Happy Father's Day!

cubiczirconia

Irvine daddies, you are doing a great job giving your children the most entitled life! Happy father's day to all of you, hope your children and wives make it special. SoCal, what's baking? Oh, remembered.. away from the oven!!

Gonna do the Benihana thing again.. got a $20 opentable dining certificate to use.. love their calamari steak. gonna get two orders.. and the chicken fried rice with garlic butter... nice

Here's to a great Father's day to all dads..

My breakfast this morning...

Courtesy of Curtis Stone here
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/hotcakes-with-delicious-blueberry-compote-recipe/index.html

Made everything from scratch.. now we'll never go back to those ready mix pancakes boxes..
When we first tasted it, thought it was underdone.. but then realized the texture is so light and fluffy and not undercooked at all.  The compote was tasty.  Grabbed some fresh mint from my garden (thank you previous owner!), zested a lemon for the first time and made my compote for the first time!  Got a thumbs up from my daughter and she titled me the best "chef maker."  Best feeling ever when your kid calls you that :)

Bacon was the uncured black forest kind from Trader's.. good quality and as good as the restaurant style bacon.  But without the harsh curing chemicals.. highly recommend as well.

Great start to a great day... lunch later at Beni's...read a little World War Z....nap.. watch NBA Finals for two teams I don't care for.. back to work tomorrow.. Where's the life pause button? :)

We had breakfast at Knowlwood's... the food wasn't awesome but the portions were gigantic.

I recommend the home potatoes over the hash browns.

We took baby daddy to cream pan this morning. Wasn't what I expected.. I thought it would be like Portos. Then while he relaxed, and ordered the checklist, I sat there with my laptop, booking and printing confirmations for the upcoming trip... off to lunch now, though I wanted to cook something special. Kids wrote letters to their dad, thanking him for all the stuff that even I do- but since it's my "duty" I don't get thanked for all that ever :) Called dad around midnight, and first question he asks is.. why aren't you sleeping! Aww, but I think I am old enough to decide when I want to sleep ;-) Had a good conversation with dad about ambition and success vs making money. Does anyone else feel that your parents aren't only your parents once you have kids? I don't like sharing my parents with my children, but no choice I guess :)

Father's Day brunch at Plums Cafe in Costa Mesa.  I had the eggs Benedict and my wife had the Coconut French Toast.  Highly recommend these two dishes  ;)

Hope everyone is having a great Father's Day!

null_zps7ca5c40a.jpg

null_zps7ede4cd3.jpg

We had lunch at...

Bella Cuba's of course.

Took my parents and other family there for their first time... they were skeptical... but they loved it.

Was a very good day to be a child and a father.
Enjoyed yesterday slogging through the mud at Camp Pendleton and having the Marines remind me that I'd signed up for a mud "run" and not a mud "walk." Followed up with some tidepool time with my boys and my parents before heading back up to Orange County.

Today was topped by a wiffle ball game with the family in the back yard, a soak in the hot tub, and some home-made bacon-wrapped roasted chicken, stuffed with jalapeno cream cheese.
Sorry no photos.
Wishing everyone the same sort of joy with your own families.
-IR2

(P.S. Happy birthday CZ!)

Cubic Zirconia said:
Irvine daddies, you are doing a great job giving your children the most entitled life! Happy father's day to all of you, hope your children and wives make it special. SoCal, what's baking? Oh, remembered.. away from the oven!!

:) Only cold stuff from me over the weekend.

The boys gave him cards they made. Went to church in the morning. Then to Steakback Outhouse per his request. Off to Home Depot to look at grills. I got ridiculously excited about Iceberg Roses in the garden center. I have been wanting crisp, white, fragrant flowers for a long planter in front of the house. He bought me three rose bushes. Came home and he went to work planting them all! I begged him to please relax, it could wait. But he said he saw how giddy I got and he likes to make me happy. Wow, I seriously have the best husband ever, doing yard work on Father's Day!! It's not a surprise he would do anything for me but I thought he might use this Get Out of Jail Free card just once. He spent time flying his toy helicopters around in the yard. His Father's Day gift was, unfortunately, late arriving from China -- d'oh! Another helicopter he picked out to add to the collection. This is why I needed a house with vaulted ceilings and a yard! He had the (cold!) dessert I made him - Angel food cake with macerated strawberries, French vanilla ice cream,  and whipped cream. That's one of his favorites. Spent the rest of the evening relaxing and doing stuff he wants to do.  :)

So Father's Day typically means we get to do what Daddy wants... and the kids know that.

So we went to breakfast where I wanted to go, went to lunch where I wanted to go... and then did what I like to do... which is look at Open Houses and/or model homes.

I posted this on the Mulberry thread because we went to see the Mulberry model homes yesterday and this made us laugh:
irvinehomeowner said:
Took the family to visit these yesterday (one of my kids said as we drove up... "Model homes? I hate Father's Day!").
Hehe... and they used to like going to model homes... I guess we've been to too many.

irvinehomeowner said:
So Father's Day typically means we get to do what Daddy wants... and the kids know that.

So we went to breakfast where I wanted to go, went to lunch where I wanted to go... and then did what I like to do... which is look at Open Houses and/or model homes.

I posted this on the Mulberry thread because we went to see the Mulberry model homes yesterday and this made us laugh:
irvinehomeowner said:
Took the family to visit these yesterday (one of my kids said as we drove up... "Model homes? I hate Father's Day!").
Hehe... and they used to like going to model homes... I guess we've been to too many.

Hehehe. That is one of my favorite past-times as well. I knew it was too much when I was driving down the street one day (not looking at homes) -- my 4 year old sitting in the back pointed out the window and said, "That's a Plan 1... That's a Plan 2..." -- and he was RIGHT.

Back