Hard Currencies

PANDA_IHB

Holy Smokes!, Canadian Currency kicked butt this week. Could this possibly be the top for the dollar and the bottom for the Canadian? The Canadian Dollar is so under priced right now it is not even funny. I wish that i had more dollars to convert. I wouldn't touch Irvine Real Estate with a 100 foot pole, but buying real estate in Toronto may not be a bad idea. If the currency starts to strengthen and the real estate prices starts to go up in Toronto, you've got three things going for you. 1) strength of the currency, 2. appreciation of real estate, and 3. i guess if you collect rent, you'll get paid dividends in a strengthening currency. I am very optimistic on where Canada is headed as a country as they are in much better shape than us.

I remember back in 1998, during the Asian financial crisis my dad converted a big chunk of his over valued U.S. dollars for the Korean Won, and he made out very well. On average, the conversion is $1 for 1000 Won. It is now 1500 Won for a $1 U.S. dollar which is absolutely CRAZY!!

If you have ever dreamed of vacationing in Asian or Europe. This is probably the ideal time to do it. In couple of years.... all the Europeans and Asians will be vacationing here as our dollars will be practically worth nothing.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225344790]Holy Smokes!, Canadian Currency kicked butt this week. Could this possibly be the top for the dollar and the bottom for the Canadian? The Canadian Dollar is so under priced right now it is not even funny. I wish that i had more dollars to convert. I wouldn't touch Irvine Real Estate with a 100 foot pole, but buying real estate in Toronto may not be a bad idea. If the currency starts to strengthen and the real estate prices starts to go up in Toronto, you've got three things going for you. 1) strength of the currency, 2. appreciation of real estate, and 3. i guess if you collect rent, you'll get paid dividends in a strengthening currency. I am very optimistic on where Canada is headed as a country as they are in much better shape than us.

I remember back in 1998, during the Asian financial crisis my dad converted a big chunk of his over valued U.S. dollars for the Korean Won, and he made out very well. On average, the conversion is $1 for 1000 Won. It is now 1500 Won for a $1 U.S. dollar which is absolutely CRAZY!!

If you have ever dreamed of vacationing in Asian or Europe. This is probably the ideal time to do it. In couple of years.... all the Europeans and Asians will be vacationing here as our dollars will be practically worth nothing.</blockquote>

If, if, if, if...

Do you know what is driving up the value of the Canadian dollar? If you don't, how can you be certain it is underpriced?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225344790]Holy Smokes!, Canadian Currency kicked butt this week. Could this possibly be the top for the dollar and the bottom for the Canadian? The Canadian Dollar is so under priced right now it is not even funny. I wish that i had more dollars to convert. I wouldn't touch Irvine Real Estate with a 100 foot pole, but buying real estate in Toronto may not be a bad idea. If the currency starts to strengthen and the real estate prices starts to go up in Toronto, you've got three things going for you. 1) strength of the currency, 2. appreciation of real estate, and 3. i guess if you collect rent, you'll get paid dividends in a strengthening currency. I am very optimistic on where Canada is headed as a country as they are in much better shape than us.

If you have ever dreamed of vacationing in Asian or Europe. This is probably the ideal time to do it. In couple of years.... all the Europeans and Asians will be vacationing here as our dollars will be practically worth nothing.</blockquote>
The Europeans were vacationing here up until the dollars turn up. There were articles in the NYtimes that they were buying everything in NY department stores.

[quote author="Nude" date=1225345714][quote author="PANDA" date=1225344790]Holy Smokes!, Canadian Currency kicked butt this week. Could this possibly be the top for the dollar and the bottom for the Canadian? The Canadian Dollar is so under priced right now it is not even funny. I wish that i had more dollars to convert. I wouldn't touch Irvine Real Estate with a 100 foot pole, but buying real estate in Toronto may not be a bad idea. If the currency starts to strengthen and the real estate prices starts to go up in Toronto, you've got three things going for you. 1) strength of the currency, 2. appreciation of real estate, and 3. i guess if you collect rent, you'll get paid dividends in a strengthening currency. I am very optimistic on where Canada is headed as a country as they are in much better shape than us.

If, if, if, if...

Do you know what is driving up the value of the Canadian dollar? If you don't, how can you be certain it is underpriced?</blockquote>
PANDA = the hot money

If you have ever dreamed of vacationing in Asian or Europe. This is probably the ideal time to do it. In couple of years.... all the Europeans and Asians will be vacationing here <strong>as our dollars will be practically worth nothing</strong>.</blockquote>
This is because the European and Asian economies will be doing great while we suffer through recession, huh? Their economies are gonna get hammared, especially Europe since they've kept their rates up too high for too long.

Come on PANDA, remember what I tell you...so goes the US, so goes the rest of the world.

Long live the US Dollar!!!

