Google Express

irvinehomeowner

So Amazon Prime/Now has a competitor from Google:
https://www.google.com/express/

Basically, it's same-day/overnight delivery from brick & mortar stores like Target, Costco, Fry's, Kohl's etc... and can even be fast as 2 hours.

It's not totally free, there is a membership ($10/mo or $95/yr) and not all deliveries are free (like Prime, there are minimums) and there could be service charges.

I might try the 3-month free trial just to see if it's "Prime".

#WALL-E

I just took the shot and tried it last week, given the 3 months free trial, and a $15 promo code SOCAL3 off the first order, sounds like a good deal? Well read on for my first order adventure (summary at the end).

So decided to place a Costco order of 3 items on Monday night, and only found out the promo code did not work (it was given out by the Google Express FB account). So I emailed the GX support, and surprisingly got email response early on Tuesday and they apologized and gave me a new code.

So far so good, so I went ahead and placed the order of 3 items, a pack of facial tissues, a box of baby wipes, and a pack of size C batteries and got a delivery schedule for Wednesday and $15 off the order, sweet! By the afternoon on Tuesday, I got an email from the GX support telling me they are sold out on the facial tissues. WHAT! I have never seen it sold out in the store, but if they tell me they don't have it I guess that will be it, so they cancelled the facial tissue from my order and GX app now show the other two items as "packed", no big deal.

Now came Wednesday, morning went by, afternoon went by, no change to the order status, still shows both items as "packed". By 9PM I went outside the door and saw the box of baby wipe with the top of the box almost broke open, but no battery, and the order status still says "packed" for both items. Hmm...time to contact GX support again, and they got back to my email within an hour, and not only one people replied, but two people from two different groups replied, kind of redundant but at least they are trying to help I thought. The response is disappointed though, and below is their exact word:

"Yikes! Due to an unexpected snag, looks like we're unable to have all of the Costco items from order ### delivered today. ..."

I guess that's the Google way of training how the CS people should respond to customers, and they couldn't explain what "unexpected snag" that was. They told me they can reorder the battery for a Saturday delivery and gave me another $15 credit for future order. By now I have already spent probably enough time to go to Costco myself, but oh well I'm not in that a hurry anyway so I will just wait for the shipment.

Now came Friday night, and all the sudden I got an email from GX saying my order has been delivered!? I went outside and saw a GX shipping package, opened it and only revealed lots of loose batteries inside with the wrapping completely broken. I was like "GREAT!". Open the GX app, it shows my initial order has the battery returned to the warehouse, and the new order is packed but not shipped (huh? so what did I just receive??). By now I don't know what to tell the GX support anymore so I left the bag of batteries just sitting in the living room.

Now came Saturday, the order status of the battery now shows "in transit", but the whole day gone by with nothing shown by the door.

Finally today, by 8:30PM, the order now shows "delivered", and I'm getting a second bag of completely broken loose batteries. I'm really out of word now, other than I'm for sure going to cancel the service.

So in summary, ordered 3 items, got one item being cancelled, one item delivered on time but almost broke the box, one item delivered two days later with completely broken package which they thought was never delivered, and a duplicate order which was again two days later than the scheduled date (and is 5 days late from the original order date) with completely broken package again.

Good luck on ordering anything more delicate than a pack of batteries :)

Thank you Google but no thank you.

irvinehomeowner said:
@c4:

Thanks for the review.

So GX isn't prime... or Amazon Prime yet.

Yes GX still has quite some work to do before being even close to prime...I have been using prime since 2011 with discount, thanks to my edu email I was able to keep and had it forwarded to my gmail :) It has never failed me once.

If you don't mind a "few" hiccups and want to get some credits (I did get a total of $30 credit, $15 being the promotional credit and the other $15 for the mis-handled order) you can certainly try it!

It will be interesting to see how the two services stack up once Google Express work out the kinks

Amazon Prime is really meant to 1) create/deepen customer loyalty and 2) promote Amazon's other services.  GE has the benefit of working with known stores.

I wonder if Google will pair GE up with other ancillary services.

That is, if stores play along with GX. A lot of revenue is generated by items that are *not* on your shopping list. Look at how In n' Out reacted to DoorDash, for example.

Shoprunner is another alternative to Prime delivery for some stores.  It gets you 2 day delivery from NewEgg, ToysRUs and a bunch of other places.

I've been using Shoprunner for years for free.  It's free if you have American Express.  Another good reason to have an Amex card.

riznick said:
Shoprunner is another alternative to Prime delivery for some stores.  It gets you 2 day delivery from NewEgg, ToysRUs and a bunch of other places.

I've been using Shoprunner for years for free.  It's free if you have American Express.  Another good reason to have an Amex card.

2 day delivery is so 2010!  We're talking about 2 hour delivery now! 

c4 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@c4:

Thanks for the review.

So GX isn't prime... or Amazon Prime yet.

Yes GX still has quite some work to do before being even close to prime...I have been using prime since 2011 with discount, thanks to my edu email I was able to keep and had it forwarded to my gmail :) It has never failed me once.

If you don't mind a "few" hiccups and want to get some credits (I did get a total of $30 credit, $15 being the promotional credit and the other $15 for the mis-handled order) you can certainly try it!

Just want to be fair to Google, at the end of the order I shared my disappointment with how the entire order was handled and told the CS people that I will be canceling my service and maybe consider the service again only after it becomes more mature. They replied to my email as usual and apologized, and they refunded me battery that was mishandled, and gave me another $15 credit. And I wasn't even mad at all and certainly didn't ask them for the additional refund/credit since they already gave me $15 when they messed up the order the first time.

So at the end, I order about $30+ worth of items, got $13 refunded, and got a $30 credit. Not saying you want to make money this way, but they are certainly willing to make up their mistake in anyway they can and the CS people seems to have lots of power on giving you credit back.

I will still cancel the service since it's still easier to go to the store for things you need in a more timely manner.

I just got a package delivered from Costco today via their regular shipping method.  (NOT GOOGLE)

Anyhow, it's a pretty big box and it arrived opened up.  It's like a stupid employee used one strip of scotch tape on the top of the box.  I had to double check to make sure nothing was missing.  There wasn't any filler, no receipt...  Those might have fallen out if they were packed at all.

I'm not sure it's google's fault per the packaging.  Costco does a piss poor job at securing it's packages.

riznick said:
I just got a package delivered from Costco today via their regular shipping method.  (NOT GOOGLE)

Anyhow, it's a pretty big box and it arrived opened up.  It's like a stupid employee used one strip of scotch tape on the top of the box.  I had to double check to make sure nothing was missing.  There wasn't any filler, no receipt...  Those might have fallen out if they were packed at all.

I'm not sure it's google's fault per the packaging.  Costco does a piss poor job at securing it's packages.

I don't know who did the packaging, but mine came in with a Google Express standard shipping bag with my stuff (battery) in there. So if Google let Costco do the packaging with their logo they will have to pay for the price.

Irvinecommuter said:
riznick said:

Has anyone tried Amazon Prime Now yet? I was surprised to see 99 Ranch Market being one of its local store for delivery that includes both meats and produce! Thought that was something being covered by Amazon Fresh?
2 day delivery is so 2010!  We're talking about 2 hour delivery now!

Back