Has anyone tried Dinner A'Fare?

NewToOC_IHB

In the Woodbury Town Center they opened a store called Dinner Affaire where you can prepare premium meals in bulk for a set fee depending on number of meals and servings of each. Supposedly the cost of preparing the meals there is cheaper than if you had to buy the ingredients yourself because of the economies of scale. Has anyone tried this company either in Irvine or their other location (Ladera I think)?

I'd be interested to try it since I think they make a party out of it - serve wine etc.

Unless this is different then any other stores, their meats, vegs, etc are all frozen. Unless you don't have a stove at home, you can achieve far better "economy of scale" by buying frozen raw, or half cooked food at Costco. One of the stores (different name I think,but exactly same format) closed down in mission viejo (I-5 and Oso, next to Starbucks) after a little more than a 1 year. Unless I am missing something, I don't believe the business model makes sense.

They have a bunch of these in Scottsdale. It's a fairly good idea, to go with some friends and you can make a weeks worth of meals in about 30-45 minutes. Not sure about the taste, but yes--I think they are frozen.

<a href="http://www.dinnerafare.com/about.cfm">About Dinner A'Fare</a>

I have never tried it but I have two friends who love it. They go and make a night of it. You can customize the meals the way you want them and all the ingredients are pre-chopped and everything for you. I cook a lot at home and enjoy that but I would be interested in checking it out. If you want to try it maybe I will go with you! Sounds like it could be fun. <a href="http://www.dinnerafare.com/prices.cfm?locid=352599&chooseloc=1">Here are the prices </a>for the Irvine location.

You'd think I'd spell it right since I walk by it most days but apparently not. :)

Thanks for the link SoCal. I'll pm you because I would like to try it and it would be more fun with company. Other IHBers welcome. Also I have to locate some coupons for it that they are always mailing over.

There is a "Super Suppers" in Mission Viejo, and quite a few "Dream Dinners" locally as well. Same concept as Dinner A fare

[quote author="acpme" date=1231484867]6 meals for 2-3 ppl = $115. seems pricey for eating in.</blockquote>

= $6.38 per person / per portion. Not too bad. When I make my weekly meal plans and grocery shop, I calculate it and try to keep that number under $4-5 but it gets harder as prices are going up. Plus I usually buy imported ingredients, fresh herbs, and things that cost a little more but it can be done cheaper. With left-overs making lunch, I can usually get it just over $3 though. Not sure what the portions are like at these places such as Dinner A'Fare.

Can we pick different meals for the 6 meal package or I wonder if they all have to be the same. I would be willing to try it if I can pick different types of meals to be included in the 6 meal package.

[quote author="kayochan" date=1231492590]Can we pick different meals for the 6 meal package or I wonder if they all have to be the same. I would be willing to try it if I can pick different types of meals to be included in the 6 meal package.</blockquote>

Yes, I know they are all different. Here is a <a href="http://www.dinnerafare.com/menu.cfm">typical menu</a> you would choose from.

I walk by that place all the time and it always appears empty. I think the place will be toast before 2010. Nice concept but not sure if folks in the area are into socializing while cooking expensive meals. Might as well dine out.

Back