• Great Park

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Villages of Irvine

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Ready2Downsize said:
The steeper the worse issue u will have. U have to have ground cover to prevent erosion. Even then it requires a lot of watering which because we've been in a drought for so many years the dirt gets dry and compact so the water doesn't soak in well which of course affects the ability to keep plants alive. In the occasional down pours we get, water literally just rolls right off the slope with topsoil. If you have wind that is predominately downslope, trees will lean forward which u might not know unless u get up on the slope and see it.

Best thing to do with a slope is tiered retaining walls.

Just a hassle to maintain. Had one and would never ever have another. For us it's a complete deal breaker.
I also don't like how it blocks sunlight (depending on how far back and how steep the slope is).

zovall said:
Ready2Downsize said:
The steeper the worse issue u will have. U have to have ground cover to prevent erosion. Even then it requires a lot of watering which because we've been in a drought for so many years the dirt gets dry and compact so the water doesn't soak in well which of course affects the ability to keep plants alive. In the occasional down pours we get, water literally just rolls right off the slope with topsoil. If you have wind that is predominately downslope, trees will lean forward which u might not know unless u get up on the slope and see it.

Best thing to do with a slope is tiered retaining walls.

Just a hassle to maintain. Had one and would never ever have another. For us it's a complete deal breaker.
I also don't like how it blocks sunlight (depending on how far back and how steep the slope is).

If it blocks sunlight, then the slope is too steep.

The California Court Company said:
just had a debate with my wife. For the same price, would you want
either
1. View lot but a smaller house (let?s say 2100 sqft)

or
2. No view lot, but against a slope so some privacy and a bigger house (let?s say 3400 sqft)

all else bing equal to the extent possible.

She prefers view lot but my argument we spend more time indoors, so bigger house is more practical.

I don't know - unless the view is really spectacular I think you get over it in time, but you never get over a lack of enough living space. I once lived on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building; the view was great for the first month or two, then I stopped paying attention to it. Humans have an amazing ability to get accustomed to things.

Wow most people prefer the view lot.
I forgot to say for the same price, half year ago we saw a house, single story, 3CWG and driveway, 2800 sqft, view lot , on a cul de sac, enough backyard space to build infinity pool, zoned for a top 50 ranked HS in the state, not backed to a major street,  for the same price as the two examples I gave today. Probably we should have gambled and emptied our investment fund to get that house.

This sounds like a Turtle Rock Terrace house  :D

Davin said:
I don't know - unless the view is really spectacular I think you get over it in time, but you never get over a lack of enough living space. I once lived on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building; the view was great for the first month or two, then I stopped paying attention to it. Humans have an amazing ability to get accustomed to things.

You're comparing an apartment building to a 2000 sq ft house.  ;D

This is not about lack of enough living spaces with view vs. enough living spaces without view.

This is about enough living spaces with view vs. big ass house without view.  ;D

box said:
I forgot to say for the same price, half year ago we saw a house, single story, 3CWG and driveway, 2800 sqft, view lot , on a cul de sac, enough backyard space to build infinity pool, zoned for a top 50 ranked HS in the state, not backed to a major street,  for the same price as the two examples I gave today. Probably we should have gambled and emptied our investment fund to get that house.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/5712-Oakley-Ter-92603/home/4741437
;D

zovall said:
box said:

;D

Yes, I submitted an offer on the home.  Wish me luck.  haha

CalBears96 said:
Davin said:

This is not about lack of enough living spaces with view vs. enough living spaces without view.

This is about enough living spaces with view vs. big ass house without view.  ;D

Davin was referring to top floor units  for a high rise. Those tend to be penthouse units with large sqft.

My last penthouse was over 2300 sqft with 180 panoramic view for example.

I will also take enough living spaces with view over big house without view  :)

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
box said:

;D

Good luck Martin. That is one amazing house.

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
box said:

;D

Good luck Martin!

Curious what you think a remodel like that costs?

box said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
box said:

;D

Good luck Martin!

Curious what you think a remodel like that costs?

I'd say at least $1m for all interior, exterior, and landscaping costs.

Kenkoko said:
CalBears96 said:
Davin said:

Davin was referring to top floor units  for a high rise. Those tend to be penthouse units with large sqft.

My last penthouse was over 2300 sqft with 180 panoramic view for example.

I will also take enough living spaces with view over big house without view  :)
Penthouses are nice but I wouldn?t want to park in a shared garage and need to go up the elevator. I use to do that and I?m glad I no longer need to.

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
box said:

;D

Good luck!! I was just telling my friend how that?s the nicest TR reno I?ve seen in a while. I love TR Terrace. I went to Uni High so it also gives me nostalgia lol.

Boom, it is Under Contract. They really did a great job with the remodel!
Guessing on what the sale price will be?

CalBears96 said:
Davin said:

I guess I should chime in here.  I just went from a 5500 sq ft home with 4-car garage backing to a slope to a 2200 sq ft detached motorcourt home with incredible panoramic sunset views and we 100% prefer the view house.  Granted 2 adult kids moved out so we are now 3 (still have a high schooler) and don't need all the space but we sold the big house because we were able to sign on the view house.  No contract on the view house and we would still be in the big ass house.  No regrets so far.

zovall said:
Boom, it is Under Contract. They really did a great job with the remodel!
Guessing on what the sale price will be?

Oh wow, if USC got this one, we are calling a pool party. :)

That is with USC permission of course. It estimated at 4.2, so I think it will go way over asking price as well.

A beauty.

Good luck Martin!

USCTrojanCPA said:
zovall said:
box said:

;D

Back