Fisker Karma / Green Cars

[quote author="goillini"]The previous writers have kind of talked around an environmental communications issue. How do you measure "green"? Sure, an all electric car has no air emissions and is therefore green, in a narrow sense. But the electricity had to be generated somewhere, and if it was from a remote coal-fired power plant, a LOT of air pollutants were produced.[/quote]
But like I said, I think the other question here is is this more or less than what it takes to refine oil? Or how about drilling for oil, transporting it etc etc etc.

[quote author="qhrenter"]How many coal fired power plants are providing power to homes in Irvine?[/quote]

I doubt that there is specific information published about Irvine, but for California, 15.5 percent of our electrictiy was generated from coal in 2008, according to the California Energy Commission. The biggest source is natural gas.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/overview/energy_sources.html

EDIT: How strange... On two different web pages the Energy Commission gives two different numbers for energy sources. The second page is: http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/electricity/total_system_power.html and it says we get more than 18 percent from coal. Take you pick.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
[quote author="goillini"]The previous writers have kind of talked around an environmental communications issue. How do you measure "green"? Sure, an all electric car has no air emissions and is therefore green, in a narrow sense. But the electricity had to be generated somewhere, and if it was from a remote coal-fired power plant, a LOT of air pollutants were produced.[/quote]
But like I said, I think the other question here is is this more or less than what it takes to refine oil? Or how about drilling for oil, transporting it etc etc etc.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the best answer is, "It depends!"
If you want to sell all-electric cars, you make one set of assumptions, while those who own oil refineries will use other assumptions. If you are talking about immediate health hazards (i.e., smog) you reach different conclusions than if you are considering long-term climate change. Add in my personal favorite -- dependence on foreign energy -- and you can easily reach a conclusion that different from either of the others I've noted.

I'd like to see more homes with more Solar Panels. While they may not GIANT "Power Houses" (I'm very punny today), i'm sure they'd cut the power load qutie alot and could make electrical powered cars that much closer to green.

Just as a side GM has the tiger by the tail with the EV1 YEARS ago (nearly 15 years ago). Too bad big oil crushed it....

That's what I want to do... solarize my house and get a plug-in.

It's sunny here 364 out of 365 days of the year anyways.

Maybe someone will make a breakthrough in solar conversion so you can make a solar powered car (but then someone will complain about the carbon footprint of creating such technology).

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]That's what I want to do... solarize my house and get a plug-in.

It's sunny here 364 out of 365 days of the year anyways.

Maybe someone will make a breakthrough in solar conversion so you can make a solar powered car (but then someone will complain about the carbon footprint of creating such technology).[/quote]

I know the Karma will have a home solar panel option to recharge your vehicle--don't know the price but I am sure it is $$.

The green technology is out there already for home solar and wind energy but it is certainly not cheap. It would be nice to see mainstream builders offer this as options on homes in Irvine. Could be green for everyone...tidy profit for builders, a tax credit for owners, and maybe less energy demand from the grid.

Back