Happiest Cities in America (2024)

I think cost of living and having no financial stress has a lot to do with one's overall well being and happiness. I believe that the most important foundation to long-term happiness is being in a right relationship with God, Being in Good Physical Health, a Loving Home environment with wife and kids, Work that is meaningful and satisfying and not overly stressful, and having enough money that you don't have to worry about finances. Everything else is gravy in my opinion. Your zip code or your address does not define your happiness.

I think cost of living and having no financial stress has a lot to do with one's overall well being and happiness. I believe that the most important foundation to long-term happiness is being in a right relationship with God, Being in Good Physical Health, a Loving Home environment with wife and kids, Work that is meaningful and satisfying and not overly stressful, and having enough money that you don't have to worry about finances. Everything else is gravy in my opinion. Your zip code or your address does not define your happiness.
Thatā€™s not necessarily true. Rich people have more stress and arguably at times not as happy as their counterparts. Ever heard the term ā€œmore money, more problemsā€?

You can throw money at a lot of things. But I would argue the things where you cannot throw money at are more important. For example, marriage issues, poor relationship with family members, etc.

Iā€™ve traveled to places where I see individuals that live in shacks and are so happy. Itā€™s contagious. Tho you can make an argument that happiness can be defined differently for each individual.

Last edited:
Hi Sleepy,
What I meant by financial stress is that is different for every individual. For someone making $500k a year in SF can be miserable living in a $2.9M house, but someone making $100k in the south living in a modest home ($300,000) can be very happy. High Cost of living can also put a strain on your marriage and family, but having a lot of money is not the answer either. I think happiness has to do a lot your attitude of gratitude of what you are handed in life. Real Wealth is not just about having a lot of money, but being rich in all areas of your life including spiritual, relational, physical, emotional, family, personal growth etc.

What do you think about my other items I listed of long-term happiness?

Thatā€™s not necessarily true. Rich people have more stress and arguably at times not as happy as their counterparts. Ever heard the term ā€œmore money, more problemsā€?

You can throw money at a lot of things. But I would argue the things where you cannot throw money at are more important. For example, marriage issues, poor relationship with family members, etc.

Iā€™ve traveled to places where I see individuals that live in shacks and are so happy. Itā€™s contagious. Tho you can make an argument that happiness can be defined differently for each individual.

Last edited:
San Francisco currently has the 2nd largest loss in population from 2020 - 2023 of a drop of 3.57% from a population of 4,749,008 to 4,579,599. That is a total net loss population of 169,409 just in three years. I wouldn't touch San Francisco real estate right now as huge price drops in SF are just beginning.

If there is so many happy people in San Francisco, why is there such a huge population fleeing the city?

Last edited:
San Francisco currently has the 2nd largest loss in population from 2020 - 2023 of a drop of 3.57% from a population of 4,749,008 to 4,579,599. That is a total net loss population of 169,409 just in three years. I wouldn't touch San Francisco real estate right now as huge price drops in SF are just beginning.

If there is so many happy people in San Francisco, why is there such a huge population fleeing the city?
If you're living in Lake Merced Hills or The Marina or Pacific Heights life is good, but for the rest SF is not a good place to be

San Francisco is a shithole! That article is definitely "fake news"!

Panda's San Francisco Story

My first job out of college was working as a Business Consultant in one of the big four accounting firm in San Francisco. In my first month there, I fell into a deep depression. After work, i would come home to an empty cold apartment sit and stare at the wall alone all evening. I mean it got bad. Around 10-11pm, I would suddenly burst out in tears because Panda was so lonely and depressed in San Francisco.

My dad was concerned for me so he actually flew out to SF to spend father son time with me. After he left, the depression came back again. He even flew out my grandma straight from Seoul to SF to stay with me for couple of weeks because he was concerned.

Grandma Panda had a funny sense of humor and made me delicious Korean food and my favorite Korean donuts. She shared with me her life story where i learned so much about Korean history. She told me stories how she was forced to learn Japanese in elementary school and life during the Korean war. Many funny stories about my parents too. Suddenly my mental health started to improve and Panda was no longer depressed. I dropped my grandma off at the SFO airport and hugged her thanking her for visiting me while I was struggling mentally.

Panda disagrees with the credibilty of this article that SF is 7th happiest city to live. Perhaps the author made a mistake on the title and should be read "The Most Unhappiest Cities in America"

Yoda, What about Irvine, CA being ranked the 5th happiest City to live in according to the article? Is that "real" or "fake" news?
San Francisco is a shithole! That article is definitely "fake news"!

Yoda, What about Irvine, CA being ranked the 5th happiest City to live in according to the article? Is that "real" or "fake" news?
I would say the happiest city to live in is Newport Coast! šŸ¤£ At least sunny So Cal is much better than overpriced and over rated Bay Area!

Back