Garage conversion to office/playroom?

Irvine_guy

Hello All,

We have been looking for houses in Irvine area for past few months. Recently we saw some homes in Woodbridge/West Irvine and Tustin ranch area which we liked but the owners had done some modifications in the garage to make playroom/Den. There is driveway to park the cars.

The conversions are very neat.
Example 1 -in a two car garage put a dry wall width wise in the garage and use half garage as playroom and half for storing stuff. Also put roof lighting.
Example 2 -In a 3 car garage - made one garage as den.

The garage door still opens fine.

The HOA for sure does not allow it.

1.What about city? Are permits needed for these additions? Can they fine the new owner?
2. What are the repurcussions of buying such a house? Does it impact loan process or insurance
claims?
3. If HOA finds out about this - can they put fine?

We like the idea of having some room for kids to play in garage but for us basic rubber flooring and storage racks would also be ok rather than this fancy arrangement- if that is allowed.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

Depending on which hood you are in, some 3rd car spots are designed to be made into dens (Westpark II comes to mind).

As for permits and HOA restrictions for buying, your agent should be able to help you with that and the current owner can give you more information about the HOA requirements.

If you know it's not HOA allowed, you may not want to purchase it.

As for turning your own 3rd car garage area into a play area (without having to put up drywall, etc), I think that's fine. In a previous house, ours was more of a storage/work out area... the only thing the previous owner did was put down some carpet.

One of our old neighbors turned their entire garage into a living room, with sofas, carpet and a TV.

I think it's weird to have a garage as a playroom / den / or any room where you'll be spending a significant amount of time where are the no windows. 

You'd be surprised how much you miss natural light once you have to rely only on incandescent or LED lighting.  I suppose you could open the garage or side door when you use it but that just seems odd. 

A friend of mine did this in an older area of Tustin with no HOA.  At first when I saw it I was like "oh this is kind of cool" but spending just 5 minutes in his "mancave" watching TV I wanted to go back in the house where there are windows - otherwise feels too much like a jail cell.

A two-car garage should be used nearly solely as a parking spot for two cars, and that's why most CC&Rs require this. You can make it "flexible space."

For instance, I'm considering paying for flatscreen and cable wiring to a certain spot in our garage (soon to be built). A fold-up treadmill might work near a door exiting to the backyard. I'd open this door for ventilation as opposed to the large garage door.

This flexible space might also be used for overflow when you're entertaining. You can have the game on in the living room and the garage while kids are playing out front (end of cul-de-sac for us). You can roll-out a large carpet to make it more inviting than an oil-stained garage floor.

Perspective said:
For instance, I'm considering paying for flatscreen and cable wiring to a certain spot in our garage (soon to be built). A fold-up treadmill might work near a door exiting to the backyard. I'd open this door for ventilation as opposed to the large garage door.

Just a heads up I have the DirecTV wireless boxes that I use in the garage from time to time while working in there and a 32" LED that is easy to carry in and out.  Works quite well and can save you the $ to run the cable line there.

Perspective said:
A two-car garage should be used nearly solely as a parking spot for two cars, and that's why most CC&Rs require this. You can make it "flexible space."

Preach.  Probably minority opinion in today's world of "stuff", but if you can't park 2 cars in your 2-car garage b/c of storage issues, then you probably have too much crap and should purge.  If you can't park 2 cars in your 2 car garage b/c you need the garage to function as additional living space, then you probably purchased a house that is too small for your needs.  :)

bones said:
Perspective said:

Preach.  Probably minority opinion in today's world of "stuff", but if you can't park 2 cars in your 2-car garage b/c of storage issues, then you probably have too much crap and should purge.  If you can't park 2 cars in your 2 car garage b/c you need the garage to function as additional living space, then you probably purchased a house that is too small for your needs.  :)
Completely agree!!!

To Irvine_Guy's original question, yes, if your use of the garage violates the CC&Rs, your HOA likely has the power to notice you with warnings and eventually fine you progressively for non-compliance.

We had a neighbor seven years ago whose two sons (late teens/early 20s) used the garage as living space in violation of our CC&Rs. They had it set-up with a large flatscreen, tables, and couches. They'd play video games with friends with the door open for hours every day.

Many neighbors had to complain regularly to the HOA. The homeowners were progressively fined into the many hundreds for subsequent fines. Liens can be levied if payment isn't made. Eventually, after many months, they placed the house up for sale and moved away, to the great pleasure of every nearby neighbor.

bones said:
you need the garage to function as additional living space, then you probably purchased a house that is too small for your needs.  :)
Or a new house that only comes with a Great Room. :)

Pic for the lazy:

29psxzb.jpg

Perspective said:
To Irvine_Guy's original question, yes, if your use of the garage violates the CC&Rs, your HOA likely has the power to notice you with warnings and eventually fine you progressively for non-compliance.

We had a neighbor seven years ago whose two sons (late teens/early 20s) used the garage as living space in violation of our CC&Rs. They had it set-up with a large flatscreen, tables, and couches. They'd play video games with friends with the door open for hours every day.

Many neighbors had to complain regularly to the HOA. The homeowners were progressively fined into the many hundreds for subsequent fines. Liens can be levied if payment isn't made. Eventually, after many months, they placed the house up for sale and moved away, to the great pleasure of every nearby neighbor.

It also violates occupancy laws...garages are not permitted living spaces unless properly permitted and inspected

There's a reason for building code and permits and code enforcement, so dipsh!t$ don't just decide to do weekend additions willy nilly style. Houses burn down because people don't know what there doing with electrical so on and so forth. Pretty sure any city's code supersedes any hoa. FYI if I saw any added drywall/rooms in a garage I'm calling city right now. It's one thing if you have a couple stools and chairs to hang out, it's another when your sleeping and living in garage. Simply put if you need more space move elsewhere, don't ruin neighbors quality of life with extra cars and spare transmissions and bathtubs in front lawn.

Nimby said:
There's a reason for building code and permits and code enforcement, so dipsh!t$ don't just decide to do weekend additions willy nilly style. Houses burn down because people don't know what there doing with electrical so on and so forth. Pretty sure any city's code supersedes any hoa. FYI if I saw any added drywall/rooms in a garage I'm calling city right now. It's one thing if you have a couple stools and chairs to hang out, it's another when your sleeping and living in garage. Simply put if you need more space move elsewhere, don't ruin neighbors quality of life with extra cars and spare transmissions and bathtubs in front lawn.

You sir, are not getting an invite to my garage conversion warming party.

For the rest of you, just drive around looking for the bathtub in the front yard, then see yourself in through the side door.

I don't like the idea of no overnight street parking, but if too many people don't park in their garages, it may eventually happen?

If you have a driveway and park your cars on the driveway, instead of hogging up street parking or guest parking, I think it's fine.

Instead of "garage conversions", think "temporary use" that can be quickly and easily converted back to its original purpose.    Garage floor coating can make it look really nice.  Instead of keeping your kids in the garage "play area", consider taking them to the HOA parks and local parks instead.  You paid for it.

If your kids are old enough, you can take them to national parks and forests.  Consider signing up for foraging classes with Chris Nyerges or Pascal Baudar:
http://www.urbanoutdoorskills.com/http://www.christophernyerges.com/

They offer multiple classes every month for as low as $20, and occasionally free lectures.  You'll learn to appreciate how much of the vegetation near Irvine is not only edible, but can be turned into gourmet dish ingredients.

Back