Gift for neighbors

Moving in, what should I get for surrounding neighbors?

• Flowers, small plants

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Basket

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • A myspace photo of myself

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Who cares about your neighbors?

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

ucla bruin

Looking to move the major furniture this weekend into the new place and was thinking about getting something for my direct neighbors (across and adjacent). Neighbors are important and I'd like to start off on the right foot with a small gift. Nothing extravagant, something simple. But I can't seem to pinpoint what would be appropriate. Any suggestions??

A myspace photo? I thought everyone was on Facebook?

I would give them a framed one... so they can at least have a "ucla bruin view lot".

What's in the basket? Fruit? Cookies? Muffins? Or are you just giving them a basket?

Food is always tough because you're asking for a lot of trust right off the bat and you might not know of any dietary restrictions (although when we moved into our first home... that's what our neighors brought).

Flowers/plants are rather neutral... just as long as it's not a dozen red roses you're giving to your neighbor's wife.  ;)

Edit: Typos

But what if my neighbors are ucla-usc converts like some of us :eek:. jk

I agree, food is tough. Flowers are a safe(r) bet. Since I don't have a myspace account or any of the famous self-portrait-in-front-of-a-bathroom-mirror-angle pictures, I have to resist the urge to be spontaneous and just give something like "Hi neighbor, I just moved in next door and I got you a little something. Here's a 30lb watermelon. Enjoy!"

Anyway, back to serious business. Flowers......it's just that flowers seem more congratulatory then introductory.......

To get acquainted with one another and make them feel welcome in your new home what you do is invite them over for some food and drinks ... have a housewarming party. No individual gifts for the neighbors. If they choose to welcome you, the new neighbor, to their block with any customary gifts for you at that time, then it is upon them to do so.

(If you want more info on etiquette, there's a great site called party411.com that has answers to everything you can think of. I'm a fan of "The Etiquette Queen", who dispenses advice.)

Hey Danny,

A couple of weeks ago when I moved in, I got my neighbors Orchids.  Both of my neighbors really enjoyed them.

Oh btw, did you get your home painted?  :D

Hey Will,

You know, that sounds like a great idea. I will look into that. I'm meeting Orlando today at noon to do final walk-through. I've seen it 80% complete and I have to say they did a fantastic job. Really appreciate your recommendation, wouldn't have turned out as good as it is without your help! The GF thanks you as well :).

Strongly recommended for 1) excellent job and 2) great people to work with.

Btw, congrats on the wedding  ;)

SoCal78 said:
To get acquainted with one another and make them feel welcome in your new home what you do is invite them over for some food and drinks ... have a housewarming party. No individual gifts for the neighbors. If they choose to welcome you, the new neighbor, to their block with any customary gifts for you at that time, then it is upon them to do so.

+1 Agree with SoCal--invite them to your home for a house warming party. No gifts needed.

homer_simpson said:
Glad to hear they are doing a great job on your place! Oh, thanks for the congrats  ;)

Go Bruins.  :)

Can you send me the painter's contact info as well, for future reference. Thanks.

Dang... only my 1 vote for flower/plant?

If we ever buy a new place, we'll probably do the house warming thing too, but that might be in addition to any adjacent neighbor gifts we might drop off before then.

iacrenter said:
SoCal78 said:

+1 Agree with SoCal--invite them to your home for a house warming party. No gifts needed.

++1.  Would also find out if they are neighbors I would want to invite over, prior to buying a home next to them!

Talked to some more of them yesterday, very nice bunch. One even invited me into his home to check out the remodeling he's doing right now. Invitation for some snacks/BBQ would come at a much later time, right now I'm just looking for something small at move-in to say hello.

Seems like flowers/orchids is the winner so far.

bones said:
Orchids are great but hard to get them to reflower.  How about some succulents?  They look great potted or planted.

Good idea as well. I think Home Depot carries them too (?). Hopefully I can just make 1 stop to compare orchids and succulents. Going to try to keep it around or under $20/each.

Not going to be fun cleaning the place tomorrow  :-\

Back