Frank's BBQ & Chinese Cuisine (Lake Forest)

momopi

23841 El Toro Rd Lake Forest, CA 92630

Thumbs up on the roast pork and duck plate, but need to eat there while fresh. If you take it to go and reheat at home the meat will be dry.

At lunch time they also have hot table with various dishes, but this is a BBQ place so I recommend ordering the BBQ plate.

We tried it this weekend. We bought the roast duck, soy sauce chicken, whitecut chicken, and beef chow fun. We got there around noon, so the roast pork wasn't available yet. I have to say that the food was disappointing.

My wife said that the both chicken dishes were bland. My son said the same thing about the roast duck. My wife also said that the chow fun was bland. I added chili sauce as I always do, so there was some taste. However, the chow fun seems more like the fast food type rather than freshly stirred fried. There's no wok flavor. My wife said she's not going back.

Tried the 3 delicacy combo and the meats were all decent (honey pork, soy chicken, bbq duck). What I didn't like was paying Vegas pricing for a place that's in a crappy strip mall in LF. DFC (Delicious Food Corner) in Irvine is actually CHEAPER and I would argue better tasting. And DFC doesn't restrict you from picking crispy pork as one of the items. Against my better judgement, I ordered fried noodles which is a waste of money and compares with Panda's fried noodles. The garlic string bean stir fry was good, but still a few notches down from DTF's version.

If I were to go back, I would order the triple rice bowl instead of the combo set to get a better value. However, most likely I won't be going back and will just stick with DFC for my HK BBQ fix.

I wish I could go to DFC for my HK BBQ fix, but the last time we went there (just right after grand opening), it wasn't good. But I remember it did taste slightly better than Frank's and yeah, Frank's is quite expensive for a BBQ fast food. We paid almost $100 for the 5 items. My wife was so mad at the pricing. 😒

DFC meats is solid. Their dinner options are meh. I prefer their breakfast menu but that may be baking in some nostalgia points.

DFC meats is solid. Their dinner options are meh. I prefer their breakfast menu but that may be baking in some nostalgia points.
oh my god, I don't know about you but my brunch experience was horrible at DFC. I have never had something that was not edible in my life. The macaroni & ham soup smelled like @$$. My friends dish was also all dried up. Only thing good about it was the HK milk tea that was included as part of the meal with unlimited refills...

DFC Irvine's breakfast is pretty bad compared to the rowland heights location or even tams noodle house in rowland too.

Had their congee and their toast items. Not amazing but hits the spot when you need something locally.

I tried Frank’s bbq a few weeks ago, was very disappointed with the taste of the bbq pork and the roast duck. I now go to Monterey Park to get a ton of Cantonese bbq, vacuum freeze into small bags, and defrost when needed. Cheaper and taste better.

Went to DFC to have lunch today. Ordered the 3 BBQ choice combo plate. Price is higher and there is no lunch special, the BBQ is tender and the crispy pork is crispy - thumbs up. Food is more flavorful than Frank's BBQ but on the salty side.

Overall, this is a place that I'd take my (Cantonese) in-law's to, but probably not a regular lunch spot.

I scouted out DFC prior to my in-laws visiting recently, and the food came out over-seasoned, oily, and gross.

We took the in-laws to Meizhou Dongpo instead during their visit from HK.

Back