Greenwood in Tustin Legacy

Schools, high taxes/HOA and "not Irvine" will always be issues in addition to Jamboree/Hangers but they are priced at a significant discount to Irvine. (maybe not Sheldon...... can't believe anyone pays that much for those properties).

There will always be people who want something new but can't/won't pay for Irvine or don't need the schools.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm still trying to figure out who is buying here.

Other than D342-88B, I'm not sure there are any other vocal Greenwood owners on this forum.

Maybe they're all over on TalkTustin.  Either that, or Standard Pacific/Brookfield didn't hire enough PR shills for TI.

irvinehomeowner said:

Other than D342-88B, I'm not sure there are any other vocal Greenwood owners on this forum.

I just can't get over that proximity to the Jamborfreeway... and seriously, those hangars are eyesores.

People who want to live in central oc without the Irvine price. Plenty of them out there, been preaching this forever. Tons of jobs 10 minutes away. Lots of food choices, scp 10 minutes away, etc. it's just as safe as Irvine, it's literally on the border. It does have its drawbacks, but if the price is right there is always a buyer. Certain things are non issues when you get to the neighborhood, like the hangers, while I completely agree that they are an eyesore, you don't see them while your in the neighborhood (though there are parts where you can see them). Same thing with the waste Mgmt site on the other side of jambo, you can't see or hear it. I know some of you will say you can smell it, I have never though (but I always have the AC and windows up).

Maybe it's just me but I don't think these homes are at a significant discount compared to Unicorn Land... especially with MRs.

If these were 3000sft homes selling for $800k, that would be a no-qwerbrainer... but that's not the case.

irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe it's just me but I don't think these homes are at a significant discount compared to Unicorn Land... especially with MRs.

If these were 3000sft homes selling for $800k, that would be a no-qwerbrainer... but that's not the case.

There will always be a market for stuff at a discount.  If bp was priced at a discount, they would be flying off the shelves, cemetery and toxic, or not. 

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

There will always be a market for stuff at a discount.  If bp was priced at a discount, they would be flying off the shelves, cemetery and toxic, or not. 
Yeah... but BP is still Irvine. :)

At least Baker Ranch has no MRs.

I still don't see a significant discount for Greenwood. It seems to have very little benefits other than you might get more square footage for the price but from my own experience its better to pay more for a smaller home in a better location.

I wouldn't spend $1m in Greenwood as long as I could spend that in Irvine for something comparable, even if a bit smaller or older.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yeah... but BP is still Irvine. :)

At least Baker Ranch has no MRs.

I still don't see a significant discount for Greenwood. It seems to have very little benefits other than you might get more square footage for the price but from my own experience its better to pay more for a smaller home in a better location.

To a certain extent, I agree with you. But I also see why these are selling.  Like Huntley for example, it was 2700sf for less than $1m with driveway on a real street. Can't find that new in Irvine. Granted these were backing jamboree. I personally wouldn't buy a house backing jamboree in Irvine, much less in Tustin but there are people that will.

What will be interesting is how resale will do here in a few years when it's no longer new and has to compete with other resales.  I guess this is where the school upside comes into play. But I would argue some of that upside (esp the price increases) is already built in. Obv buyers here would disagree :)

bones said:
To a certain extent, I agree with you. But I also see why these are selling.  Like Huntley for example, it was 2700sf for less than $1m with driveway on a real street. Can't find that new in Irvine.
But that's what I mean, you can't even find that new in Greenwood as Huntley is now over $1m.

Aren't there some BP homes that have a driveway and are on a real street for just over $1m?

Or even Laurel in CV (despite test)?

Or one of those Mendocino homes for less than $1.1m on Redfin? At least those have no ghost or military base issues.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
To a certain extent, I agree with you. But I also see why these are selling.  Like Huntley for example, it was 2700sf for less than $1m with driveway on a real street. Can't find that new in Irvine.
But that's what I mean, you can't even find that new in Greenwood as Huntley is now over $1m.

Aren't there some BP homes that have a driveway and are on a real street for just over $1m?

