Halo 5 Water Conditioner

talkirvinekiwi

Does anyone have this? Any thoughts on it? It's like $4000 and claims to give your entire house effectively filtered water.

My family has eczema including my young daughter so I can see the benefits but wow what a price tag.

I have a HALO 5.
I checked the hardness of my water and water is still hard.
I don't think it does anything...shrug.

It turns on every 10 days and flushes out the charcoal in the silver cannister.
I guess it's cleaning the charcoal?

I dont know this system personally but I have some experience with water technology from an industrial standpoint. Halo 5 apparently uses magnetic ion system as their way to address the magnesium and calcium. While salt based water softeners actually ion exchange and REMOVE the Ca and Mg ions, some other systems try to use technology to NEUTRALIZE the ions. For the systems that neutralize, the tests will still show hardness because the elements are still there, but the idea is that they will not scale and be able to pass through without depositing on fixtures and water heating elements.

Of all the non-salt based systems, TAC or template assisted crystallization is the most effective and proven in independent testing to reduce scale by >90%. A lot of industrial systems use TAC. This Halo magnetic system on the other is probably the most controversial because study results are mixed. Best case scenario it may seemingly reduce scale by 50%, but I'm not optimistic. I doubt it would be worth it for you.

For eczema, its hard to say what would be most beneficial. A lot is trial and error because every case is a bit different, but if you want to actually remove Ca and Mg ions then salt system is the only method.

Thank you, zubs and mythicquest!

I know this system in no way rivals a regular salt water softener, so I understand the minerals and hardness will remain. I'm wondering what benefit, if any, there really is to having filtered water throughout the whole house. I know Irvine water does have its share of chemicals and stuff, and it does vaporize as we shower though I have a countertop filter for drinking water...

Just thinking aloud, I guess. Want to do right by my daughter.

Why not get a traditional two tank system (1 tank softener + 1 tank carbon filter). All the water in the house will have the benefits of the carbon filter removing the chloramine and you will also have soft water. And you can add an RO under the sink for even more pure drinking water?

zovall said:
Why not get a traditional two tank system (1 tank softener + 1 tank carbon filter). All the water in the house will have the benefits of the carbon filter removing the chloramine and you will also have soft water. And you can add an RO under the sink for even more pure drinking water?

That's exactly what I did. Unless something new comes out, this is the way to go.

That was my original thought a couple years ago, but it doesn't sit well with me that the wastewater is unrecyclable brine water. With all the water shortages happening these days, I just don't feel good contributing to it. As such, I thought maybe a conditioner would be "good enough".

Back