Happiest Cities in America (2024)

Panda's San Francisco Story

My first job out of college was working as a Business Consultant in one of the big four accounting firm in San Francisco. In my first month there, I fell into a deep depression. After work, i would come home to an empty cold apartment sit and stare at the wall alone all evening. I mean it got bad. Around 10-11pm, I would suddenly burst out in tears because Panda was so lonely and depressed in San Francisco.

My dad was concerned for me so he actually flew out to SF to spend father son time with me. After he left, the depression came back again. He even flew out my grandma straight from Seoul to SF to stay with me for couple of weeks because he was concerned.

Grandma Panda had a funny sense of humor and made me delicious Korean food and my favorite Korean donuts. She shared with me her life story where i learned so much about Korean history. She told me stories how she was forced to learn Japanese in elementary school and life during the Korean war. Many funny stories about my parents too. Suddenly my mental health started to improve and Panda was no longer depressed. I dropped my grandma off at the SFO airport and hugged her thanking her for visiting me while I was struggling mentally.

Panda disagrees with the credibilty of this article that SF is 7th happiest city to live. Perhaps the author made a mistake on the title and should be read "The Most Unhappiest Cities in America"

Big Four Accounting firm!!!

Was it really depressing working for them?
Does it suck as bad as you guys say?

I put on about 25 pounds my first busy season (January through March) at a big 4. I was getting home at 10-11 at night and having big meals, watch tv for about an hour then go to sleep.

@qwerty, I know what you mean amigo. When i graduated from Michigan, Panda weighed 160 lbs. After my first year in SF, I ballooned up to 190 lbs. The most I ever weighed in my lifetime was 194.3 lbs. Being in profession you hate in a pressure cooker environment with a controlling boss can do this to you. I gained 30 lbs from stress, depression, and compulsive eating late at night.

Panda's ideal body profile for a medium frame body is 155 lbs, 40% muscle, 15% fat, 7% visc fat.
I put on about 25 pounds my first busy season (January through March) at a big 4. I was getting home at 10-11 at night and having big meals, watch tv for about an hour then go to sleep.

Last edited:
Speaking of the big 4...

EY used to be one of my clients back when I was in the MRO industry. Being bean counters, they decided to put office supplies in computer controlled industrial dispensers where the user would have to scan their badge and press buttons to dispense pens, markers, and sticky pads. When the supplies run low the computer will auto re-order from supplier, and someone has to manually restock the dispensers.

The system was originally designed for industrial use, for example large manufacturing shops where the supply room/cage is far away and you want your workers to access stuff like safety gear and diamond cuter heads without having to run all the way across the building. The computer keeps inventory of who took what so they can't resale it online for drug money. It made sense for critical safety equipment and expensive stuff, but could never figure out how pens and markers would be cost efficient.

San Francisco used to be one of my favorite places to visit in late 80s to early 90s. People were very friendly then and even the homeless guys at the park were cool. Moving forward by 30 years, I would not want to live there today.

So I guess it was worth it being in the high pressure environment and gaining 20 LBS.
It made you the man you are today no?
Perhaps going to UNI HS is a good idea then..even if you go to a crappier college.

So I guess it was worth it being in the high pressure environment and gaining 20 LBS.
It made you the man you are today no?
Perhaps going to UNI HS is a good idea then..even if you go to a crappier college.
The big 4 is a great learning experience, but that experience can be gained without the 60+ hour work weeks. The only thing you learn from 60 hour work weeks is that you don’t have time to enjoy family/life/eat healthy/workout.

Truth. Nobody in their death bed wishes they would have worked more at the office. They wish they spent more meaningful quality time with their wife, children, and their loved ones.
That’s an important lesson and too many take twenty years to learn it and gather the skills necessary to stop it.

Last edited:
That’s an important lesson and too many take twenty years to learn it and gather the skills necessary to stop it.
Very true. I learned it in my first year. I knew then I didn’t want to go down the partner track. I still stayed 6 more years to make sure I would get a controller job when I left.

Truth. Nobody in their death bed wishes they would have worked more at the office. They wish they spent more meaningful quality time with their wife, children, and their loved ones.
And that's why WFH is awesome. Wish I had that option when the kids were younger.

Technically you're supposed to have separate childcare but I don't know anyone who does it.

Even now getting lunch with the kids is better than lunch with Panda from accounting. :)

@aquabliss. It is probably because she has family, friends, and roots that can't be easily replaced with lower cost of living. You are Korean American right? Let me know if there is anything Panda can do to help.
@panda it's half sarcastic. I've been trying to get my wife to consider a move to Alpharetta but she won't even look into it.
That's not it though, more personal - I'll be fine ;)

Last edited:
Community & Environment Rank : Fremont No.3 nationalwide!!!!!!!!
I would drop this student if he was in my class...

Back