Garage Cabinets and Storage

myirvine

I'm about to finally tackle organizing my garage and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions.  I am looking to do something that isn't a full custom job (expensive) but not a assemble yourself (don't want something falling apart).

I'm looking at a combination of options:

* ceiling racks for large but relatively light pieces (suitcases, portable coolers, holiday ornaments)
* wall racks for bicycles
* wall cabinets for junk that is less expensive than the cabinets that needs to be tossed but for whatever reason I'm holding onto

thanks.

Being that there is no reply and the original topic is pretty much what I was asking, I will dismiss the 120 day warning.  :)

Has anyone installed any cabinets in their garage?  The previous owners installed them in my current house and we have become accustomed to having them. However, our new place does not have any cabinets.  My wife liked the diamond plated cabinet set that Costco had in this past coupon savings book, but I wanted to do some more research. 

Is there anyone out there who is in the same boat who would like to bounce some ideas around?

Coleman said:
Is there anyone out there who is in the same boat who would like to bounce some ideas around?
qwerter just recently did his entire 3CWG  ( >:D ).

I think he bought the cabinets and someone else installed it which saved him some money.

I installed the PAX closet from IKEA with the sliding doors, and it works great.  The sliding doors works better for our situation, as it allows access to the contents while the cars are still parked.  (See Attached)

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 232
like IHO mentioned we bought the cabinets we liked at home depot (closet maid, 4 ft wide x 6 ft tall, got three of these) and got these guys to do the install.  the husky metal frame ones at home depot are nice but a lot more money.
http://www.ocassembly.com/index.html

they charged $260 for the install if i remember correctly and took about 4 or so hours with 2 guys. did a great job.  we dont have a lot of stuff to store yet but its great for the stuff that we do have, nice an organized and always where things are supposed to be.

Irvine_RC said:
I installed the PAX closet from IKEA with the sliding doors, and it works great.  The sliding doors works better for our situation, as it allows access to the contents while the cars are still parked.  (See Attached)
That's a great space saver and love how you can open them with the cars being parked.  Are they attached to the walls?  If so, how?

Irvine_RC said:

Did you install those yourself? If so, did it take long?

Thanks QWERTY -  That price seems very reasonable for installation.  It verges right on the line of would I rather install and deal with the headache or have someone else do it, haha.

Irvine_RC, the PAX closet looks really good.  I didn't even think of putting an indoor closet outdoors. The PAX system looks great with the transparent glass and the fact that everything is a slider.  Maybe I will have to have a nice designer garage.

Here are the current cabinets in my garage.  The nice thing is that one of the cabinets has a sliding door and it just so happens to be right next to the car door! The sliding door is nice for when you have to park close to the cabinet wall, you can slide the cabinet door open allowing for a few more inches of door opening room as the car door can "enter" the cabinet.

(Excuse the hoarder amount of stuff on top of the cabinets.  My dad moved again and I ended up some of his stuff.)

Attachments

• GarageCabinets.jpg
    GarageCabinets.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 168
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvine_RC said:
That's a great space saver and love how you can open them with the cars being parked.  Are they attached to the walls?  If so, how?

I could not use the wall attachment kit that came with the IKEA package because of the stemwalls (curb) within the garage preventing them from sitting flush against the wall.

In order to address that problem, I installed some $1.50 Home Depot Shelf Brackets on the top. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-in-x-12-in-White-Shelf-Bracket-15254/202034279#.UgGBuJJQH_M)

They sturdy as a rock now.

kalbi said:
Irvine_RC said:

Did you install those yourself? If so, did it take long?

I installed them myself, it took about 4 hours with two people.
-- I've put together a lot of IKEA furniture in my days, and this definitely top them as one of the most difficult (The glass door was difficult to frame around, was heavy, and was delicate to handle).
--  Since this is my 1st time installing this, I spent about 1/2 the time trying to figure out what I was doing, and even backtracking some of the steps.  I would say if you know what you are doing, it should be a quick 2 hour job with 2 people.
-- I don't think it's possible to do it with 1 person, as the doors get real heavy with the glass.

No Quarter said:
One thing to consider here is the depth of whatever you are installing.  My neighbor has built-ins in a 2 car garage, and after selling his old car, his new one will not fit in the garage unless he parks diagonally. That means the other car that was parking inside is relegated to the driveway now.

So you need to ensure that any future vehicles you may buy will fit prior to installation, unless you are good with driveway parking for at least one of your vehicles.

Obviously, we are not talking about parking suburbans or excursions inside a garage, but you get the point.  You might have been parking a sienna prior to cabinets, but you may only fit a fiat 500 afterwards.

Good point.  For those of you considering the IKEA pax system, they come in two different depths.  I opted for the shallower depth for this exact reason.

Irvine_RC said:
No Quarter said:
One thing to consider here is the depth of whatever you are installing.  My neighbor has built-ins in a 2 car garage, and after selling his old car, his new one will not fit in the garage unless he parks diagonally. That means the other car that was parking inside is relegated to the driveway now.

So you need to ensure that any future vehicles you may buy will fit prior to installation, unless you are good with driveway parking for at least one of your vehicles.

Obviously, we are not talking about parking suburbans or excursions inside a garage, but you get the point.  You might have been parking a sienna prior to cabinets, but you may only fit a fiat 500 afterwards.

Good point.  For those of you considering the IKEA pax system, they come in two different depths.  I opted for the shallower depth for this exact reason.
What are the depth lengths that you can choose from?

Back