floor repair after water leak

cheetos

Our condo flooring was affected by a leak in a neighbor's unit. The property is a 900sqft loft where the same bamboo wood flooring is used throughout but only the kitchen area was affected by the leak. The neighbor's insurance called for me to get a flooring repair quote. Will they only replace the bad pieces with a similar color or can I insist they replace all 900sqft to match?

Also the leak came in from an upstairs AC. They are not directly above but above and one unit over. What else do I need to get checked out?

I would check for possible water damage behind any walls or above the ceilings. 

You said they are not directly above you; so trace back from the leak in your kitchen to where the AC unit is installed (or the best that you can).  Popping open can lights if you have them to look in the ceilings or even removing wall outlets to look behind walls may help if you are inclined to perform such tasks.

Water damage is not something to take lightly.  It can spread extremely fast and cause more long term damage. 

I would imagine the insurance company will not replace all 900sqft of flooring unless there was a "tangible" reason such as not finding a matching plank pattern/width.  I'm no expert by any means, but not having the right color match doesn't really seem tangible. 

Make sue you fully exam the extent of water reach over the hard wood floor since the damage to the hard wood floor might not show up  until several month later. 

Wood floor plank will expand once it soak up water and shrink slowly over time once it dry.  Once the plank expand and than shrink, there will be gap forming between the planks but it might take a while to show up. 

I would personally think they need to restore it to the same condition as it was before. I wouldn't just settle if the floor repair they offer doesn't look as nice as it used to.

Scooter and Inc both gave great advice. The damages are not always visible and dont always appear simultaneously .
General homeowners insurance policies dictate that if water damages were to happened from a " sudden burst of water" then the insurance company is responsible to return the home to pre-loss condition.

Their are also two other sentences in most policies that are necessary to mention.
"Like kind or quality"  and "Line of sight".  Both of these would put you at an advantage against the insurance company in order to get all of the flooring replaced as apposed to just parts of it.

Its not cut and clear but a good contractor should be able to work with the adjuster on your behalf.

I know this is a bit late of a response, but I have just joined the forum and thought i'd give my input :)

Mike woonteilerhttp://sameday-restoration.com/

Back