For those who live in Portola Springs

escrowbear

Honest question, but I've heard people talk about a "smell". Do you notice any type of smell?

Also is there alot of road noise on Portola Parkway next to the Las Colinas homes that back up to it?

ive been there in the past to look at homes (on both sides of portola) and i never smelled anything.

We went to visit yesterday, and heard a little bit of road noise from the freeways. It wasn't bad. It was a low hum actually.

Came home and did some research and people were complaining about a "smell" but I didn't notice anything and was wondering what the residents thought.

Was thinking of buying one of the Las Colinas homes but the ones that are for sale are backing up to Portola right now.

There are possibly a few culprits.

1) Bee Canyon landfill - depends on the winds.
2) Surrounding farms - depending on their fertilizer plans.
3) Great Park tree farm - depending on fertilizer plans.

The surrounding area was fairly "marshy" with a catchbasin just south on Portola that the area farmers used to flood. With all of the recent rains it's possible that these have reflooded and are simply swamp gas factories.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]This is a question for frank69m.

Heh.[/quote]

Ah, back to my favorite topic. The topic that many unbelievers have mocked me with.

Compost Piling: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode;=&sll=33.675015,-117.735157&sspn=8.991921,14.0625&&ie;=UTF8&ll=33.672167,-117.751492&spn=0.004393,0.006866&t=h&z=17

or

the Landfill next to Portola Springs.

I fail to believe the fertilizer for all those strawberry fields because they can't fertilize every 2 weeks.

Now, you know why I'd prefer to live South or West of the 5 or 405. Let the winds blow from the part of Irvine closer to the Ocean into Woodbury and Portola Springs <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]There are possibly a few culprits.

1) Bee Canyon landfill - depends on the winds.
2) Surrounding farms - depending on their fertilizer plans.
3) Great Park tree farm - depending on fertilizer plans.

The surrounding area was fairly "marshy" with a catchbasin just south on Portola that the area farmers used to flood. With all of the recent rains it's possible that these have reflooded and are simply swamp gas factories.
[/quote]

Prevailing wind over Woodbury (Chinese red bean soup dessert after dinner)

You need to post around here more, frank69m, as a fellow QH lover and our resident smellotologist.

So did you pick up any Tapestries on auction yet? Can you believe how high the prices still are? A Chantilly Plan 3 listed just over a week ago for $1.4m and it's already in Backup Offers... crazy.

it smells also in Woodbury at certain days/weeks of the year... and it's not the fertilizer the landscapers are using around the complex... you get the same smell at the great park, it's the smell of rotting/composting eucalyptus leaves, I remember piles of it on the drive up to the balloon...

on another side note... for those who live in PS...

were there any unsold new homes that TIC recently demolished? A couple told my wife this at Panera Bread; they now have their ocean view back... any ideas, what these might be?

[quote author="roundcorners"]it smells also in Woodbury at certain days/weeks of the year... and it's not the fertilizer the landscapers are using around the complex... you get the same smell at the great park, it's the smell of rotting/composting eucalyptus leaves, I remember piles of it on the drive up to the balloon...[/quote]

You beat me to it.. It is the eucalyptus trees. You can smell it from the 5 freeway exit all the way to Portola Springs Pkwy. I have the same eucalyptus trees at work.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]You need to post around here more, frank69m, as a fellow QH lover and our resident smellotologist.

So did you pick up any Tapestries on auction yet? Can you believe how high the prices still are? A Chantilly Plan 3 listed just over a week ago for $1.4m and it's already in Backup Offers... crazy.[/quote]

Ya. I noticed the 1.4 million full price offer also.

The big problem with QH is that it is in kinda a secluded area that has low inventory. I think that is what is keeping the prices up. Plus, you are closer (time wise) to the main parts of Irvine, then let's say a Turtle Rock (jeffrey traffic sucks from some parts).

Did you notice:
144 TREEHOUSE

I checked it out and for 1.2 million...wow, no way: Plan 1 tapestry smallest, plus no upgrades. It won't go for more than 1.050.000 i bet.

I agree on 144 Treehouse... non-view lot too. And the kicker says they bought in 03 for $767k. So either HELOC or greed... amazing.

A pretty strong trash/Garbage truck odor filled the air this morning when I came outside.  It's been doing that especially in the morning for several months intermittently.  I didn't notice it for over 2 years until recently.

Anybody else notice it from Portola Springs area?  The smell usually dissipates south of Irvine Blvd.

Just went out and checked in PS1, no smell. Which part of PS are you talking about?
To help you figure out your neighborhood, please refer to attached picture.

Not sure if this is same source, but following is excerpt from OCWR response somebody posted on Nextdoor:
"As a result, the probable source has been identified as a flood control channel located adjacent to the community. The channel is managed by the County Flood Control District. OCWR is working with Flood Control management to ensure that the channel will be cleaned to remove stagnant water, silt and debris and that ongoing maintenance will be performed."

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 208
OCLuvr said:
Just went out and checked in PS1, no smell. Which part of PS are you talking about?
Not sure if this is same source, but following is excerpt from OCWR response somebody posted on Nextdoor:
"As a result, the probable source has been identified as a flood control channel located adjacent to the community. The channel is managed by the County Flood Control District. OCWR is working with Flood Control management to ensure that the channel will be cleaned to remove stagnant water, silt and debris and that ongoing maintenance will be performed."

What website do you like more Talkirvine or Nextdoor?

Back