Panda's New Toilet Paper

<a href="http://www.baronbob.com/dollarbill-toiletpaper.htm">Wipe your Butt in Style</a>

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225356813]Panda's New Toilet Paper

<a href="http://www.baronbob.com/dollarbill-toiletpaper.htm">Wipe your Butt in Style</a></blockquote>
Fair is fair, I guess, as I wipe my ass with real panda fur.

[quote author="Nude" date=1225357361][quote author="PANDA" date=1225356813]Panda's New Toilet Paper

<a href="http://www.baronbob.com/dollarbill-toiletpaper.htm">Wipe your Butt in Style</a></blockquote>
Fair is fair, I guess, as I wipe my ass with real panda fur.</blockquote>

Nude,

That's pretty disgusting dude.

I have been to Europe 10 times since 1997. I take my vacation regardless of the currency. the last trip to spain was a bit rough on the wallet though.

You have to know how to do it on the cheap. HAVING PALS THERE IS NICE TOO.

I've been to Italy, Germany, Spain, U.K. and France, however I really enjoy traveling to Asia. Japan and Singapore is really nice and very clean. Been to Shanghai and Beijing last year and I am always very impressed to see how the city has developed. Hong Kong is a little dirty in my opinion.

I don't know what it is, I am not just not a big fan of vacationing in Europe. I always seem to appreciate U.S. much more after flying back from Europe.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225344790]

</blockquote>

panda, one big logical fallacy about your dad's big coup is you're talking about a 50% gain over 10-11 yrs. thats a 4% annual return which is hardly "CRAZY!!". keep that in mind because its the same thing people saying about real estate. "my parents bought a house in the 90s and its worth 60% more now!!! CRAAAZY!" um, not really.

[quote author="acpme" date=1225410748][quote author="PANDA" date=1225344790]

</blockquote>

panda, one big logical fallacy about your dad's big coup is you're talking about a 50% gain over 10-11 yrs. thats a 4% annual return which is hardly "CRAZY!!". keep that in mind because its the same thing people saying about real estate. "my parents bought a house in the 90s and its worth 60% more now!!! CRAAAZY!" um, not really.</blockquote>

Agreed. I was just trying to make a point that the conversion right now seems a little extreme where one can convert 1 USD for 1500 Won, and 1 USD for 1.3 CAD. That's All.

The Real MAD MONEY $$$ will be made buying as many quality properties you can in Irvine at the bottom in 2012 and riding that baby all way up to 2020. That is the MAD opportunity that we are all waiting for on the IHB.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225416324]The Real MAD MONEY $$$ will be made buying as many quality properties you can in Irvine at the bottom in 2012 and riding that baby all way up to 2020. That is the MAD opportunity that we are all waiting for on the IHB.</blockquote>
You must have missed the entire point of this blog and all of IR's posts; massive price increases over 8 years are not normal or sustainable and prices will remain relatively flat once a bottom has been reached.

[quote author="Nude" date=1225422389]massive price increases over 8 years are not normal or sustainable and prices will remain relatively flat once a bottom has been reached.</blockquote>

I understand the deflation argument, but realize this: the bottom in 1973/1974 looked much the same. In that scenario, commodity inflation came back for a knockout punch.

At 4:00PM ET: 25.65 3.05 (13.50%) iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM)

The Emerging Market index has risen 30% in 5 days? Have we hit rock bottom on this ETF? Tempted to make a move on this one. FXI is also up 20% in 5 days. Is this Overseas rally Fake or Real?

Waiting on the sidelines.

China, Korea, and Japan all rallying this evening. Up 10% on the Nikkei Holy Smokes! Go Japan.

C'mon Asian Tigers, get back on your feet.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225433749]At 4:00PM ET: 25.65 3.05 (13.50%) iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM)

The Emerging Market index has risen 30% in 5 days? Have we hit rock bottom on this ETF?</blockquote>
Short squeeze?

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225435463]Does anybody have this feeling that right after the election, everything is suddenly going to collapse?</blockquote>

Uh, no.

What is up with you people? :) :) :). Two months ago you started this "OMG will the Dow go down to 7000? I can't believe it!" thread and now you're yearning for more? Your thirst for doom is insatiable :).

[quote author="PANDA" date=1225433749]At 4:00PM ET: 25.65 3.05 (13.50%) iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM)

The Emerging Market index has risen 30% in 5 days? Have we hit rock bottom on this ETF? Tempted to make a move on this one. FXI is also up 20% in 5 days. Is this Overseas rally Fake or Real?

Waiting on the sidelines.

China, Korea, and Japan all rallying this evening. Up 10% on the Nikkei Holy Smokes! Go Japan.

C'mon Asian Tigers, get back on your feet.</blockquote>

The Asian markets did not, are not, and will not decouple from the US market. Just layer any graph of the S&P over FXI.

If you're buying FXI you're buying a leveraged version of the US index, nothing more. This is fine, but in no way can you advocate the US economy & market will go to hell in a basket while at the same time hoping the Chinese index will go out and make new yearly highs.

Back