Handyman irvine

I think when I used him 2 years back he was $50/hr but he does plumbing and some electrical.  If I remember correctly in my house he fixed my garbage disposal, fuse box, hydraulics on the garage door, and kitchen sink in about 3 hours and charges very minimal for parts.  He has nearly everything he needs in his van so doesn't have to make Home Depot runs.

I just don't get it. Being a home owner sooner or later you will have problems with the home you living in. Being a landlord and a home owner I taught myself and did my own research to either fix or improved on numerous of problems and issues that homes related. Nowaday, you can find just about about how-to-anything on youtube. Sure, I can lay the pavers but those are back breaking jobs and I would rather not take on and leave that for my contractor. But simple fixes like change out the garbage disposable, install a new fire logs set that required gas connection and even run new electrical lines to receptacle in the backyard, I did it.

I am not being stingy or cheap, it just that when you call for help, not only you have to wait for them, often times I am so anal that I often double check the work that was done, if not from my own knowledge, I often google and youtube for the right methods. In the end it is often so easy that, I did most of the repair, replace myself at my house or my rental.

I wonder why being a homeowner and not willing to do some of the maintenance, repair, or replace yourself if time permitted. 

Compressed-Village said:
I just don't get it. Being a home owner sooner or later you will have problems with the home you living in. Being a landlord and a home owner I taught myself and did my own research to either fix or improved on numerous of problems and issues that homes related. Nowaday, you can find just about about how-to-anything on youtube. Sure, I can lay the pavers but those are back breaking jobs and I would rather not take on and leave that for my contractor. But simple fixes like change out the garbage disposable, install a new fire logs set that required gas connection and even run new electrical lines to receptacle in the backyard, I did it.

I am not being stingy or cheap, it just that when you call for help, not only you have to wait for them, often times I am so anal that I often double check the work that was done, if not from my own knowledge, I often google and youtube for the right methods. In the end it is often so easy that, I did most of the repair, replace myself at my house or my rental.

I wonder why being a homeowner and not willing to do some of the maintenance, repair, or replace yourself if time permitted.

I get it and agree with you about diy. For plumbing I have fixed it myself. Painting a bathroom room I done that.

Compressed-Village said:

Problem is most things look easy in youtube videos or in how-to guides.  What I've learned over the years is that nothing is ever as easy as it seems and you always run into one problem or another.  Either it's a missing tool, a bolt that doesn't want to come off, a slight mismeasurement, etc. can cause hours of frustration.  Maybe I've been unlucky, but it seems like I've run into these problems more times than not. 

I recently started using handymen (or hiring a professional) and it's a huge relief... especially when I see them struggle to do something.  If it takes them 2 hours to do the task, it probably would have taken me 4 and I might have needed to purchase additional tools.  These days I don't even bother trying to do anything around the house unless it is really trivial.  Just not worth the time and effort.

My time is worth more than what I usually have to pay to have a pro do it... and usually there is some type of warranty in case there is a problem later.

That's also why I don't mind paying for a home warranty, it's worth it not having to worry about those small repairs that may turn into big ones.

irvinehomeowner said:
My time is worth more than what I usually have to pay to have a pro do it... and usually there is some type of warranty in case it's there is a problem later.

That's also why I don't mind paying for a home warranty, it's worth it not having to worry about those small repairs that may turn into big ones.

IHO - Which home warranty do you use? 

irvinehomeowner said:
My time is worth more than what I usually have to pay to have a pro do it... and usually there is some type of warranty in case it's there is a problem later.

Keep in mind home warranty for homes that are not new, doesn't cover everything. (Just an FYI to the newbs.)
I guess you can say that with a new home warranty. But my experience with new home warranty there is a higher percentage that they replace things, also there is no monthly fee or $75 charge every time they come out like those warranty for not new homes. (Just because you pay $75 doesn't mean they will fix it because it might be excluded)

irvinehomeowner said:
My time is worth more than what I usually have to pay to have a pro do it... and usually there is some type of warranty in case there is a problem later.

How about the exclusions that are not covered under the warranty?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

How about the exclusions that are not covered under the warranty?
The only things in all the different repairs over several homes I've requested that wasn't covered was replacing the garage door cables for a roll-up door (did that on 2 different homes).

AC, plumbing, electrical was all covered. Even got a new water heater on one repair.

And the new home warranty only lasts for the 1st year. Posters have said they were able to get repairs up to 5 years out but after the second or third year, I would consider getting a home warranty.

irvinehomeowner said:

No disrespect you IHO, most of your comments and tribute to the forum is wise and funny at times. I would rather save a few bucks here and there working on my house. Sure my times is worth way more than what the contractor charge per hour, it just that the satisfaction that you get when things done right with your own hands. I trust myself with the work done to my house more than any person out there.

If you purchased a new build, even if the warranty on your water heater or HVAC expired after the first year, it's possible to contact the builder or builder contractor and get it fixed for free or part cost only on goodwill.  Be polite on the phone.

You can save a lot of money doing repairs yourself, but if you are a landlord it's better to befriend a couple contractors.  For minor repair work my buddy just charge me parts plus dinner or fishing trip (we do fly fishing up by mammoth/bishop).  I feed him the good stuff.

If you're into recreational activities there are many local forums for fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.  You can post in the off topic section and ask if anyone is a contractor and befriend them via common interests/hobbies.  Calguns forum, for example, has a jobs wanted/jobs offered section.  Remember that a relationship goes both ways.

Fixing your own home can be gratifying like gardening and growing your own vegetables. However some things, such as electric work, I leave to the pro's. Don't stick your screw driver in the electric panel unless if you know exactly what you are doing. If you get shocked you will jerk the butt end of your screwdriver into your forehead.

Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:

No disrespect you IHO, most of your comments and tribute to the forum is wise and funny at times. I would rather save a few bucks here and there working on my house. Sure my times is worth way more than what the contractor charge per hour, it just that the satisfaction that you get when things done right with your own hands. I trust myself with the work done to my house more than any person out there.
Oh I do get what you're saying. When I was younger I was all about DIY and still think about it today.

But after you paint a few rooms, build and stain furniture, repair a few fences, build a BBQ, maintain your lawn, plant trees, replace faucets and toilet valves... it gets old... especially once you have kids and have other things to do.

At least I still put up my own TV wall mounts. :)

Was just thinking of changing or canceling my AHS warranty when my central heating stopped working.  I hear the furnace, but no air.  Thinking its the blower?  Turned on AC, hear the condenser turn on outside but again no air. Checked the breaker box, looks fine.  Put in a request to AHS and got the call this morning for same day appt from HVAC contractor.  Hopefully no issues and I'll just pay my $75 copay for the fix.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/loyal-hand-appliances-anaheim

I'll put my money on the startup capacitor.  Easy to diagnose and quick/cheap to replace.  Been there, done that.

Glad to see there actually are some DIYers in Irvine not afraid to break a nail :D.  I agree with the pride of ownership and knowing things were done correctly.  My wife likes knowing there's no such thing as an emergency 'cause "daddy can fix anything".  Pretty much the only things I won't do are carpets and countertops.  Anything else related to home improvement, you name it, I've probably done it.  Same in the garage...there's nothing under a hood or suspension I haven't touched before, and I understand how all the parts work and how they work together.  Having a technical background helps.  Yes it does take a lot of tools, but those are a 1-time expense (at least until you buy your 2nd and 3rd set to keep in the house and truck).  I suppose in Irvine the garages are  too small to get too serious :p.

Back