Ground Settling Concern for New Homes from Rains?

davenlei

So there has been a lot of construction in and around the Irvine area over the past few 'drought' years. 

From what I have been told in the past, when developing a new area (especially hilly areas), it takes a few years for the ground to 'settle' into it's final resting state.  This is also when stucco and concrete will develop small cracks to accommodate the 'settling' Earth (this is what I have been told).

Now that we know due to El Nino' we will experience a very wet and rainy winter, is there concern that all this 'unsettled' ground may shift and adjust more than expected and cause more than normal stucco/concrete cracks or even real 'damage' to some of these new homes?

Much of north Irvine sits on clay soil.  Water doesn't percolate as well in clay soil and water that puddles against home foundation will cause soil erosion over time.  Sometimes this ends up resulting in voids under the slab.  Not sure if this was a builder precaution or a city of Irvine requirement, but our home in PS has rain gutter downspouts that tie directly to underground water drainage pipes that carry the water to the street.

I found this out reading the builder disclosures provided when we went under contract.  Sales manager told me that I was the first buyer that inquired.  She even showed me the soils report for the tract.  The supr. was really cool and took the time to explain to me what the effects of water were on clay soil and how to prevent damage to our foundation.

irvine buyer said:
Much of north Irvine sits on clay soil.  Water doesn't percolate as well in clay soil and water that puddles against home foundation will cause soil erosion over time.  Sometimes this ends up resulting in voids under the slab.  Not sure if this was a builder precaution or a city of Irvine requirement, but our home in PS has rain gutter downspouts that tie directly to underground water drainage pipes that carry the water to the street.

I found this out reading the builder disclosures provided when we went under contract.  Sales manager told me that I was the first buyer that inquired.  She even showed me the soils report for the tract.  The supr. was really cool and took the time to explain to me what the effects of water were on clay soil and how to prevent damage to our foundation.

French drains have been standard for a really long time.

Rain gutters are relatively inexpensive to add.  I had them added to our Tustin Ranch home for less than $2K and the crew was finished in less than half a day. 

There are also drainage holes/lines in the backyards taking water out to the street in new construction (at least in ours). The dirt is graded toward these drains and any hardscape/landscape must not modify this grading.

I don't know the specific situation but I would guess that the upgrade is for aesthetic only...no way a home builder design homes without proper drainage. 

If they did, they're dumb and primed for lawsuits.  Foundations are pretty much the most expensive thing to fix.

We had our raingutters installed when we lived in Tustin Ranch with the landscaping. That way they could be hooked right into the drains.

Can't remember how much Pulte wanted, but it seemed like we thought it could be done afterwards for considerably less.

The thing with raingutters is you have to make sure water doesn't pool (make sure they are cleared of mud/leaves) so water doesn't rot the wood on the eves.

irvine buyer said:

Clay soil is bad news. It soaks up the water, swells up the ground, stays wet for days.

Irvine Fanatic said:
Clay soil is bad news. It soaks up the water, swells up the ground, stays wet for days.

I think the swelling part is expansive clay soil, which we don't have in this region, if I understand correctly. When I was looking at homes in Texas, I learned expansive clay soil is a big problem there because it'll wreck the foundation. I think there are different kinds of clay and the one refereed to in Irvine is different from e.c.s. but correct me if I'm wrong.

SoCal said:
Irvine Fanatic said:

I think the swelling part is expansive clay soil, which we don't have in this region, if I understand correctly. When I was looking at homes in Texas, I learned expansive clay soil is a big problem there because it'll wreck the foundation. I think there are different kinds of clay and the one refereed to in Irvine is different from e.c.s. but correct me if I'm wrong.

The land and the soil  in Irvine are both expansive and expensive. :)

I just hope we actually DO get a wet, rainy winter!  Even if everyone with new construction gets a few cracks, I'm voting for WATER!  :eek:

I would not worry too much, most new homes are built on post tension foundations which help to mitigate settlement. It the differential settlement that creates cracks and what not. If a post tension slab is going to settle, its typically the whole foundation. This is issue is more of a concern for the older and custom homes that have conventional foundations. Also, the newer communities have good drainage systems in place to deal with rain.

Back