Fred Sands to Realtors: Go back to what you were doing before

Mogul's advice to Realtors: Don't keep your day job

The Southern California market will get worse before it gets better, he warns a gathering. One survival strategy: Slash prices, now.

By Peter Y. Hong

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

November 3, 2007

Even Realtors can lose faith in the housing market.

Speaking to a gathering of industry professionals Friday, longtime California real estate titan Fred C. Sands called the housing market "pathetic" and said some agents needed to start looking for other work.

"If you've been in it for five or six years and are barely making a living, you might want to think about what you were doing before and get back into it -- you can come back in a couple of years," Sands told members of the California Assn. of Realtors meeting in Universal City.

In the short term, the local real estate market "is not going to get better," Sands said.

He added that he could speak with candor because he was no longer in the home-selling business. Sands now leads Vintage Capital Group, an investment firm that focuses on commercial real estate development.

Such frank remarks are rare at gatherings of famously upbeat real estate agents, but Sands said those in the business needed to remember the last slump and realize "the last five or six years were not normal."

The soaring market of a few years ago will be followed by a correspondingly sharp decline, he said: "The longer the up cycle, the more excess there is, and the worse it is for what follows."

Few homeowners and real estate agents would find room to quibble with that. An estimated 12% of Californians will sell their homes at a loss this year, said Realtors association economist Leslie Appleton-Young, up from about 2% in 2006.

Slumping sales and prices have also brought hardship on many agents, many of whom were drawn into the profession during the housing boom that began in the late 1990s.

There are now 540,000 licensed real estate agents and brokers in California, up 50% from 2003, according to the state Department of Real Estate. But more than half of those agents haven't been involved in a transaction in the last 12 months, a Realtors association board member said.

Sands on Friday asked audience members who worked in the San Fernando Valley to raise their hands. "I feel your pain," he told them. He suggested that those who planned to stay in the business focus on affluent Valley areas or "move to the Westside."

Prices have remained stronger on the Westside and in other affluent areas, in part because buyers there are less likely to use loans with low teaser rates that are now adjusting higher.

But wealthy areas won't escape unscathed, Sand said.

"We saw 25-year-old guys buying $3-million houses," he said of the questionable mortgage practices of recent years. "Someone who makes $100,000 a year can't afford a $2-million house, but that's what's been going on," Sands said.

"The idea that everyone is supposed to own a home is baloney," he added.

Sands counseled agents that property prices must be cut drastically to "get in front of the crisis." Otherwise, agents will "follow it down like a dope" and get even less for the properties, if they can sell them at all, he said.

Speaking with Sands was Alan Long, president of the Southern California region of Sotheby's International Realty Inc., who also told agents to cut listing prices to speed sales. Rising foreclosures could cause prices to fall 20% below 2005 levels, he said.

Long counseled agents to drop sellers who aren't willing to lower prices.

"Let go of the fear another agent will take over and sell it -- they won't," he said. Long said agents could survive by working with buyers, emphasizing to them the advantages of purchasing from a position of strength.

Agents should "go with the flow" by using the downturn to prod buyers, he said. "We are salespeople. We have to be positive."

That remark prompted Sands to interject: "But if you go too far, you lose credibility. People need to know what's happening."

I don't know where realtors got a bad name before recently. In the 10 or so transactions I've ever been involved with, I thought the realtor was worth every penny. My realtors weren't simply order takers.

At a minimum, they acted as a buffer between the buyer and seller so we could 1) negoitate and 2) not kill each other.

<em>"I don't know where realtors got a bad name before recently</em>". You're kidding, right ? Realtards are only in it for themselves, don't be fooled.

Buddy, I'm not dillusional.

I didn't live in SoCal previous to 2001. All of my RE transactions (except for one) were commercial. You really need a realtor there to keep the two parties from killing each other. I'm not joking.

I have done sales in the past, and IMO I got more than my moneys worth (6%) from my realtor. Others feel differently, but I wouldn't do a FSBO if I had a choice. I don't have the time or the temperment. I have the capacity.

Most realtors since 2001 have been used to putting up "For Sale" signs the slightly larger than business cards and getting multiple offers over list. That realtor is cut out for a future career at Starbucks or McDonalds.

A few realtors have 20+ years experence and know how to survive in a down market. This "down market" is where you really need a realtor if you're a sane seller and you want to maximize your oppourtunity. This is the realtor I want.

My dad farms for a living. He uses a broker to sell his hay. Right now, he could cut the broker out and keep the commission because the price of alfalfa is flat out ballistic. But it won't be like that forever, and he knows it.

When I was a kid the market looked a lot like it does today. Dairymen were driving to my dad's house and offering to buy his whole crop, no test. He politely declined, and sent them to his broker. After about two months of this I asked him why. His response?

"Any donkey can sell hay today because the markets hot. Lets see what happens in two years." Sure enough, when there was a glut of hay two years later, guys were out crying about not being able to sell thier hay and my dad's hay broker had his out of the field and sold in two days every time.

How you treat your broker in an up market (assuming he/she is any good) is directly porportional to how they treat you in a down market.

no-vas - you're comparing how your dad runs his business to a real estate transaction?

the realtors bad name came from them driving up the market by outbidding people that really needed homes just to

turn around and selling these homes for a profit, flipping...

i must agree with you that realtors can play their part in negotiations. and they played it for me at 3%-4%, not the usual 6%.

