Greys a thing of today or long term

Have to pick Colors for cabinets (our choice white), backsplash, counter, island and wall colors.

Design studio advised, greys are trendy but choosing only greys and whites boring. If we choose brown tones for backsplash and island keeping white cabinets with white countertops, have a feel that won't go with the grey paint. Design studio lady suggested, worldly grey 7043 from SW can go both ways not sure how will that look after finishing... any thoughts??

It's a tough call. I think about this question often. I did grey kitchen cabinets but I'm not convinced I would do it again. They can look really sophisticated if done right. "Institutional" if done wrong. My problem is what you said about not being sure how it will look once they're in. For example, mine looked one way in the show room then a very different undertone came out in my kitchen's lighting. It was a surprise. I wasn't thrilled, especially because it was too late to do anything about it by that point. But I made it work. You really begin to realize the differences between the blue undertone greys and the green undertone greys and how much they can sway the look. I often think about repainting them. Probably white. But even then, I've seen some whites that are just too stark white. Then you're back to square 1. Maybe just do the greys in more temporary things like paint or tile, etc. That's probably what I would do if I had a rewind button.

Why don't you do  grey cabinets and white island, or vice versa.  Give the grey cabinets a white quartz countertop, and the white island a light grey quartz... solved.

Thank you for the tips. Oh it is tough.

We are debating on (attached pucture) with white cabinets, backsplash, white countertops and island (in brownish).

Attachments

• A5957DCC-6A2B-411D-A4F4-ACD51C4C499F.JPG
    A5957DCC-6A2B-411D-A4F4-ACD51C4C499F.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 183
White cabinets are classic and will never go out of style.  I know that neutral colors can be boring but they'll appeal to many people (I'm talking about counters and backsplash) but ultimately you should get what you like.

I actually used this exact same color when repainting my house.  I needed a bit of a beige undertone to match my kashmir gold countertops and this color came up.  Turned out awesome.

Grey is the way now and into future. 25 years ago when I stationed onboard US Naval ship, all of the wall "bulkhead" paint is grey. More like SW Agreeable Grey, many years later I found the reason why our Naval commanders required this color. It suppose to be promote peace and harmony. It does have a calming effects and soothing.

6 months deployment or longer can bring lots of tensions amongst 700 + crew members. Often time there will be a long build up in force before the actual strike. By the time green light was given to attack, soldiers usually release their pent up and engage like Rambo without fear. It is this color that help crews stay calm during the most stressful time at sea.

We just painted a couple rooms Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray, looks pretty good.  Nice change from the beiges I've been used to for years.

Thanks all for wonderful tips.

We finally chose Agreeable Grey SW and a lighter backsplash with white Cabinets, quartz white countertops and quartz island (kind of gold tone).

All thru builder. May be paint would be cheaper outside but did it anyways.

We have SW Mindful Gray throughout my house with Dovetail Gray accent walls. We also did Dorian Gray in our bedroom. The mindful is a little darker but it really makes the crown molding and baseboard pop.

We also went with a very light grey marble backsplash.

All in all, we really love it. Different than the typical beige neutral colors you see at every house.

USCTrojanCPA said:
White cabinets are classic and will never go out of style.  I know that neutral colors can be boring but they'll appeal to many people (I'm talking about counters and backsplash) but ultimately you should get what you like.

Go white cabinets and real marble countertop.  Go personally pick the slabs to get slabs with heavier coloration to give the "grey" trend without being trend.  Although I've heard rumors marble is getting trendy too.

Sunnyirvine said:
Thanks all for wonderful tips.

We finally chose Agreeable Grey SW and a lighter backsplash with white Cabinets, quartz white countertops and quartz island (kind of gold tone).

All thru builder. May be paint would be cheaper outside but did it anyways.

If you plan to touch up the paint at a later date, find out if the builder's contractor actually used Sherwin Williams brand paint.  Many contractors for cost reasons will use a cheaper brand like Vista Paint and get it color matched.  However, since the base paint for each brand is different the final color will be a little different and you will not be able to match unless you actually take a sample of the painted wall or go back to the same paint supply company the contractor used.  This is a hard lesson learned and why I will never have the builder paint the walls for me.

nosuchreality said:
Go white cabinets and real marble countertop.  Go personally pick the slabs to get slabs with heavier coloration to give the "grey" trend without being trend.  Although I've heard rumors marble is getting trendy too.

That's possibly the worst advice I've ever read on TI.  Marble stains soooo easily.  One drop of lemon juice and that beautiful countertop is ruined forever.

Yeah, don't use the real marble.  Maybe use one of those quartz counter top that looks like marble instead.

Here's pic of Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo 5131.  I think this one looks quite good, very close to the real Calacatta marble and looks better than other marble looking one from Caesarstone.

savage-021-ryans-house-kitchen_1500x1500_portfolio.jpg

Back