Go back in time

RandomG

How would you compare your quality of life living in Irvine to that of, let's say, 7-8 years ago? In terms of traffic, schools, education, diversity, people, food options, child rearing, safety, air quality etc. (not real estate, I know that's gotten more expensive). Do you have nostalgia for that Irvine, or do you feel it's getting better and better?
I'm asking since I've been gone for 6 years, I loved it back then, but not sure what to expect now. I have visited almost every summer, but it's not the same as actually living there.

RandomG said:
How would you compare your quality of life living in Irvine to that of, let's say, 7-8 years ago? In terms of traffic, schools, education, diversity, people, food options, child rearing, safety, air quality etc. (not real estate, I know that's gotten more expensive). Do you have nostalgia for that Irvine, or do you feel it's getting better and better?
I'm asking since I've been gone for 6 years, I loved it back then, but not sure what to expect now. I have visited almost every summer, but it's not the same as actually living there.

I've been in Irvine since 1st grade.  Biggest differences is congestion for sure.  Getting from the 5 side to the 405 side will take your 15 mins guaranteed.  Sand canyon is packed, Jeffrey is packed, jamboree is packed.  Schools?  Still the best.  I went to northwood and it's awesome, we had laptops we could rent! LOL.. lots of AP classes and tests if you were into that.  Diversity and people?  No sugar coating it, lots more Asians.  I'm Asian and I'm a fan, though some FCB get on my nerves but all in all, more diversity is good.  It's very competitive though since most Asians get extra learning after class.  Love all the Asian choices in food (boiling point, diamond jamboree) it's like an organized little Taipei.  Air quality?  still the same.  Safety?  I still feel safe if I forget to lock my door.  Cost?  Restaurants are definitely more expensive but not by much, I expect to pay $10 a meal everywhere I go now.  I know spectrum charges around $7 a sq foot and diamond jamboree at around $5 a sq foot, so restaurants and stores have to be priced to pay rent

All in all, Irvine has changed a lot but I still love it.  I'm not a big fan of all the continuous home building (I'm looking at you great park) but as long as Irvine company is in power, I know it won't be too bad.  They do a great job of separating residential/apartments/retail/commercial buildings unlike other cities.  You will still love it

I feel at ease now! From my yearly summer travels, I've noticed more traffic, but hey, I come from Miami, so Irvine traffic is a piece of cake! I've also noticed a larger selection of restaurant/shopping options, probably drive by population increase, but that's a good thing. I'm going to love having just one car, and being able to walk to school, parks, restaurants across the street, we can even ride our bikes to Spectrum or the District if we want. It's definitely a change of lifestyle that is completely worth the real estate prices imo. (I'm actually renting, so I'll be paying less than my homeownership costs here in South FL, for a much better quality of life).
Schools don't worry me, au contraire, I welcome the academic competitiveness, the more nerds the better (my kids are big nerds!!).
And I love Asian culture, hard working people with great food. I don't mind that they sit in their houses, study and are quiet, I don't need block parties and nonstop football talk!

The worst neighbor noise I get is the sweet sounds of classical piano from my young talented 8 year old neighbor  :) (besides the annoying construction noise which is hopefully temporary)
Welcome back to Irvine!

Paris said:
The worst neighbor noise I get is the sweet sounds of classical piano from my young talented 8 year old neighbor  :) (besides the annoying construction noise which is hopefully temporary)
Welcome back to Irvine!

Consider yourself lucky.  My neighbor is an aspiring violinist who is just terrible!! It's so bad...squeak squeak squeak ..saw...saw...saw...ughhh

As a prior violin player (Like every azn kid) I just want to knock on their door and often free lessons to stop the pain.  :-X

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Paris said:
Welcome back to Irvine!

Consider yourself lucky.  My neighbor is an aspiring violinist who is just terrible!! It's so bad...squeak squeak squeak ..saw...saw...saw...ughhh

As a prior violin player (Like every azn kid) I just want to knock on their door and often free lessons to stop the pain.  :-X

Hah... these posts remind me of some classic IHB ones where they can hear they neighbor go to the bathroom.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Paris said:
Welcome back to Irvine!

You should offer lessons! You have just as much to gain from their improvement since neighbors are a long term kinda thing  :)

Back