Great Park Anniversary Celebration 2012

Some friends went last year.  Said it was super fun and the highlight was the fireworks show.  Also said it was very crowded.  Said parking was a nightmare and took them 45 min to get out of the Great Park after the festivities.  It's free tho, well parking is $10, so freeish.

Did anyone go to this? How was it? My general policy is to avoid all events at the Great Park, ever since the postage-stamp-sized "snow" event fiasco in 2010 (I hate crowds).

We went with a couple of other families.  Everyone had a great time.  Absolutely recommend going if you've never gone.  It's a long day if you go right when they open.  We went around 6:30, which I think is perfect especially if it's hot.  The airshow goes off early, but we caught it from Costco's parking lot.  Really festive and happy atmosphere.  Kids everywhere.  Lots of room so you don't feel too crowded and even the grass area to watch the fireworks has plenty of space.  Only downside for me was the food truck lines.  Some were really long especially the Lime, Burnt and TJ Pizza truck.  Portapottys get pretty nasty, but that's to be expected. U2 cover band was actually quite good and entertaining.  Highlight is the firworks show.  At least as good as the Irvine High 4th of July fireworks show, most people thought it was better.  Leaving the park wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  All around really fun event and the price is perfect. 

Is the Great Balloon open yet?

I read they grounded it because of a mishap for a similar ride somewhere else.

7 years later and still not "Great" Park... but at least there is no airport either.

Took the fam.  Waited in the Burnt Truck's heinous line (probably 45 minutes) to get our sliders.  We decided to sit on the blacktop in the middle of the trucks to eat.  That was fortunate because it gave us the absolute front row seat to the fireworks show.  I know people tend to weight things like "best xxxxx ever" towards whatever is freshest in their mind.  But I can't remember ever seeing such a great fireworks show.  It had all of the goodies and even ones I've never seen...and it was LONG!  Just great.  We got there at about 7-7:30 so we parked basically by the entrance by that time.  Worked out because once we got back to the car we were going 70 down Irvine Bl. within 10 minutes.  Alton being open all the way back to FR makes the trip even simpler.  Good experience.

Back