Hardwood Flooring Depot

SoCal said:
Looks good. I think it's a good idea you kept the stairs carpeted w/ having a small child. 

My wife hates wood for stairs. They look nice but not practical

qwerty said:
SoCal said:
Looks good. I think it's a good idea you kept the stairs carpeted w/ having a small child. 

My wife hates wood for stairs. They look nice but not practical

Looks great, qwerty! Did you do wood on the second floor too?

I have been meaning to post updates. We used Hardwood flooring depot too, worked with Reza. There were a few issues but they were fixed. We did carpet and wood with them. I really liked our final choice of wood and Reza's input was pretty spot on. Will update my other post with a more detailed review of all the vendors we vetted (they all seem like good choices).

@ whome - we did just the first floor. My wife prefers carpet in the bedrooms/hallways upstairs.

qwerty said:
@ whome - we did just the first floor. My wife prefers carpet in the bedrooms/hallways upstairs.
As it should be.

I don't know why ps9 wants to put hard flooring upstairs... makes it noisier and less warm.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
As it should be.

I don't know why ps9 wants to put hard flooring upstairs... makes it noisier and less warm.

Nothing wrong with hardwood floors upstairs.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
As it should be.

Nothing wrong with hardwood floors upstairs.

Hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs gives the impression you ran out of money.

Qwerty, I really like the way that they didn't use those ugly quarter round molding. Your floor shows true workmanship. I'll definitely look them up. Thanks for the picture.

WillJoy said:
Qwerty, I really like the way that they didn't use those ugly quarter round molding. Your floor shows true workmanship. I'll definitely look them up. Thanks for the picture.
I think you can only do that if you replace the baseboards. If you use existing baseboards they have to use the quarter rounds.

Yep - It is why if you are spending the money on flooring, you should spend the few hundred bucks to do the baseboards.  Quarterround just looks so cheap in comparison. 

Bullsback said:
Yep - It is why if you are spending the money on flooring, you should spend the few hundred bucks to do the baseboards.  Quarterround just looks so cheap in comparison.

I think the quarter rounds are a nice touch. Matter of preference really

So we went to Hardwood Flooring Depot recently... they've expanded since I was last there and it looks like they do all types of flooring... carpet, tile etc.

One thing I noticed is they seem to be focusing less on hardwood and more on laminate and this new vinyl plank product.

The vinyl plank looks interesting as it's waterproof and scratchproof. It's called CoreTec and it's a vinyl layer (with wood grooves) on a cork plank so it's actually soft like wood would be. Has anyone tried this product? It's on Houzz but I'm wondering if any TI member has installed it.

The one thing about wood is I'm hesitant about the upkeep and water issues if I install it in the kitchen.

Sounds interesting.  Is this vinyl product the same color through-and-through?  I'm thinking the cork plank is light?  One thing I despise is dark hardwood that chips or dents and shows the light core.

Also is the cost per SF comparable?

aquabliss said:
Sounds interesting.  Is this vinyl product the same color through-and-through?  I'm thinking the cork plank is light?  One thing I despise is dark hardwood that chips or dents and shows the light core.

Also is the cost per SF comparable?
You can't scratch it, so there is no layer variation you need to worry about like with engineered wood.

I do think you can cut it (as it is vinyl) but it will require an exerted effort to do so. On Houzz I read that it's prone to "denting" so they recommend using furniture pads for heavy things like tables and sofas.

My other concern is the wood grain pattern repetition. I'm OCD with stuff like that so I'll notice it even if no one else does (I do that with ceramic/porcelain tile).

As for the cost, it's approximately half that of engineered wood, which is actually less than the cost of laminate (which I think is about 60-75% of cost of wood).

I think the Urban Plates in Crossroads uses a vinyl plank product on their floors.

irvinehomeowner said:
So we went to Hardwood Flooring Depot recently... they've expanded since I was last there and it looks like they do all types of flooring... carpet, tile etc.

One thing I noticed is they seem to be focusing less on hardwood and more on laminate and this new vinyl plank product.

The vinyl plank looks interesting as it's waterproof and scratchproof. It's called CoreTec and it's a vinyl layer (with wood grooves) on a cork plank so it's actually soft like wood would be. Has anyone tried this product? It's on Houzz but I'm wondering if any TI member has installed it.

The one thing about wood is I'm hesitant about the upkeep and water issues if I install it in the kitchen.
This sounds like a nice product. I've been hearing from some people in the industry that vinyl is back and better than engineered wood, etc....I just don't know how to trust it. Sounds like they made a ton of strides with some new technology (i'm not to the point where I have began researching flooring in depth). 

Bullsback said:
irvinehomeowner said:

This sounds like a nice product. I've been hearing from some people in the industry that vinyl is back and better than engineered wood, etc....I just don't know how to trust it. Sounds like they made a ton of strides with some new technology (i'm not to the point where I have began researching flooring in depth). 

How does it look in person?

My biggest beef with laminate flooring like Pergo for an example is that it looks kind of fake.  But the price, durability and ease of care are some of big pluses.

If I have very young children, pets or thinking of renting out the home in the future, this is the kind of product I would definite using.

Back