Or even Laurel in CV (despite test)?

Or one of those Mendocino homes for less than $1.1m on Redfin? At least those have no ghost or military base issues.

damn you.  made me go look at the brookfield site. 
Theres one or two Jamboree homes currently available at around $950k on 4000 sf lots.  Then for example, there's a plan 3 (3000sf) reserved for $1,034,000 not backing jamboree.  There's also stuff on 5000-6000 sf lots reserved for high 900s/very low 1,000s (also not backing Jamboree).  Not sure you can get that at Laurel.  Oakmont at BP starts at $1.1M for similar SF plus the higher MR.  Bottom line, it is still priced at a discount.  Whether that discount is significant enough is debatable.

The fact that people are still talking about Greenwood gives you part of the answer.  Bottom line is that people will buy if the price is right.

Beacon Park = price is not right
Greenwood = price is right

Not a difficult thing to grasp and understand.

irvinehomeowner said:

I just can't get over that proximity to the Jamborfreeway... and seriously, those hangars are eyesores.

Mass Exodus from Columbus Square. :)

I also bought in Greenwood and agree with DJW1705 and qwerty.  :)
Unless you have kids and want good schools...why pay so much to live in the boonies?

happytales said:
Unless you have kids and want good schools...why pay so much to live in the boonies?

Because of the imminent zombie apocalypse.  Tustin is going to buffer the invasion which will start in Santa Ana.

happytales said:

Haven't been to the sales offices in a while, but Stafford is around $330 per sq foot. Stan Pac preplotted a good amount of electrical and doors to the California rooms. When we were looking at Hawthorn in PP nothing was preplotted. Included were things like fiberglass tubs with fiberglass up the walls. If we wanted tile we had to upgrade. By the time we got to what Stan Pac would have considered standard items, we were looking at $40K.

That being said, I don't think prices have really gone up for Stafford. Homes have fallen out for whatever reason and those homes have options chosen, so any increase in price for those reflects the options chosen by the original "buyer".

No way you can buy a house approaching 4000 sq feet, new in Irvine esp with the preplots for what you can get in Stafford.

Resale I think will be a problem but then I think it will be a problem for anything purchased recently for anyone wanting to break even.

Ready2Downsize said:
happytales said:

Haven't been to the sales offices in a while, but Stafford is around $330 per sq foot. Stan Pac preplotted a good amount of electrical and doors to the California rooms. When we were looking at Hawthorn in PP nothing was preplotted. Included were things like fiberglass tubs with fiberglass up the walls. If we wanted tile we had to upgrade. By the time we got to what Stan Pac would have considered standard items, we were looking at $40K.

That being said, I don't think prices have really gone up for Stafford. Homes have fallen out for whatever reason and those homes have options chosen, so any increase in price for those reflects the options chosen by the original "buyer".

No way you can buy a house approaching 4000 sq feet, new in Irvine esp with the preplots for what you can get in Stafford.

Resale I think will be a problem but then I think it will be a problem for anything purchased recently for anyone wanting to break even.

I agree to an extent.  All 4 homes are up in price, including Stafford, if you pick a home that has not started construction.  Right now, I don't think there are any more releases in 2015 for the 3 Stan Pac communities.  They will release more lots begining in 2016.  Not sure about Huntley as that is a different builder.

As far as resale, these homes will be fine.  All that land will be developed, schools built, etc. etc. etc.

I'm glad I got in early though because the prirces will continue to increase as long as they keep selling at this pace.

Huntley is doing well. They released phase 5 two weeks ago and sold them immediately. Currently only 2 houses are still available and both of these back Jamboree.

Having schools for the new community is huge. For new homes in central oc (non irvine), they have the market. BR is another option (and still relatively central...especially compared to Rancho Mission Viejo) but BR doesn't have the new schools.  BR has sold well but if he had schools zoned, I'd probably own in Baker Ranch and enjoy the cheaper mortgage payment and extra land (+ maybe a view lot).

I don't want to spend $1M on a house and not have a school close by. 

Back