Gov. Palin speech -- a great political debut

Well-said Skek. This country is in for a tough time in the next few years no matter which party wins the presidency but I feel that Obama's tax plan would only make things worse.

I have always admired Senator McCain for his courage and his independence. I have never heard of Palin until recently but it now seems that she was a great choice. I will take holding the line on taxes and characters over tax increases and promises for change every time.

[quote author="skek" date=1220585511]. </blockquote>

While the possibility of a slip is always possible, her debut to most of the nation last night was even more impressive when you realize that her teleprompter went out mid way through her speech.

Credit where credit is due - she gave a great speech.

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check">http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check</a>

One that shows up a little light on facts. She's not qualifed to run for Mayor of Bakersfield. She is in a state that has a consistant budget surplus because of excessive taxes on the oil and gas industry (Alaska citizens get a payment from the state every year because they can't spend all the money they collect). She has zero forign policy experence. And has flip flopped (I was for the bridge before I was against it - didn't stop her from keeping the money) more than John Kerry ever could of.

<a href="http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/2008/09/jon-stewart-ann.html">But don't take my word for it. Watch Karl Rove, Bill O'Riley, Dick Morris, and Pfotenhauer have to say about it.</a>

Talk about having it both ways.

BTW, I am offering 3:2 on the election for several of my friends. By looking at intrade, I'm taking the worst of it by at least 10%. I still can't get anyone to book any action with me. I'm offering it up the same action to IHB'rs. Frendly wagers as small as a ham sandwich are invited. If anybody's interested, PM me.

I don't agree with your assessment at all. She succeeded in re-igniting the culture war more than anything else. It's now more about small town America vs. suburbia (which apparently doesn't work nearly as hard nor has any people fighting in Iraq). It's about the whole abortion thing again. It's about religion. Rather than targeting the 10% in the middle, she is targeting the base and making sure they show up in full force. McCain couldn't manage to get his base excited but with Palin they see a champion for their cause.

PS: as far as her improv skills ... hardly <a href="http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/The_teleprompter_did_not_break.html">any</a>.

Agreed Skek on your Palin comments and the dismay at the low-brow garbage others have posted about her here. I think she expressed just the right amount of snarkiness given the personal attacks and innuendo heaped upon her and her family prior to her speech.

After she is finished serving the next four years as vice president, she may be the first female president. Preliminarily, she seems well suited to both roles, in that order.

I just want to know WTF does any of this have to do with Banana Republic and why that would be a bad thing?

Anyway, yes skek, I noticed her snark and I thought her speech was pretty good. It will be interesting to watch the VP debates because Biden has years of snark behind him. I think it will boil down to who slips up less, as Biden may or may not have that foot in mouth disease cured yet.

Ya know, I just gave up on the politics thread after topics were at eighth grade level. So, I started posting eighth grade like responses. I asked for it to be cleaned up but all I got was a whiny PM.

So, thanks for bringing the politics forum back up to the level it should be. Don't be surprised if goes downhill again.

Well, both my wide and I are democrats. I won't vote for her period. We're anti gun and pro choice. These issues are important to us. BUT my wife is considering voting for McCain/Palin after hearing about Palin's background and tuning into McCain's speech tonight. WTF.

I guess my vote will cancel her's out.

She did way better than I expected last night. I was impressed with her. She's a terrific role model for some of us and, as a woman, I'm inspired by her so far.

On that note, I'd encourage anyone who's joining just now in to go back and read this thread from several months past:

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2450/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2450/</a>

In particular, read post 5, 11, 12, 49. I haven't changed my position one bit in 20 years. I'm still the same observant Catholic kid from a little farming town who knows what tough work looks like, and knows a thing or two about the situation that brought rise to the whole Palin pregnancy. Alaska and rural California aren't that different. And ask anyone who knows me personally, I've got a bunch of empathy for people in tough situations. And I'm the only one here who's lived in a small farming town of about 10,000 for the majority of his/her life. I know Sarah Palin. Not literally, of course. But small towns across America is full of Sarah Palins.

Is Sarah Palin a game changer? Dunno. She certainly has changed the topic. I went from asking "Why shouldn't I vote for McCain? He's qualifed." to asking myself "My God, has the man gone crazy? His VP candiate isn't qualifed to run the Orange County ASPCA!"

On a side note, I was looking at some old topics on the forum. This one:

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2432/">Tim Russert passes away.</a>

stood out like a sore thumb, and has caused me to ponder what this election season might look like with one more honest broker. Unfortunetly, my worst fears have been realized. It's a coarser, more retoric driven, meaner election.

One, that if it gets back to discussing issues, will quickly establish that Sarah Palin is not qualifed to sit on a Presidential ticket, much less be elected.

[quote author="bugmenot" date=1220620455]Well, both my wide and I are democrats. I won't vote for her period. We're anti gun and pro choice. These issues are important to us. BUT my wife is considering voting for McCain/Palin after hearing about Palin's background and tuning into McCain's speech tonight. WTF.

I guess my vote will cancel her's out.</blockquote>

Your wife is a very smart woman!!! I know of some anti gun and pro choice people...they told me the same thing that they won't vote GOP just bc of that regardless other factors. Do you think these two factors are more important then economy policy and foreign policy which IMO can impact our day to day life in a more direct way? Just curious about your thoughts. Personally I believe women should have the right to choose, don't believe guns should be freely purchased and carried. I always vote GOP due to economic and foreign policy difference.

