Frustrated with lack of retail

Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of retail options in the Woodbury/Stonegate/Portola Springs/Great Park area?

Right now, Woodbury Town Center is the only major center with dining, gas, and retail. It?s getting more and more crowded, and will only get worse as new developments keep popping up. Cypress Village does have its own center, but residents there still go to WTC. I thought Irvine was supposed to be a ?master planned? community! It seems to me like all they care about is jamming in more and more houses with no regard for infrastructure.

Does anyone have any insight into plans to address this?

TrojanChargerFan said:
Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of retail options in the Woodbury/Stonegate/Portola Springs/Great Park area?

Right now, Woodbury Town Center is the only major center with dining, gas, and retail. It?s getting more and more crowded, and will only get worse as new developments keep popping up. Cypress Village does have its own center, but residents there still go to WTC. I thought Irvine was supposed to be a ?master planned? community! It seems to me like all they care about is jamming in more and more houses with no regard for infrastructure.

Totally agree with you about this.  Not enough retail

Burn That Belly said:
TrojanChargerFan said:

Which is all the more reason why you need to vote No on Measure B and put a stop to building thousands more homes. The parking (even at Spectrum) is just getting worse and worse.

There?s traffic around Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. But people still shop there.  ;)

Retail in the US is struggling big time. Despite the booming economy, more chains are closing stores than opening stores.

I think a couple mini shopping centers would be perfect:

Small grocery store (sprouts, Target essentials, etc)
Coffee shop
Gas station
Fast food restaurant
Fast casual restaurant
Childcare

Drive further to Oak Creek's shopping plaza (Jeffery/Alton) or Quail Hill (Sand Canyon).  Plenty of parking and not too crowded.

TrojanChargerFan said:

I believe Warehouse 415 will be at the corner of Cadence Park, although I don't think that's going to be a retail center.  Still, should have some food options, etc.

Don?t forget Portola Springs did have a plan for a well located retail center until the land was swapped into Portola Springs Elementary because the area needed a school. Oops, people should have fought that one.

The East side of Irvine does lack some retail.  I do like living next to The Marketplace and The District. 

Burn That Belly said:
paperboyNC said:
Retail in the US is struggling big time. Despite the booming economy, more chains are closing stores than opening stores.

Centennials are doing more online shopping than ever, even uBer eats and take outs. No need to fight/pay for parking/valet. Have food delivered to your home with a touch of your phone. Same goes for shopping online. Perhaps, that is the trend. Even gas stations will be dinosaurs as homeowners just fuel up their cars charging at home. Grocery stores may soon become obsolete with drone grocery deliveries as well. The future of retail brick-n-mortar looks bleak.

The issue isn't online, the issue is density of customers versus costs.  Rent, labor, and COGs smokes 100% of the revenue stream in many cases.  The rent on a kiosk in a mall around here is pushing $100K annually, the stores are worse,  labor over the next three years will  complete a 50% increase from last year.

There are plenty of store fronts available but the landlords are unwilling to adjust their rent models because it impacts their capitalization models.  The rent required though needs a San Francisco Financial district Starbucks traffic pattern to make a profit.

Burn That Belly said:
paperboyNC said:

Centennials are doing more online shopping than ever, even uBer eats and take outs. No need to fight/pay for parking/valet. Have food delivered to your home with a touch of your phone. Same goes for shopping online. Perhaps, that is the trend. Even gas stations will be dinosaurs as homeowners just fuel up their cars charging at home. Grocery stores may soon become obsolete with drone grocery deliveries as well. The future of retail brick-n-mortar looks bleak.

I would be extremely careful buying luxury goods online. My friend/coworker used to work in a high end retail store and she buys handbags frequently. (like it?s candy) So another coworker showed her the bag he bought his wife from a website. My friend shook her head and told him it?s a fake. She said the design pattern outside and stitching inside the handbag was off and that high end handbag doesn?t sell online.

eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:
paperboyNC said:

I would be extremely careful buying luxury goods online. My friend/coworker used to work in a high end retail store and she buys handbags frequently. (like it?s candy) So another coworker showed her the bag he bought his wife from a website. My friend shook her head and told him it?s a fake. She said the design pattern outside and stitching inside the handbag was off and that high end handbag doesn?t sell online.

most every high end stores have online store on behalf of their company. if you buy highendbagcheapsale.com then yeah its questionable. but then you are looking for cheap bag, not high end bag.

newPParker said:
eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:
paperboyNC said:

most every high end stores have online store on behalf of their company. if you buy highendbagcheapsale.com then yeah its questionable. but then you are looking for cheap bag, not high end bag.

There are people are getting scammed buying sneakers online. (many videos on YouTube)

Buyer beware?

Liar Loan said:
What is the point of buying a "high end" bag.  Does it hold your crap better than a regular bag?

Haha.  It makes no sense to me either.  I see a bag as a tool for carrying things, but...  that's so boring isn't it...

Some people spend extra to feel "pretty"?  "Fashionable?"  Advertise their wealth?  Trying to keep up with their friends?  To each their own I guess.

For clothing and shoes I still prefer to at least check the fit at retail for the initial purchase.  Afterwards I'm comfortable with ordering the exact same item online.  I might make an exception for Costco clothing due to their generous return policy.

On side note, if you have dark leather (not suede) jacket, shoes, purse, etc. that's dry & worn, check your local Walmart's shoes/boots section for Herman Survivor's Leather Lube.  It's a small yellow jar (4 oz) at only $3.xx, includes the sponge applicator.  Strangely this item is difficult to find online, even on Walmart web site -- I had to get it at the retail store.  It appears to be very similar to"SOF Sole" product.

This product will darken your leather and is great at restoring black leather jacket.  I had an old leather jacket that was dry, worn, and looked like crap.  This leather lube is one of the cheapest restoration products that you can get and it works great.  My leather jacket now looks quite nice.

Liar Loan said:
What is the point of buying a "high end" bag.  Does it hold your crap better than a regular bag?

There was an old post by one of the Burn that Belly usernames ( before he deleted everything) about how well high end bags held their value. If you buy the right one, you can get better returns than the stock market.

someguy said:
Liar Loan said:

Haha.  It makes no sense to me either.  I see a bag as a tool for carrying things, but...  that's so boring isn't it...

Some people spend extra to feel "pretty"?  "Fashionable?"  Advertise their wealth?  Trying to keep up with their friends?  To each their own I guess.

I've never seen a handbag and been impressed.  In fact, I probably wouldn't recognize a 'high end' bag if the name of the company wasn't printed all over it. 

But still, the ones I've seen and taken notice of don't seem to be especially eye appealing.  Usually, they are ugly, brown little things.  My only thought when seeing one of these, is you paid $X,XXX for that?

Has anybody ever actually been impressed by seeing a handbag?

Back