First time skiing - where should we go?

My stepmom and I are going skiing next weekend. Any advice on where to go? Where to eat dinner? Will we need to stay somewhere or can we make this a day trip? If not, where should we stay? What should we bring? Help!

Mammoth for a staying a night. Lu Lu's for dinner, or the restaurant at the <a href="http://www.mammothmountain.com/plan/lodging/tamarack/index.cfm">Tamarack lodge</a>. They had a blueberry tart that was to die for. I would love to find one that good again. I can also recommend staying there, if you want a cabin.

But, Big Bear for the turn around trip. I haven't been there in years, Mammoth FTW, so I don't know the food there anymore.

Just go to Mammoth, it is so much better, and adult like, and fun compared to Big Bear.

<p>Are you going just for the weekend? If that's the case, I would suggest Big Bear. The mountain is relatively easy, not too big, and you can drive there. One lift ticket is also good for two mountains, Snow Summit and Bear Mountain, so if you go for 2 days you can do one each. My suggestion is that you go for 2 days, but if you can only handle one day, then you have the option of driving back. If you head out anywhere farther, that would not be an option. Besides, for just a weekend, anything else would be too long of a travel. Have fun!</p>

Park City, UT is a short and cheap flight out of Long Beach. They got 350+ inches of snow this year and I had one of the best ski sessions of my life earlier this year there. You can also ski free the first day (half day realistically) with your boarding pass at Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley. Check the Canyons website, I think they are running a deal for as low as $96 a day inclusive of room, lift tix and food...

Sundial Spring Snow Saver Pkg 2008

This package includes discounted lodging at the Sundial lodge, lift tickets for two each day, and breakfast for two each morning. Prices start as low as $96 per person*. Valid on stays between 3/23/08 - 4/12/08. *based on double occupancy. The Ski Free package includes two lift tickets per unit, per night of stay (valid only during your stay, choose SKI FREE option when selecting lift tickets) and breakfast for two at The Cabin Restaurant or Red Pine Lodge. Minimum night stay may apply.

I've done Mammoth more than I can remember and just think that overall Park City is an easier commute and better conditions.

My thoughts exactly trojan, i've done mammoth many times and I'd choose park city over mammoth any day. Park City is an easier much safer commute, fly into salt lake, rent a car and within 30 minutes of the airport are many top notch ski resorts.

Sure, go to big bear, but you are going to get torn up, especially if you are a first timer. I'd say just go to snow valley, or whatever the closest resort is. They are all the same.

If you are going for more than a few days, Mammoth or Tahoe would be my recommendation. If its only 1-2 days? I'd check out Snow Summit at Big Bear.

This is your very first time? So lessons will be on the menu? Frankly, anyplace with a bunny slope will do. For a day trip, Mountain High is very close and has great group lesson, rental and lift ticket deals. Big Bear is also great for just learning and has better, if not great, lodging and dining options. Mountain High/Wrightwood is generally not someplace you want to spend the night. You can get a cool cabin and there is a great little Italian place in Big Bear called Sweet Basil Bistro.

I grew up skiing Park City, as my family had a place there. It has fantastic snow and is a great resort. I just got back from Mammoth and skiied Tahoe (Alpine Meadows) early Feb. Those places are GREAT, but for truly first timers, I'd save the money and time for a great resort until you have your ski legs under you.

<p>Just remember anything with "diamond" or "black" should be easy. Don't be afraid of that 70% drop, you'll be just fine.... ha ha...</p>

<p>ok, don't listen to me on that count.</p>

<p>I'd go to Big Bear becasue it is close and readily accessible and if you want to come back quickly its not a big trip to do it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>-bix</p>

single day - Mountain High for accessibility<p>

a weekend - Big Bear or Mammoth<p>

a week or more - anything around Salt Lake, Vail, Sun Valley, Whitefish, Telluride, Crested Butte, Steamboat, Squaw, but avoid the rest of Tahoe, Taos, Big Sky, ...

<p>My first time skiing was at Mammoth. My first time snowboarding was at Whistler-Blackcomb. I don't think I can ever recommend anyone to ever go to Big Bear after those 2 places. </p>

Park City is a great place to Ski. I was there for Christmas this year and relaly enjoyed it. However, the temperature on the mountain was below zero.

I havent been to Telluride for years and years. How is it there these days? Last time I went there was like 12 years ago.

Update:

Well, we never did go. I got sick. So now, I'm resurrecting this post but with a different goal. My almost-six-year-old and his buddy from kindergarten want to "go sledding in the snow." Neither child has ever seen real live snow before. Having grown up on the East Coast, where every winter we got one or two great snow days sledding in the local cemetary (I know, that's so morbid, but in central New Jersey for some reason cemetaries were the only places that had hills!), I just cannot allow another winter to pass without my child experiencing this singular childhood event.

So. Recommendations please, for a one-night weekender from Irvine, this time all about the kids. Where to go, where to stay, where to eat? With all this fresh snow from last week's storms, the sledding has got to be fabulous!

Thanks!

<a href="http://www.bigbear.com/webmaster/winterfamilyfun.php?gclid=CLKxtPW80ZcCFRsRagodRAO_DQ">Big Bear info</a>

Looks like it's gonna be snowing up there over Chrstmas!!

Make sure you have chains for the Car or AWD otherwise they might stop you from going up..

Back