Give Out Drinking Straws Go to Jail

If it is true that immigration no longer distinguishes between violent and non-violent crimes, this proposed law, if passed, is going to get people deported. Imagine some undocumented restaurant server who inadvertently gives out an unsolicited straw, newly aggressive immigration agents will surely be waiting in the courthouse for these unfortunate folks.

In some of the resorts in the River Maya area they don't go to jail for giving out straws but you have to ask for them and they'll tell u it's better for the environment to not use straws.

They have no problem handing out disposable plastic cups for use on the beach and they blow away once they are empty... go figure.

Maybe it's an environmental issue here????

JIMHO, the environmental faction lobbying the legislature simply doesn't care if they degrade your experience. Remember these are the people that push the legislature into proposing remote control of your thermostat during ISO emergencies.  No worries though, they're purely acting in our best interest.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us/11control.html

One of my liked restaurant open a updated store with stainless steel condiment cups for the salsa and paper straws for the drinks.  The straws last until the first shipment was done and then replaced with plastic straws because too many complaining customers about the straws.  The steel condiment cups stayed but have largely been supplanted by everyone taking the larger to-go cups.

I wanted to like the paper straws but the mouth feel just pulped out quickly, getting sticky to your lips, etc.  Reverse the sizes on the cups  and I think more people would take the reusable stainless steel cups.

Not sure how many straws from sit down restaurants end up in the ocean, but I'm guessing that it's relatively close to none.

More likely, it's straws from drinks to go that are going to end up there.  And only those that people don't properly dispose of. 

Will this apply to drive through drinks? 

Not that different than the ban on serving water during the drought or banning of plastic bags. 

There is definitely an environmental element to it:  Reduction of reliance on oil to microbeads in the ocean. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Not that different than the ban on serving water during the drought or banning of plastic bags. 

There is definitely an environmental element to it:  Reduction of reliance on oil to microbeads in the ocean.

My gut instinct is that the plastic bag problem wont reduce significantly.  Most people aren't purposely tossing their plastic bags in the ocean.  The bulk of those who would litter plastic bags are probably the same group who continue to get them for free. 

That said, the law is growing on me as I now have the habit of turning down plastic bags when offered for something I can easily carry.  I like that.

Getting rid of plastic straws, though...  That's a much tougher sell.

Back