<p>RH, but even at 4% a tard (or two if he/she didn't double end it) earns 20K (or 10K for two) on the transaction of a hypothetical 500K sale. Do you really think they're worth it ? I think it's ridiculous. I'd negotiate myself and use a lawyer for the paperwork.</p>

<p>The whole 6% figure never changing reminds me of the AMT never adjusting.</p>

Vas, I get your point but when you say <em>"How you treat your broker in an up market (assuming he/she is any good) is directly porportional to how they treat you in a down market</em>" ....that doesn't make sense b/c chances are, your agent has all ready found another job in different industry. NIR anyone ?

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>A number of times during the height of the insanity, I'd prepare a standard contract, fill in some of the blanks, the seller would stick a FSBO sign in the front yard, the property would sell, and they'd either fill in the blanks over the phone or spend half an hour in my ofc hammering out the details. Believe me what they paid to me was NOTHING compared to paying a percentage for a realtor to fill in the blanks of a standard contract, which I might add, they haven't even read.</p>

<p>Not that we did a whole lot of those, but we saved 10s of thousands of dollars for sellers who were willing to do just a little bit of work.</p>

<p>That's what I'm talking about Liz ! I think the Internet is going to eventually be the death of the typical real estate agent as we know them. </p>

<p>The most difficult thing would be getting it on the MLS...one of those WWW agencies can do that for a song now though.... </p>

My point is in a down market the realtor/broker/agent earns his living. In a hot market your cat can do the transaction. All my transactions were from 1993-2000. All of them took a minimum of six months. All were very positive.

It's just a difference in precieved value. I think I've gotten fair value out of the realtors I've used in the past. I will continue to use one. Last time I checked, it's okay to do an FSBO if you think that maximizes your return.

Ain't America great?

no vas - Your experiences are 180 degrees from mine. Every transaction experience I have had with a realtor has shown them to be a liar.

It is possible I am more choosy on who I select as a realtor. Or, I could just be lucky.

If some of these fools (who were formerly realtors) go to work at Starbucks, I'll swich to McDonalds!

A couple of things occur to me. The two realtors that I like the most in my neighborhood have never and probably would never try to talk me into buying, or selling, any property. When processing my answers to their questions about what I was looking for or when I might buy, neither tried to tell me I needed to buy or the market was coming back or anything else. One just told me that her son was doing the same thing my wife and I are doing. I don't think either of these realtors are the most successful in the area as regards total sales. But, I am willing to bet they are both extremely successful with their reputations and their personal relationships. Integrity is so rare. Maybe that is why it has such a high value.

Troops - "Do you really think they're worth it ? I think it's ridiculous."

I think it's ridiculous that my girlfriend pays $1500 for louis vuitton purses, but I can see the quality in them.

I think realtards have always been paid that percentage amount and I if I can get them for cheaper, then it's ok.

I dont want to blame realtards for their rates. If I choose to save money, then I can always do what you and lawyer suggests.

I have used realtors selling and buying. I really do see the value of using a realtor when buying - maybe less so when selling. This is perhaps because I have always been buying in a relocation situation and needed someone with knowledge about the community and the ability to sort through all the home listings - I could never have done it and survived the move with the help of a realtor. However, I would NEVER trust what they say completely!

<p>No_vas. . . I think like all professions, there are good and bad realtors. My profession (think snakes) suffers from the same "image" issues as all people think we are crooks. I know there are plenty of good people working in my profession but there are also a lot of crooked ones.</p>

<p>I do not believe that all realtors are bad but I do think that the NAR is bad. They puff up numbers, attack anyone who states the contrary, and prevent small time realtors from undermining the 6 percent commission rule.</p>

<p>Also, the fact that realtors represent both sellers and buyers creates an inherent conflict of interest. There should be "buyers" agents and "sellers" agents, each getting half the commission. Buyers agents should not be allowed to list while seller agents should not be allowed to represent buyers. I mean even lawyers are concerned with conflicts of interests. </p>

<p>I also think some of quotes from the article show why people do not like realtors:</p>

<p>1) "He added that he could speak with candor because he was no longer in the home-selling business." </p>

<p> -What. . .does that mean he could not speak the truth if he was still a realtor? </p>

<p>2) Such frank remarks are rare at gatherings of famously upbeat real estate agents</p>

<p> -Why are these comment rare?</p>

<p>3) "Agents should "go with the flow" by using the downturn to prod buyers, he said. "We are salespeople. We have to be positive."</p>

<p> -No, you do not have to be positive. You should be realistic and keep your clients' interest in mind. If it is a bad market to bad, tell your clients not to buy. </p>

<p><em>"I think like all professions, there are good and bad realtors"</em></p>

<p>Of course, but don't you think there are some occupations which attract or seem to include more of the less honest in society? It isn't a matter of absolutes, and I think many of the reputations are well deserved.</p>

I think we were getting off topic here.

I thought the argued point was about the amount of money realtors get paid for doing what they do. Some people think it's too much at any percentage of the home sale. Some people think it's too much but it's worth it at less than the 6%, ETC...

But to comment on the off topic, there are snakes in every profession. It's a human trait, not a

professional trait. Although some professions have acquired this trait inorder to "make it worthwhile".

Sales, Mechanics, etc...

Snakes don't takes advantage of everybody, they take advantage of who they can. Opportunity

is the word...

"MY MAN!"

Back