Fastrak

ps99472

Never thought I would even consider Fastrak, but being stuck on Jamboree/Culver/Jeffrey going north at 6pm is tiring me out.  Thought it was a no brainer.. spend a buck and get home 10-15 minutes faster to see my family.. until I read the yelp reviews..
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-toll-roads-irvine

whoa.. lots of headaches.. maybe not worth it.. until I see this
https://www.facebook.com/TheTollRoads/app_614275715264836

like them on FB and get $30 credit!  the promo code is "FB30Toll" so you don't need a FB account to get it. 

After I try out the $30.. I can decide if I want to continue or not..

Get the transponder - read a couple of yelp reviews and it seems like most of them are about being ticketed for being short on the toll. We both have transponders, we dont need them for our work commutes but nice to have since you never know when you will need it.  although we do get charged $2 per transponder per month if we dont use at least $10 in tolls per month.  But its all about the convenience.  Jamboree looks like crap going north when you are on the south side of the 5 and that is probably when its the most convenient to just hop on the 261 and exit Irvine Blvd/Portola Pkway.

I didn't know you get charged if you don't use the transponders.

We got ours from Costco and barely use them except when we need to get to South County quickly.

Those Yelp complaints look like they are from people who don't use transponders.

irvinehomeowner said:
I didn't know you get charged if you don't use the transponders.

We got ours from Costco and barely use them except when we need to get to South County quickly.

Those Yelp complaints look like they are from people who don't use transponders.

You get charged for your transponders ONLY if you don't use them.  I think there is a monetary threshold where if you are above it each month, they don't take the $1 fee/transponder.

It's $2 if you don't use $25 worth of tolls monthly, that's per account, so if you have two transponders under your name, then the sum of the tolls on the two must be over $25 to avoid the fine for under usage.

Soylent Red and I are likely Fastrack owners #3, and #4 given how early we adopted the devices. No issue of significance. You can transfer the unit to a rental car, but call the Toll Road folks to update the license plate associated with the rental.

Sure beats being stuck behind Great Aunt Maebel rummaging through her coin purse at the booth, trying to find something other than a nickel to feed the machine. 

I've been using the Fastack for a few years now and love it.  You do get charged $2 a month if you don't have at least $25 worth of tolls in a month.  The nice thing that you can register mutliple cars on the same transponder...all you do is call them and give them your make, model, and license plate number.  Then, even if you don't have the transponder, you can drive on the tollroad and they'll just hit you for the normal toll via your license plate. 

I didn't know about the no-use fee either.  That SUCKS.  You probably know that us Angelinos have been burdened with an experimental transformation of the 10/110 HOV lanes (now HOT).  We now need FastTrak transponders to carpool.  Pretty much the only time I use these freeways is when my wife is with me, but we are part of a very large group of occassional users who would now have to pay to actually use the carpool lanes to carpool.

What upset me the most is the spin that FastTrak put on this, and made a page specifically to enumerate the benefits of FastTrak to carpoolers.  And yet none of the things listed were actually benefits for *carpoolers*, except maybe the random lottery for awarding gas cards for users.  This smacks of nothing less than a strong lobby and politicians that are either stupid or paid off (or perhaps both).

USCTrojanCPA said:
I've been using the Fastack for a few years now and love it.  You do get charged $2 a month if you don't have at least $25 worth of tolls in a month.  The nice thing that you can register mutliple cars on the same transponder...all you do is call them and give them your make, model, and license plate number.  Then, even if you don't have the transponder, you can drive on the tollroad and they'll just hit you for the normal toll via your license plate. 

Good to know...also if you have any doubt of not paying the toll correctly, go to their website the day of...you can take care of the toll for a lot less then wait for the violation letter.

ps9 said:
It's $2 if you don't use $25 worth of tolls monthly, that's per account, so if you have two transponders under your name, then the sum of the tolls on the two must be over $25 to avoid the fine for under usage.

Next time you are up in the Bay Area, pick up one of the transponders, register it and use it once in one of those tolls there...you get some free credit + you do not get billed the $2 no-use fee.  Bayarea Fastrak works down here so you won't have any problems

socaltrojan81 said:
ps9 said:

Next time you are up in the Bay Area, pick up one of the transponders, register it and use it once in one of those tolls there...you get some free credit + you do not get billed the $2 no-use fee.  Bayarea Fastrak works down here so you won't have any problems

Are you sure?? I still have my bay area transponder and it says for use of Norcal only...

homer_simpson said:
Are you sure?? I still have my bay area transponder and it says for use of Norcal only...
Yes you can. Per the Toll Roads Website FAQ:https://www.thetollroads.com/commonquestions/fastrak.php

Can I use my TCA FasTrak transponder on the 91 Express Lanes (they use the same FasTrak logo)? Is there anywhere else I can use my FasTrak transponder?

"Yes. FasTrak can be used to pay on every toll road and bridge in California. That includes our toll roads (73, 133, 241, and 261), as well as the 91 Express Lanes in Orange County, the SR 125 South Bay Expressway and I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego County, Bay Area bridges, and the Metro Express Lanes in Los Angeles County. Your tolls incurred on these facilities will be deducted from your TCA FasTrak account and reflected on your statement. It is your responsibility to know the toll rates and rules of each toll facility you use. FasTrak customers should open their accounts with the agency operating the toll facility most often used."

used the toll roads for the first time... got home roughly 10 minutes earlier for a buck... is it worth it?  hell yeah..

homer_simpson said:
socaltrojan81 said:
ps9 said:

Yes, positively sure. I bought my transponder in the Bay Area and have been using it in Socal for the last 2 years with no problems and no fees when I haven't used it for a month.

socaltrojan81 said:
homer_simpson said:
socaltrojan81 said:
ps9 said:

Yes, positively sure. I bought my transponder in the Bay Area and have been using it in Socal for the last 2 years with no problems and no fees when I haven't used it for a month.

Good idea... but I think they already thought of this...from bayareafastrak.org

FasTrak customers should open their account with the toll facility of primary usage. Customers may be charged a service maintenance fee if it is determined that the majority of their toll activity occurs at another facility.

So you've been using it for two years in OC?  Did you use it in the bay area at all during those 2 years? 

ps9 said:
socaltrojan81 said:
homer_simpson said:
socaltrojan81 said:
ps9 said:

Good idea... but I think they already thought of this...from bayareafastrak.org

FasTrak customers should open their account with the toll facility of primary usage. Customers may be charged a service maintenance fee if it is determined that the majority of their toll activity occurs at another facility.

So you've been using it for two years in OC?  Did you use it in the bay area at all during those 2 years?

Haven't used it in the bay area since late 2011.. the address on the account is my current address... so maybe their system is not good enough to catch this?

Back