and be near their children/grandchildren...moving to OC. Anyways, it's obviously more complicated and everyone's case is specific to them, but ask yourself, "how and why did I make the move to Irvine?" Like-minded people move in the same direction.

As the fast lane conversation, traffic school will tell you that there is no fast lane...the maximum speed limit is the same in all lanes. That's how CHP can always justify their citations.

Haha... BK Jr. Nice post but I'm going to disagree with your study, only because I am a fast walker(NYC Guy) but I am the most cautious and courteous driver... I'm the one who's stupid enough to let you in the lane and then gets upset because I didn't get a thank you... I hate those peoples.

Anyway, if you guys happen to see me drift on to Portola from Sand Canyon, please wave hello when I get stuck at the traffic light on Portola and Jefferey.

Back