For you old timers of IHB, where did you purchase IF outside of Irvine?

panda

I just put down 5% yesterday to secure my home purchase. I will be moving into my new home in June 30, 2011. The subdivision is called St Marlo Country Club in Duluth/Johns Creek, GA. I wasn't considering this subdivision before as home prices were between $650,000 - $5 million. Yesterday, I purchased a home on this street for $459,500.  Most of the homes on this particular street were purchased for $700s - $800s in 2007. The ethnic makeup of the area is very much like Irvine back in late 80s and early 90s.

It is funny because for long time i had deep regrets that I didn't buy that 1534 sq ft Casalon townhome in QH back in 2003 for the exact same price. The homes on this street have lot sizes of .35 - 1 acre. Home sizes are between 3800 sq ft - 5000 sq ft and the taxes are .8% with no mello roos. If you like the good schools, new homes, and don't want to pay the WTF prices and mello roos that Irvine has to offer. I highly recommend Johns Creek, GA http://www.johnscreekga.gov/about/demographics.asp as an alternative option for you bold risk takers.

St Marlo Schools. according tohttp://www.schooldigger.com/

Johns Creek Elementary ranks 7th of 1097 Georgia public elementary schools.
Riverwatch Middle School ranks 3rd of 467 Georgia public middle schools.
Lambert High School opened last year but predicted to be as good or better than Northview High.
Northview High School ranks 13th of 388 Georgia public high schools.

I am just curious to know where the rest of our old IHB timers decided to buy.

9utf2w.jpg

neighbor home

2ik6trr.jpg

street view

au8p35.jpg

This is my lot. will finish build by June 30th,. 2011.

St Marlo Country Club is set on over 900 acres and surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful hardwoods, the St. Marlo Country Club offers luxury living and unparalleled panoramic views from every home. St. Marlo is in high demand due to its ideal location and award-winning golf course. St Marlo is named one of the Top Ten new golf courses by Golf Digest Magazine and designed by Dennis Griffiths the 200-acre golf course promises a great day for players of all levels.

St Marlo is located in South Forsyth County and the newly established city of Johns Creek, an area known for its lower taxes and highly acclaimed public and private schools, St. Marlo Country Club offers elegant European and Traditional style homes from the mid $600s to over $5 million. And every St. Marlo home for sale offers all the benefits of a country club setting including 24-hour gated access and security, Junior Olympic-size pool, cabana with grilling area, 9 lighted tennis courts, soccer fields and volleyball and basketball courts, and a enormous banquet room used for Father/Daughter Dances, Weddings, and other events.

Panda,

Congratulations on your beautiful new home! Wish we had those kind of prices for those homes here in Irvine. For myself, still renting and watching the market.

Congratulations on your new home.

Sometimes I wish I could leave CA so I could have a house like yours. Affordable, stately-looking, and real bricks. Nice!

But no IHO view lot... hehe.

Congrats Panda... but you know me... unless something happens where both sides of our family moves out there... including our jobs and our friends... it's SoCal4Life.

I always say that I would love a house with a huge lot, but looking at all of that landscaping I don't know how I would manage.  Do you have gardeners or do you maintain those flower beds and mowed lawn yourself?

Oh, wow, Panda. It is so gosh-darn beautiful! That really puts our SoCal tract home shoe-boxes to shame. You must be so excited. Congrats to you, Mrs. Panda, and the cubs. After years of reading about your home search, I'm so happy for you all.

Congrats, now atleast u r all set. Each city has some pros and cons. what suits u, may not suits me. Specially SoCAL has so manythings to offer. Everything is closeby whether it's snow,beaches, desert and a perfect climate. but defn. i will say, Duluth is a growing city. Atleast the best part is that u r all set to move and settled in Duluth. good luck.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx?cat=ECONOMY&city=Duluth_GA&ccity=Irvine_CA&p=1324600&op=0636770

octrends said:
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx?cat=ECONOMY&city=Duluth_GA&ccity=Irvine_CA&p=1324600&op=0636770
Interesting website... I wonder where they get their data from.

I should compare Santa Ana to Irvine just for BK.

irvinehomeowner said:
octrends said:
Interesting website... I wonder where they get their data from.

I should compare Santa Ana to Irvine just for BK.
I dunno, I just ran into a wide eyed garage door rep who was gushing about an estimate he just did in Santa Ana this morning.  He said in all the years he?s been in the garage door business, he has never seen such a magnificent neighborhood.  Some of the properties even have circular driveways.
Since most people on this board are not familiar with the term circular driveway, it is a driveway that allows a driver to ingress and egress a single property without having to reverse the car direction.

Yes... I gave up the freedom of painting my garage door any color I wanted so that my kids can have pocket parks, pools, good schooling and safety from crime.

Funny how freedom from an HOA doesn't necessarily mean freedom for your kids to roam the streets.

P.S. I am hyperboling large because someone likes to do the same.

Hehe... I didn't realize there were more posts on that thread. For those who may be confused about the garage-painting hi-jack... may I refer you to here for some perspective:

http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1759

Bragging about circular driveways (which we need explained to us), big lots, being able to paint your garage... and no pants in the backyard... and BK calls us "sheeple" elitists? His hypocrisy is verging on ridiculousness now that he can't converse with me regularly... is OCR so boring that he has to start threads just to make himself feel better that he moved out of Irvine... hilarious.

Hi panda

Congrats, your new house looks like a real SFH  :).

Are you still going to stick around the Irvine forum? ..... I stayed in Savannah GA for 3 years many yrs back in the late 90s.

Regards,
Mike

Wow, those are some gorgeous homes at very reasonable prices.  Plenty of room for the 4 of you guys and any other future little pandas.  Hope all is well and keep in touch.

Back