Fair Housing Laws

My family and I are in a strange situation. We moved to Irvine last summer and rented a house from a guy that we realized, once we were here with furniture on the way, really dislikes us. We all survived the year; we payed our rent, didn't trash the place, and don't hassle him. Landlord asks for a two year renewal and a 9% rent increase. We weren't planning on renewing due to the landlord's financial distress so we started looking to move. A nearby house was for rent and we liked it. We put in an application, which was accepted, and the owner's agent sent us an unsigned contract. Turns out the owner and our landlord are friends. The first conversation between must have been OK, but subsequent ones must not have been because the owner keeps changing the terms after he talks again with our landlord. At first it was minor, for example, he was going to paint some rooms and now won't. Now, however, the owner is demanding a two year lease even though the listing and contract sent to us ask for a one year.

This appears to be an attempt to deny us housing because of a personal characteristic by changing the terms. I realize we should move on, but it's all I can find in the school's boundaries. I really do not want to move my child to a different school again. On top of that, this has dragged on for over two weeks and we have lost a lot of time. We have to be out in about 3 weeks. I'm considering calling the Fair Housing Office on Monday. I'm I crazy, or are the landlords discriminating? Thanks for any advice/help.

[quote author="Irvine Newbie" date=1241928576]My family and I are in a strange situation. We moved to Irvine last summer and rented a house from a guy that we realized, once we were here with furniture on the way, really dislikes us. We all survived the year; we payed our rent, didn't trash the place, and don't hassle him. Landlord asks for a two year renewal and a 9% rent increase. We weren't planning on renewing due to the landlord's financial distress so we started looking to move. A nearby house was for rent and we liked it. We put in an application, which was accepted, and the owner's agent sent us an unsigned contract. Turns out the owner and our landlord are friends. The first conversation between must have been OK, but subsequent ones must not have been because the owner keeps changing the terms after he talks again with our landlord. At first it was minor, for example, he was going to paint some rooms and now won't. Now, however, the owner is demanding a two year lease even though the listing and contract sent to us ask for a one year.

This appears to be an attempt to deny us housing <strong>because of a personal characteristic</strong> by changing the terms. I realize we should move on, but it's all I can find in the school's boundaries. I really do not want to move my child to a different school again. On top of that, this has dragged on for over two weeks and we have lost a lot of time. We have to be out in about 3 weeks. <strong>I'm considering calling the Fair Housing Office on Monday.</strong> <strong>I'm I crazy, or are the landlords discriminating?</strong> Thanks for any advice/help.</blockquote>

You haven't provided enough information in your post (understandable) for anybody to reasonably conclude that you have been discriminated against. Contact the <a href="http://www.fairhousingoc.org/index.html">The Fair Housing Council of OC</a>. You may want to consider having a non-confrontational discussion with the prospective landlord to understand why he/she is changing the rental terms, but without accusing he/she of discrimination. In parallel, you may want to consider looking for other housing because whether or not you have been discriminated against, your immediate need is to find a home for your family.

[quote author="Irvine Newbie" date=1241928576] We moved to Irvine last summer and rented a house from a guy that we realized, once we were here with furniture on the way, really dislikes us.</blockquote>

OK, I'll bite. What happened?

We were a relocation. My husband was already here for awhile before I came with the kids. The landlord kept putting off the inspection, even though we were paying rent. It finally happened after I was here with the kids. A few things weren't fixed that were supposed to be. When we started insisting on things being fixed, the landlord became very angry and offered us our money back if we negated the contract. At that point we couldn't. The movers were due in a day or so and our time was running out on the corporate place. I guess the landlord never got over the walk-through.

Back