Gov. Newsom bans sale of all new gasoline-powered cars starting in 2035

daedalus said:
I am personally fine with this.  Electric cars have more performance potential than gas cars and should be more fun.  And trucks are not included so I'll still have something for running to Home Depot and pulling my trailers.  And it's happening late enough in my life that I'll have plenty of used options to choose from until I purchase my last vehicle.

I'm looking forward to the entertainment aspect of this.  There is a sizeable portion of the population that can just barely get their sh!t together enough to not run out of gas during the week.  I guess charging times will likely improve substantially in 15 years, but surely there will be some unintended consequences.

When our home charger flaked out, we found out how painful not charging at home overnight was.  Chargers at work were taken by people that arrived earlier.  A gas station stop at rush hour is still only five minutes.  A paid quick charge at the Market Place was $5 and killing 90 minutes at a restaurant ($60). With a 1 in 3 hit rate on attempts for it being open.

Sure the new Tesla giga-chargers can blast about 15 miles/minute unto the battery, but they are 1 megawatt systems

So we can be all electric, but can someone map out the climate change impacts of all that electric use overnight?  Because the way people live, the Chevron station by the freeway ramp will be just as busy when its all EVs but the pumps will just be a couple Megawatt charging systems.

At on ramp, after on ramp, after on ramp, in the morning every day, running full blast for a couple hours serving car, after car.

So where will all that electricity to charge all those EV cars come from?  Will they build new power plants?  Otherwise prepare for more brown and black outs.

USCTrojanCPA said:
So where will all that electricity to charge all those EV cars come from?  Will they build new power plants?  Otherwise prepare for more brown and black outs.

I suspect majority will charge in late evenings during off-peak hours just like how SCE and PG&E incentivizes EV drivers to do now.

Also solar energy will become more efficient and prevalent to generate and store electricity.

I?m not well versed on this topic but in 2019 67% of electricity in the US was generated by fissile fuels. Which I believe is a contributing factor to global warming.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Isn?t creating more electricity just going to use more fossil fuels unless they go nuclear? And nobody seems to want nuclear plants near them.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I suspect majority will charge in late evenings during off-peak hours just like how SCE and PG&E incentivizes EV drivers to do now.

Also solar energy will become more efficient and prevalent to generate and store electricity.

All the cars parked on the street curb overnight say otherwise.

All homes/buildings will be solar and generating for the grid... panel efficiency will get to a point where cars will have their own solar generation. Just don't in an inclement weather city.

Also, gas stations will become quick charging stations or battery swap stations. Look up vidoes on fast battery charging... it's the future!

qwerty said:
I?m not well versed on this topic but in 2019 67% of electricity in the US was generated by fissile fuels. Which I believe is a contributing factor to global warming.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Isn?t creating more electricity just going to use more fossil fuels unless they go nuclear? And nobody seems to want nuclear plants near them.
Internal combustion engines are ridiculously inefficient.  A car that gets 30mpg is equivalent to .86 miles/kw-h, and that ignores the energy needed to harvest, refine and move the gasoline.  An electric car gets about 4 miles/kw-h, and the process of getting the energy from the fuel, through the power plant and to the battery is fairly efficient.  To look at it another way, a Tesla P100 stores less than 3 gallons' of gasoline worth of energy.

irvinehomeowner said:
All homes/buildings will be solar and generating for the grid... panel efficiency will get to a point where cars will have their own solar generation. Just don't in an inclement weather city.
I doubt that will ever take hold.  It would be very costly to implement and too easy to damage.  Even at 100% efficiency you would need about 20 square feet of panels on the car just to equal a 120V wall charger, which is painfully slow.  Luckily for us, sunlight just doesn't have that much energy in it.

How many refineries and gas stations existed when horses were primary mode of transport?
How was the battery life of first generation of your fav gadget- laptop, smart phone, smart watch, etc compared to now?
How much energy a light bulb or a dishwasher consumed and how is the consumption now?
How about the efficiency of the solar panels over last 20-30 years?
How much do you worry about taking your phone from one place to another and if you forgot to pack your charging cable for a trip?
What if EVs came with a small brick size battery pack that stays charged in your trunk and adds 20 miles range if you are stranded.
What if technology improved enough by 2035 that 1000 mile range is common in EVs?

nosuchreality said:
All the cars parked on the street curb overnight say otherwise.

So will all the folks living in old apartments and houses in Santa Ana, Anaheim, etc just be forced to take the bus?

The reason we won't need gasoline powered vehicles is that the State's High Speed Rail project will be comple.... Oh..., Wait... Nevermind.

Wonder what kind of vehicle Newsom is driven in, or owns at home. Is it another case of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

Finally, does Newsom care about the ecological carnage Lithium mining causes as well as final disposal of batteries? The question practically answers itself.....

My .02c

Only brand new car are banned but we can still buy used iCE cars right?

Car dealers going to stocked up with pre-owned ICE cars with less than 100 miles on it. 

Eh.. this is FIFTEEN years from now. In 2035, I don't think there will be too much demand for ICE cars in California as EVs will have exceeded them in every way by then.

And I've seen news on progress being made to improve battery recycling:https://insideevs.com/features/441524/tesla-jb-straubel-future-battery-recycling/

We do need to get in front of the infrastructure/grid problems to support all this. It feels like we are in a third world country with threats of brown outs and such.

zovall said:
Eh.. this is FIFTEEN years from now. In 2035, I don't think there will be too much demand for ICE cars in California as EVs will have exceeded them in every way by then.

And I've seen news on progress being made to improve battery recycling:https://insideevs.com/features/441524/tesla-jb-straubel-future-battery-recycling/

We do need to get in front of the infrastructure/grid problems to support all this. It feels like we are in a third world country with threats of brown outs and such.

+1  15 years is a long time.  15 years ago, we didn't even have iPhones. 

lnc said:
Only brand new car are banned but we can still buy used iCE cars right?

Car dealers going to stocked up with pre-owned ICE cars with less than 100 miles on it. 
aquabliss said:
Can?t Californians just go to Nevada and buy a new gas powered car at BMW of Las Vegas?

CARB will likely not allow you to register out of state ICE cars once this starts. Existing California registered ICE cars will be okay for used car sales.

this is what you call cheap posturing, as it costs very little for newsom to promise no more new gasoline-powered cars 15 years from now and nobody will remember him when 2035 comes and we're still rolling coal

Back