Happy Chinese New Year!

homer_simpson

Happy Chinese New Year to my Talk Irvine Famiree!
Preview_Happy_Chinese_New_Year.jpg

It's Sunday the 10th.  I won't be able to come on TI this weekend with all the festivities and family visiting going on, so I wanted to wish everyone a very prosperous year  :D

USCTrojanCPA said:
What's the animinal for this new year?  Tiger?

Wait, I got this one! It's a snake! That's what is inside his picture above.

Do I pass the Honorary Chinese pop-quiz?

Unless you have Qwerty's kid. His kid will receive affirmative preferences over all dragon babies. Apparently this is the second incentive in marrying a Mexican.

The Motor Court Company said:
it is better to be born in the year of Snake. Too many babies were born in the previous year and the competition to top colleges will be fierce.

Allow me to narrow the cultural gap.  The big red character (not the English ones) means Fortune/Luck.

The snake part on the left, in its original form, means Clothing. On the right hand side, the top bar/dash, together with the square immediately beneath it, means, One Mouth/One Person. The lower right square with a cross in the middle means Field, as in Rice Field. So loosely speaking, it was considered fortunate if you had cloth and a piece of land to make a living out of.

I'm sure my ancestors were fully seized of the additional needs, such as companionship and a roof (preferably with a 3CWG), for one to consider oneself whole and blessed. But they had 79999+ more characters to work out. So chop chop, here it is.

homer_simpson said:
It's Sunday the 10th.

Hey, that's the same day as Zovall's birthday - tomorrow, Feb. 10.

@Zovall, happy early birthday! Finally, the first year ever that I'm not a day late remembering.

Everybody please wish Zovall a happy birthday.  :)

birthday_cake.gif

irvinehomeshopper said:
Unless you have Qwerty's kid. His kid will receive affirmative preferences over all dragon babies. Apparently this is the second incentive in marrying a Mexican.

it is better to be born in the year of Snake. Too many babies were born in the previous year and the competition to top colleges will be fierce.

I wonder if there is a business opportunity here for me to serve the asian female population?  $15K per kid?  unlimited tries to make it happen, satisfaction guaranteed  :D - your kid will go to college for free just for being half mexican.

IHS - we can be business partners. Ill give you a 20% cut for every referral that purchases my service.

A14BD4ED-0B1A-44C4-BEFD-40A2707A9DDE-3742-00000249B388862D_zpsaa508f12.jpg

AA27048C-4484-4823-99FD-72229DFF36B7-3742-00000249E3A81490_zpse17f9439.jpg

9DD1C3E7-CFF5-4201-91DD-93C641BE96F7-3742-00000249B97F6A7E_zps7fa39859.jpg

A13A8969-83A5-40A4-9AA6-E10C281ABFF5-3742-00000249CE18C591_zps03801df0.jpg

E70206FA-1054-4DBA-BFDB-8E2B5121B995-3742-00000249EDDA49FE_zpsfa3b0722.jpg

Grandma does it again..  so stuffed... that's what new year is all about.. eating eating eating and red envelopes (not for me anymore but for my little one, she cleaned up nicely :) for her 529 fund.

Why make me a partner when you could have the profit all to yourself. The only upfront cost is a red towel. I could refer a bunch of Asian cuckolds' wives to you free of charge.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I wonder if there is a business opportunity here for me to serve the asian female population?  $15K per kid?  unlimited tries to make it happen, satisfaction guaranteed  :D - your kid will go to college for free just for being half mexican.

IHS - we can be business partners. Ill give you a 20% cut for every referral that purchases my service.

happy new year!! :D

that food looks delicious omg... ur absolutely lucky... id have to shell out a plane ticket back to taipei to enjoy home cook like that  :p... haha i envy

PS9, want to tell us what is in the photos? I only have guesses for most of it. Tell me if I'm close:

- Pic 1
Crab Soup w/ tofu and big balls of (?) fisherman's bread

- Pic 2
Shrimp with the shell and LEGS(!)
No idea what the seasoning could be. I'm going to say they are grilled.

- Pic 3
Fried crab legs

- Pic 4
This one I have the most trouble figuring out.
100 year old or 1,000 y.o. eggs (can't remember which one it's called). Slices of duck. The stuff that looks like slices of French baguette - I have no clue -- sea urchin?? Oh, wow. GEODUCK?!? At 1 o'clock: shiny, pickled fish?... seaweed?... no idea.

- Bottom Pic
Easy. Meatballs made from ground beef. Sliced mushroom and water chestnuts(? the pale slices). Not sure what that fish-shaped thing is. It's either a fish or a hot pepper.

SoCal said:
PS9, want to tell us what is in the photos? I only have guesses for most of it. Tell me if I'm close:

- Pic 1

- Pic 2

- Pic 3
Fried crab legs

- Pic 4
100 year old or 1,000 y.o. eggs (can't remember which one it's called). Slices of duck. The stuff that looks like slices of French baguette - I have no clue -- sea urchin?? Oh, wow. GEODUCK?!? At 1 o'clock: shiny, pickled fish?... seaweed?... no idea.

- Bottom Pic
Easy. Meatballs made from ground beef. Sliced mushroom and water chestnuts(? the pale slices). Not sure what that fish-shaped thing is. It's either a fish or a hot pepper.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Chinese New Year!!

I think I gained 10 pounds over the weekend, woohoo!!! Time to bulk  8)

kubert13 said:
Quick Chinese new year question:

Is it tradition to light lanterns let them float into the atmosphere?

Never done it..might be a good idea since my little one loves Tangled (as do I :)

SoCal said:

- Pic 1

- Pic 2

- Pic 3
Fried crab legs

- Pic 4

- Bottom Pic

Pic 1:  standard hot pot with tofu, fishballs, and crab added for broth flavor

Pic 2:  sauteed shrimp with shells on, a sort of a chinese bbq/ketchup combo..

Pic 3:  fried crab legs with scallions/garlic

Pic 4:  stewed eggs (star anise, soy, not sure what else), sliced beef (same marinade), bean curd, and seaweed.  a cold cut combo plate, everything is stewed in one pot, cooled, and then sliced to be dipped in garlic soy sauce.

Pic 5:  meatballs, bamboo, mushrooms, and sea cucumber :)

Back