Garage Storage Referrals

So I'm thinking about adding those units that hang from the ceiling in the garage.

I see fliers in the mail for it and am wondering if anyone has used one of these companies or if they can recommend anyone.

Also, how is your experience with this type of storage?

(and I half expect usctrojan to come into this thread and tell me his grandmother installs these)

To install each 4x4 panel is around $250 in the garage ceiling. Depending on the garage ceiling clearance, many new homes have a 9' plate on the ground floor the garage ceiling should be around 9.5'. In order for the suspended rack to be effective it should be at least 18". Many builders ran duct work in the garage ceilings which may interfere with the rack locations.

I have seen a do it yourself version at Home Depot for about $80

I like a single story garage for the following reasons:

1) Attic in the pitched roof area for storage without having to come up with suspension storage.

2) Garage is the first place to fail structurally.

3) Never hear the garage door opener.

4) Room to expand vertically for a studio or granny unit later.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1251362235]

1) Attic in the pitched roof area for storage without having to come up with suspension storage.

<em><strong>2) Garage is the first place to fail structurally.</strong></em>

<em><strong>4) Room to expand vertically for a studio or granny unit later.</strong></em></blockquote>

Er.... do you want granny to die in the earthquake? Not a bad idea, actually...

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1253229667][quote author="bkshopr" date=1251362235]

<em><strong>2) Garage is the first place to fail structurally.</strong></em>

<em><strong>4) Room to expand vertically for a studio or granny unit later.</strong></em></blockquote>

Er.... do you want granny to die in the earthquake? Not a bad idea, actually...</blockquote>

Granny unit is a term for studio space above the garage and not necessarily for granny to sleep in. I would totally use it as an recreation room with big screen TV, a bar, and a small kitchenette stocked with IR2's favorite beers. The space would be ideal to host IHB parties. In case of an earthquake we should not have all IHB moderators in the studio all at the same time.

Back