General observations on recession affecting OC restaurants

momopi_IHB

* When I was at the Tea House in SJC, the manager told me that many restaurants in the area are now advertising bargain priced set meals to attract customers. They say they've never seen that happen before. They've also lost some waiters who quit because of declining business.

* The owner of a local high-end restaurant in OC (will remain nameless) told me that out of the first 8 months of the year, they were in red for 6 and in black for 2. He used to hire over a dozen people in the front but had to let half of them go.

* Daphne's Greek Cafe is offering $1 items and $6 dinner sets (3 course). When I went to eat there the manager was handing out buy 1 get 1 free coupons to everyone.

* The produce department at Ranch 99 (Jeffery) has declined in quality. I'm buying my fruits and veggies at UCI Farmer's Market and Wholesome Choice Market (Culver) in Irvine. For Ranch 99 groceries, I drive to Artesia location on Pioneer, and Zion in Hawaiian Gardens.

* At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date. Bought some steaks marked down to $3.50 each (expires in 3 days) and, thought the quality was still better than the beef they're selling at certain unnamed Asian supermarkets in Irvine this week. I wasn't expecting to see so much stuff being marked down at Ralphs, usually you only find them at Orchid Hills supermarket where nobody shops.

[quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]* At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date. Bought some steaks marked down to $3.50 each (expires in 3 days) and, thought the quality was still better than the beef they're selling at certain unnamed Asian supermarkets in Irvine this week. I wasn't expecting to see so much stuff being marked down at Ralphs, usually you only find them at Orchid Hills supermarket where nobody shops.</blockquote>

I've been having big problems at Ralphs (on Irvine Blvd.) over the last year. On my last trip, I had ciabatta bread that went moldy 3 <em>weeks </em>before the use-by date, a bag of clementine oranges that rotted within two days of buying, and a bone-in ham steak that I opened the day of purchase to find covered in slime and disintegrating so badly it was falling off the bone... I noticed it had no expiration date stamped on it at all. I didn't have my receipt to take these things back so I emailed Kroger and they replied that they will fix it. It's irritating that their produce department is lousy but when it comes to meat, that's no joke... people can get sick. In previous trips, I've bought chicken from there that smelled badly over a week before its "expiration" date. Be careful with that steak, momo. (I went back recently and found they removed every bone-in hamsteak from their case.)

[quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]I'm buying my fruits and veggies at UCI Farmer's Market </blockquote>

Bless you!

Also, the reduced produce quality you are seeing is likely because the store is turning thier product slower, due to lower volumes.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1253402317][quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]I'm buying my fruits and veggies at UCI Farmer's Market </blockquote>

Bless you!

Also, the reduced produce quality you are seeing is likely because the store is turning thier product slower, due to lower volumes.</blockquote>

If we all start expressing our desire for more Farmer's Markets, we could see them pop up in all sorts of locations within neighborhoods on a frequent basis. The church at the end of my street is having one in their parking lot today, I think this is a wonderful idea and I'm going to ask them if they can keep doing it on a regular basis. Nothing like walking down the street to buy fresh fruit and veggies, I'd do it once a week and forget the grocery stores!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1253397024][quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]* At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date. Bought some steaks marked down to $3.50 each (expires in 3 days) and, thought the quality was still better than the beef they're selling at certain unnamed Asian supermarkets in Irvine this week. I wasn't expecting to see so much stuff being marked down at Ralphs, usually you only find them at Orchid Hills supermarket where nobody shops.</blockquote>

I've been having big problems at Ralphs (on Irvine Blvd.) over the last year. On my last trip, I had ciabatta bread that went moldy 3 <em>weeks </em>before the use-by date, a bag of clementine oranges that rotted within two days of buying, and a bone-in ham steak that I opened the day of purchase to find covered in slime and disintegrating so badly it was falling off the bone... I noticed it had no expiration date stamped on it at all. I didn't have my receipt to take these things back so I emailed Kroger and they replied that they will fix it. It's irritating that their produce department is lousy but when it comes to meat, that's no joke... people can get sick. In previous trips, I've bought chicken from there that smelled badly over a week before its "expiration" date. Be careful with that steak, momo. (I went back recently and found they removed every bone-in hamsteak from their case.)</blockquote>

Go to Ralphs at Jeffery/Alton, it's better.

For day breads (freshly baked in morning and leftovers are discarded by evening), I'd suggest Trader Joe's. Go early though, their good bread is usually sold out by evening.