The GOP and Bush have managed to piss off nearly 80% of the American public as evidenced in dis/satisfaction polls. It's been a gross 8 years for the vast majority of us, for important issues that the GOP party has made decisions about. You'd have to have severe amnesia to think that the GOP/McCain can be trusted to do things differently.

Anyone who thinks that "voting for a woman" or "voting for an african-american" is somehow principled, needs to rethink their vulnerability when it comes to gimmicks.

Obama wrote two books himself. He's a thinker. He doesn't seem to make suprise/kneejerk decisions on the important issues. <u>The Audacity of Hope </u>clearly defines his vision for the direction this country should take. That path is clearly not anything like we have had the last 8 years. I frankly think that this country is off track and needs a major adjustment. I suggest reading a copy for a thorough view of Obama's stance on the issues.

[quote author="NoWowway" date=1220648974]The GOP and Bush have managed to piss off nearly 80% of the American public as evidenced in dis/satisfaction polls. It's been a gross 8 years for the vast majority of us, for important issues that the GOP party has made decisions about. You'd have to have severe amnesia to think that the GOP/McCain can be trusted to do things differently.</blockquote>
From <a href="http://www.realclearpolitics.com/">RealClearPolitics</a>, which averages national polling data:

<blockquote>Bush approval rating: 30.4

Obama favorable rating: 56.4

McCain favorable rating: 54.4

Congressional approval rating: 17.8</blockquote>
The GOP isn't in control of Congress, the Democrats are. They look to gain even more seats in both the House and Senate come November. Whether their low approval rating is because people think there are too many Republicans left in Congress remains to be seen, but it's a certainty that if McCain wins the election he'll be on his own with very little support in either house. That guarantees that he will have "to do things differently".

[quote author="skek" date=1220658530]

.</blockquote>

I used that on purpose. I submit it is much harder to run the OCSPCA than the State of Alaska becuase of the revenue situation. Alaska is awash in tax revenues. On the other hand, the OCASPCA has to struggle with budget constraints every fiscal year, yet still deliver mission. Same for the fine state of Californian (ask Arnold how that's going). She is walking into an administration that will face the largest structural deficets EVER, and has zero skills on how to address them other than cutting taxes.

She is not qualified to sit on the ticket, and you are electing to hold your nose and ignore it because it's your side who screwed up. That's having it both ways.

I find it interesting you didn't complain about my over the top rhetoric when I posted Obama wasn't qualifed to run a Dairy Queen some months back. Now that I'm taking issue with my perfered candidates choice of VP, I'm over the top. Got it.

I'm trying real hard here to channel Tim Russert. Problem is, I'm a student of Karl Rove (and to a lesser extent, Lee Atwater). This current pickle we find ourselves in is, IMO, the fault of the Dems. Over the past 25 years, Atwater and Rover changed the game, and the Dems either couldn't or wouldn't play.

You want to discuss issues? Lets go. Want to engage in the Culture Wars? I'll dance. Wanna race to the bottom? Pack your lunch kid.

The kiddie game is offically (points) down the street.

[quote author="Nude" date=1220660572]

The GOP isn't in control of Congress, the Democrats are. They look to gain even more seats in both the House and Senate come November. Whether their low approval rating is because people think there are too many Republicans left in Congress remains to be seen, but it's a certainty that if McCain wins the election he'll be on his own with very little support in either house. That guarantees that he will have "to do things differently".</blockquote>

I don't think that's true. I think that privately the legeslature is looking forward to being done with W, who is nothing but obstructionist. You can reason (aka make laws) with McCain. I think he's a reasonable man.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1220662341]

I find it interesting you didn't complain about my over the top rhetoric when I posted Obama wasn't qualifed to run a Dairy Queen some months back. Now that I'm taking issue with my perfered candidates choice of VP, I'm over the top. Got it.</blockquote>
<blockquote>[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1206249003]I am a life long dem who is crossing the line and voting for McCain in the fall because of one reason and one reason only - Obama can make a hell of a speech, but he's not qualified to run a Dariy Queen. Hilly and McCain are both qualified to hold the office. One of those isn't going to be on the ballot, and Obama is off the grid in my world, so to speak.</p></blockquote>
[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1220314236]I knew she was a floozy. Well, at least her daughter is. Like mother, like daughter right?

Does this go to judgement or temperment or qualification? No, this goes to show what happens when to nominante a 18month Governer who's previous qualifications were Mayor of a town of 6000 and being first runner up in the Miss Alaska pagent. You get all that small town chaff that comes along with it. There ain't much to do in a town of 6000 except drink, meth, or have sex.

This is why you shouldn't have two working parents when you still have school age children. For those of you who had meddlesome, stay at home parent at home when you were growing up you'll understand. And for those of you who grew up in a small isolated town where sex, drugs, and rock and roll were the only afterschool activities you'll really get it.</blockquote>
</blockquote>
Yes, that's over the top. You attacked Obama on his experience, you attacked Palin on her parenting skills. You called her names, but not Obama. You insinuated she was trailer trash, while he was merely unqualified. Over the top... and sexist, too.

<em>"40% now say that Palin is ready to be President, if necessary."</em>

That's just plain scary. A week ago she didn't even know what it entails to be a VP. I really wonder what the perception among independents is.

Back