Frequently Asked Questions

IrvineRenter_IHB

I am in the process of creating an IHB library that accesses the analysis posts of the blog and the key threads in the forums that are loaded with good information. To that end, I am seeking the help of the IHB community.

Part of this project is going to be updating the post for newbies. I want to include a list of frequently asked questions (you know, the ones that drive you guys crazy) with links to the appropriate forum threads. Hopefully, this will cut down on some of the redundant questions.

On this thread, please provide me any questions you often see in the forums (Mello Roos, leased land, etc.) and links to the proper thread that discusses the issue. I will incorporate these into the new IHB library and the newbies post.

Thank you for your help.

I think that's a great idea, IR. How do you propose to handle topics where several threads, or off topic portions of threads, are involved? I'm thinking specifically about the multiple threads on the "Contamination under Irvine" and "Is our drinking water safe" topics that I often have responded to. Maybe a set of subtopics?

1) Groundwater contamination in shallow Irvine groundwater.

2) Do the contaminant plumes affect our drinking water?

3) Tustin Air Base environmental issues (now VOC and nearby developments)

4) Great Park / El Toro Marine Base environmental issues.

5) Landfills and Landfill gas. (I still remember the lady back in '07 that insisted that the Santiago Canyon brush fire that summer was caused by auto-combustion of landfill gas, regardless of the fact the fires occurred during Santa Ana winds and the OC fire authority found the source of ignition far from any landfill.)

I'll try to spend some time this week tracking down the threads on these.

[quote author="GoIllini" date=1245036775]I think that's a great idea, IR. How do you propose to handle topics where several threads, or off topic portions of threads, are involved? I'm thinking specifically about the multiple threads on the "Contamination under Irvine" and "Is our drinking water safe" topics that I often have responded to. Maybe a set of subtopics?

1) Groundwater contamination in shallow Irvine groundwater.

2) Do the contaminant plumes affect our drinking water?

3) Tustin Air Base environmental issues (now VOC and nearby developments)

4) Great Park / El Toro Marine Base environmental issues.

5) Landfills and Landfill gas. (I still remember the lady back in '07 that insisted that the Santiago Canyon brush fire that summer was caused by auto-combustion of landfill gas, regardless of the fact the fires occurred during Santa Ana winds and the OC fire authority found the source of ignition far from any landfill.)

I'll try to spend some time this week tracking down the threads on these.</blockquote>

Yes, I can group all these similar threads under a subheading and link to each of them separately.

It will take some effort to come up with a good system of organizing these threads, but it will save newbies time and it will save the experienced members some aggravation.

Personally, i do not find our current search results very good. I can't even find the thread I am looking for on many occasions. The knowledge base in these forums has grown very large, and short of trying to get a Wiki going again, this is the next best alternative.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1245052029]

... short of trying to get a Wiki going again.</blockquote>

What was the Wiki all about? Is it still available or in use somewhere on the site? I noticed a blogger here had the title of "wiki admin" so I wondered whatever happened to it. It was before my time on this site.

Rental questions:

1. What website(s) do I use to find rentals?

2. What are tips for reducing my rental costs?

3. When is the best time of year for my lease to be up to get favorable renewal terms?

4. What are the different options for renting? (ex. private, IAC, etc). What checks and questions should I run before renting here? (ex. school locators and such)

Back