Hey no_vas: I attended the neighborhood farmer's market, such as it was. Actually, it was pretty pathetic, but at least I purchased a few nice looking tomatoes, a few carrots and an onion that will do nicely this week for dinners. Anyway, they said that they'll be back in about 60 days as their agriculture license only allows them to come back to a site every 60 days, what's up with that? Is this some type of conspiracy to keep the grocery stores in business?

[quote author="tmare" date=1253449658]Hey no_vas: I attended the neighborhood farmer's market, such as it was. Actually, it was pretty pathetic, but at least I purchased a few nice looking tomatoes, a few carrots and an onion that will do nicely this week for dinners. Anyway, they said that they'll be back in about 60 days as their agriculture license only allows them to come back to a site every 60 days, what's up with that? Is this some type of conspiracy to keep the grocery stores in business?</blockquote>

Don't know. The ones I'm interested in are Certified Farmers Markets. They run every week at the same location. Here's the list for the OC sites:

<a href="http://orange.cfbf.com/cfm.htm">http://orange.cfbf.com/cfm.htm</a>

What is a CERTIFIED FARMERS' MARKET? California certified farmers' markets are the real thing - places where genuine farmers sell fruits, nuts and vegetables directly to the public. Every farmer who sells at a certified market is inspected by the county agricultural commissioner to make sure he/she actually grows the commodity being sold.

<em>Orange County Farm Bureau Sponsored Certified Farmers' Markets

Tuesday

Irvine

Historic Park at the Irvine Ranch

13042 Old Myford Road, Irvine

9 AM - 1 PM (rain or shine)

Wednesday

Tustin

Corner of El Camino Real and 3rd Street

9 a.m. - 1 p.m. (rain or shine)

Westminster

Westminster Mall, Goldenwest and Bolsa, adjacent to Target Store

12 - 5 p.m. (rain or shine)

Thursday

Costa Mesa

Orange County Fairgrounds, 88 Fair Drive

Orange

The Village at Orange, 1500 E Village Way between Katella & Lincoln on Tustin St.

Friday

Laguna Hills

Laguna Hills Mall Parking Lot, the 5 Freeway and El Toro Road

Huntington Beach

Pier Plaza, Main Street & Pacific Coast Highway (next to the pier)

1 p.m. - 5 p.m. (rain or shine)

Saturday

Laguna Beach

Lumberyard Parking Lot next to the City Hall

8 a.m. - Noon / 8 - 11 a.m. July and August (rain or shine)

Irvine

Irvine Center on the corner of Bridge and Campus (across from UCI)

8 a.m. - Noon (rain or shine)

Sunday

Laguna Niguel

Plaza De La Paz Shopping Center on the Corner of La Paz and Pacific Park

9 a.m. - 1 p.m. (rain or shine) </em>

I was at Irvine (UCI) today snooping around. You can literally buy enough stuff you can avoid the grocery store. Roughly eighty growers and another hundred misc. food vendors. I'm probablly going to do just Hollywood if I can find a spot - I a sucker for the foot traffic, and Hollywood is off the chain in that department.

<a href="http://www.farmernet.com/events/one-cfm?venue_id=587">http://www.farmernet.com/events/one-cfm?venue_id=587</a>

[quote author="momopi" date=1253425863]

For day breads (freshly baked in morning and leftovers are discarded by evening), I'd suggest Trader Joe's. Go early though, their good bread is usually sold out by evening.</blockquote>

The artisan bread lady who does the Certified Farmers Market on Tuesday at Historic Park at the Irvine Ranch (near Jamboree and Irvine Blvd, behind the library) is tough to beat. She has good stuff, and I'm a big fan. She may sell at other places but I haven't seen her.

Ive been to the one in Irvine on Tuesdays, and its nothing special, unless of course you really are desperate for tamales. The one at the Village is meh however there is a lil cake vendor there that is kind of great.

The Tustin one is probably the most complete, and largest (that Ive been to in OC anyway)

The list of Farmer's Markets is great, but I really like the idea of walking somewhere and buying something that is really local (like grown in the same city). The church has started "The People's Garden" where you can rent a spot (really large church with more open space then their budget allows them to maintain) and grow your own vegetables for the community or yourself. I think it's a great idea. Of course, I realize that this doesn't help your own ventures, but I wish you well. I just like the community garden idea.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1253450842]Ive been to the one in Irvine on Tuesdays, and its nothing special, unless of course you really are desperate for tamales. The one at the Village is meh however there is a lil cake vendor there that is kind of great.

The Tustin one is probably the most complete, and largest (that Ive been to in OC anyway)</blockquote>

Outside of the bread lady the one at Jamboree on Tuesday is totally forgetable compared to the others I've been to.

