Fatburger files for BK

Looks like even fast food chains are suffering. I wonder how much traction they'll have trying to renegotiate their leases with the landlords.

http://www.nrn.com/(X(1))/landingPage.aspx?coll_id=&keyword=Fog+Cutter+Capital+Group&id=365324

Saw that today. I think a place called "Fat Burger" should go out of business. It's pretty appropriate for the times.

the fatburgers at park place is always dead; see if you can still use the juke box for free; foot traffic never makes it across the parking lot....

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1239834419]the fatburgers at park place is always dead; see if you can still use the juke box for free; foot traffic never makes it across the parking lot....</blockquote>
Yeah, I've been to that one a few times and it is dead. So is the Woodbury location. The only one that I know is busy is the on by USC off Fig. I think a Fat Burger by UCI would work.

That park place one used to be packed at lunch and dinner a few years back!

I guess that is what empty office buildings and closing the movie theater will do to your traffic.

The one in AV is dead unless it's a weekend night. They also do 'buy 1 get 1 free' coupons, so they give you no reason to ever pay full price. I must say though, they make a mean burger and some great chili fries.

Their food is really good, but they are pricier than just about any other burger chain, so i can see why they would be hurting.

[quote author="CougBear" date=1239925232]The one in AV is dead unless it's a weekend night. They also do 'buy 1 get 1 free' coupons, so they give you no reason to ever pay full price. I must say though, they make a mean burger and some great chili fries.</blockquote>
Really, why is it that I have never seen these "buy 1 get 1 free" coupons??? I'm pissed!!!!!! I could have gotten 2 King Burgers for the price of one.

[quote author="morekaos" date=1239937674]Doesn't Magic Johnson own Fat Burger?</blockquote>
I think he owns 13 franchise locations, but I don't believe that he has an ownership stake in the franchisor (I could be wrong).

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1239940708][quote author="morekaos" date=1239937674]Doesn't Magic Johnson own Fat Burger?</blockquote>
I think he owns 13 franchise locations, but I don't believe that he has an ownership stake in the franchisor (I could be wrong).</blockquote>

you are right, He sold most of it in 2003. Good timing.

<a href="http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Fatburger-Corporation-Company-History.html">Magic sells</a>

Magic Johnson Sells Controlling Interest in 2003

By the time the Colorado Fatburger opened, however, Magic Johnson had already taken steps to lessen his involvement with the chain, selling a majority interest for an undisclosed amount of money in 2003 to an investment group led by Warlick. Johnson and his partners did, nevertheless, retain a minority, non-voting interest. According to the Los Angeles Daily News, "Friction between the management and Johnson's investment team led them to part ways.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1239835907]

Yeah, I've been to that one a few times and it is dead. So is the Woodbury location. The only one that I know is busy is the on by USC off Fig. I think a Fat Burger by UCI would work.</blockquote>

You mean Trabuco Grove... There isn't one in Woodbury Town Center. I've never been. The name is not in the least appealing.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1239947846][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1239835907]

Yeah, I've been to that one a few times and it is dead. So is the Woodbury location. The only one that I know is busy is the on by USC off Fig. I think a Fat Burger by UCI would work.</blockquote>

You mean Trabuco Grove... There isn't one in Woodbury Town Center. I've never been. The name is not in the least appealing.</blockquote>
Ahhh, I confused the two centers (I don't get up there too often). I'll have a King Burger like once a month when I'm feeling that primal hungry for a big chuck of beef. I don't like either of their fries (skinny or fat fries).

So trojan, is Fatburger better than In-N-Out in your opinion? I'm not really a burger person but ever few months I'll get a craving and eat at Fuddruckers or the Counter. I don't like In-N-Out as much as most people. And Fuddruckers hasn't been as good as I remembered it the last few times. Maybe its just that location. Dunno.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1239949466]So trojan, is Fatburger better than In-N-Out in your opinion? I'm not really a burger person but ever few months I'll get a craving and eat at Fuddruckers or the Counter. I don't like In-N-Out as much as most people. And Fuddruckers hasn't been as good as I remembered it the last few times. Maybe its just that location. Dunno.</blockquote>
I think they are two seperate animals. In-N-Out is more of a faster, smaller meal than Fatburger (I usually have In'N'Out like once a week or so). I also like how you can add different things onto a burger at Fatburger like an egg, chili, and/or bacon which you can't do at In'N'Out. The quality of the ingredients at Fatburger is very good but it is a little pricey to eat on a regular basis. You can try out a smaller burger like a "baby" burger which is 1/4 lbs or a "fat burger" which is 1/3 lbs (the "king burger" is 1/2 lbs). Give it a try and see what you think.

I skip Fatburger since they cook their burgers to medium well. By the time they are done cooking the burger it is a dry hockey puck.

The Counter cooks their burgers to order and is only slightly more expensive than Fatburger at this point.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1239949466]So trojan, is Fatburger better than In-N-Out in your opinion? I'm not really a burger person but ever few months I'll get a craving and eat at Fuddruckers or the Counter. I don't like In-N-Out as much as most people. And Fuddruckers hasn't been as good as I remembered it the last few times. Maybe its just that location. Dunno.</blockquote>

I eat a lot of burgers, Fatburger is a much better burger than in and out. They are nice and thick, in and out is a tiny little burger. Their onion rings are also very good.

I used to eat at Fatburger, since they are one of the few places to get a decent Turkey Burger... but, Knowlwoods is sooooooo much better that I stopped going to FatBurger all together about 2 years ago.

The counter also has a Turkey Burger and the option to have it over a nice salad in the "burger in a bowl" option.

Fatburger has gone way downhill in my opinion. I used to eat at the original location on La Cienega in LA years ago. It was great. A few months ago I decided to use a 2-for-1 coupon at the Trabuco Grove location. I watched them make them on the grill and was disgusted by how much fat the burgers were swimming in. Totally lost my appetite.

Back