The one at UCI on Saturdays is the best in OC. The best one I've been to so far in SoCal has been Wednesday at Santa Monica. I hear the Sunday one is even better.

[quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]*

* The produce department at Ranch 99 (Jeffery) has declined in quality. I'm buying my fruits and veggies at UCI Farmer's Market and Wholesome Choice Market (Culver) in Irvine. For Ranch 99 groceries, I drive to Artesia location on Pioneer, and Zion in Hawaiian Gardens.

</blockquote>

I went to Hmart last week and I don't think I'll be back anytime soon. The cabbage had lots of bugs inside, the peaches looked good on the outside but were rotten, and the cucumbers became moldy after three days.

I also went to the Mother's market across from Mainplace and the quality of produce was like night and day and it didn't seem very expensive.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1254541361]Has anyone tried Tanaka Farms? I'm looking for a good CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in the area.</blockquote>

Tanaka Farms has excellent chips and salsa (they bring it in from a restaurant in San Diego). The roasted tomato salsa is the best.

I have never been than impressed with the produce.

[quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date</blockquote>Most VONS and Albertsons do this as well.

50% off an already reduced Club/etc price can become very good deal. Have half a freezer of RibEye/NY Strip all at less than $3/lb, bagged with those Freezer ZipLoc bags, good for a few months. Combined with WineTag coupons, I paid $1.50 a lb, but thats a bit complicated to accomplish.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1253397024][quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]* At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date. Bought some steaks marked down to $3.50 each (expires in 3 days) and, thought the quality was still better than the beef they're selling at certain unnamed Asian supermarkets in Irvine this week. I wasn't expecting to see so much stuff being marked down at Ralphs, usually you only find them at Orchid Hills supermarket where nobody shops.</blockquote>

I've been having big problems at Ralphs (on Irvine Blvd.) over the last year. On my last trip, I had ciabatta bread that went moldy 3 <em>weeks </em>before the use-by date, a bag of clementine oranges that rotted within two days of buying, and a bone-in ham steak that I opened the day of purchase to find covered in slime and disintegrating so badly it was falling off the bone... I noticed it had no expiration date stamped on it at all. I didn't have my receipt to take these things back so I emailed Kroger and they replied that they will fix it. It's irritating that their produce department is lousy but when it comes to meat, that's no joke... people can get sick. In previous trips, I've bought chicken from there that smelled badly over a week before its "expiration" date. Be careful with that steak, momo. (I went back recently and found they removed every bone-in hamsteak from their case.)</blockquote>

I stopped shopping at Ralph's as they do not pull food that has expired off the shelves. I got tired of throwing things away and finding stuff bad even before the exp. date. I feel they don't really care and i was tired of being ripped off.

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1254806811][quote author="SoCal78" date=1253397024][quote author="momopi" date=1253362081]* At Ralphs, I've noticed more 50+% off "manager specials" on premium beef that's close to expiry date. Bought some steaks marked down to $3.50 each (expires in 3 days) and, thought the quality was still better than the beef they're selling at certain unnamed Asian supermarkets in Irvine this week. I wasn't expecting to see so much stuff being marked down at Ralphs, usually you only find them at Orchid Hills supermarket where nobody shops.</blockquote>

I stopped shopping at Ralph's as they do not pull food that has expired off the shelves. I got tired of throwing things away and finding stuff bad even before the exp. date. I feel they don't really care and i was tired of being ripped off.</blockquote>

I've noticed that there is quite a difference between stores. We live by the one in Ocean Ranch but I prefer to go to the one on La Paz which is a much nicer store with better produce, etc.

A note on individual stores "freshness" RE bread and produce.

All the produce in Ralph's stores should be the same. In fact, this is true for all grocery stores. If you find the produce at on Ralphs to be "worse" than another Ralphs, its because the worse Ralphs is doing lower volume and isn't turning it's product as fast.

I really like Stater Bros in poorer middle class neighborhoods.

Look for a local produce shop - we have two in Costa Mesa. Grower's Ranch is the retail outlet for Ingardia Produce, a supplier to many restauarants, and Grower's Direct. Both have high quality, very inexpensive produce. Grower's Ranch is on Newport Blvd. right next to Skosh Monahan's (20th street), and Grower's Direct is at the intersection of Newport and 17th, in the same shopping center as Denny's.

I agree with No_Vas - the local Stater Bros (hilariously dated but oddly endearing) has great produce, although they are pricey at times.

Back