Everything you want to know about 3 story homes.

bkshopr_IHB

3 story homes are built for several different reasons.

In Custom homes the statue of a home having a 3 story tower set it apart from the typical 2 story homes in the neighborhood. Size does matter for a custom home. Most custom homes in Shady Canyon have a 3 story tower. The function for the top floor is mostly an office or a den with panoramic view. The most striking are the single story homes juxtaposed with the 3 story erected tower. Outside staircases leading up to the top floor is a reminiscence of many medieval fortresses. The desire of having a third story is never for RE economical reason but to achieve elevation distinction.

In a conventional single story detached home the element of surprise walking up to an unexpected third floor is a memorable feature. Many members commented on how they like some of the model homes having a third story bonus space. After a long day of walking through endless model homes the third story bonus space remained the biggest wow idea in the mind of family shoppers. The appearance of the house appears to be 2 story from the outside but the third story is nicely concealed and packed into the limited attic space with plenty of storage for the low head room portion of the attic. One would have never suspected an attic bonus space hidden in the low pitched roofs of the Mediterranean style homes. Many would expect that in a Cape Cod style home with steep pitch roofs.

Cal Pac was the first to introduce the attic idea in the late 90?s. The novel idea was not so well executed during the infancy of the prototypes. The attic was an option back then so the solution was to steepen the roof for a 2 story house and utilizes dormers to bring natural light into the dark space. Kelsie Lane in Oakcreek and Ivywood in West Irvine were both crude having Cape Cod form with Spanish tiles and stucco walls.

The successful prototypes began at Olivos at Quail Hills, Portisol at Woodbury and Campanile at Northpark Square utilizing the element of surprise. The success of the attic space is the allocation of an entertainment space or a guest suite option rather than a space of necessity like master bedroom or kids? bedrooms. The idea of sending the endless energized children up to the attic and having peace and quiet in the lower level great room for the adult work very well from a floor plan stand point. The kids aren?t going anywhere but trapped in the attic.

In a conventional detached condo the idea of the third floor has mixed review. Because this product is density driven footprint therefore is slightly larger than the 2 car garage. The very first one was atrocious at Acacia by Greystone in Oakcreek. A bedroom was at the lowest level with a backyard or an extremely oversized laundry with a backyard. In both scenarios the idea of taking raw meats through these spaces for a backyard BBQ is just too weird. Walking down 2 flights of stairs to do laundry is impractical and the wow factor of seeing a laundry room or Timmy making out with his girlfriend as a front door experience is not very memorable. Limitation to the footprint size the middle level is often the living space with or without a small den/ bedroom. The master bedroom and one substandard size room are often forced at the top level.

I do like third level in Hollywood with the view of the sunset strip but hated the third story in Irvine with view of neighbors broken roof tile, vent pipes, gutters, and broken chip of mortars trapped in the ran gutters and badly constructed roof flashings and an oblique view of the neighbors having sex. For a while the 3 story detached condo like DR Horton?s Ivy Wreath in Quail Hills out performed on a land residual than the Cal Pac?s detached condos due the extra footage even though the floor plans suck. Back then homes with a roof or a person with a pulse could be a mortgage advisor was both hot commodities. 3 story products by Robson Homes in Fremont work much better <a href="http://www.robsonhomes.com/castilleja/"> </a> .

The worst are the 3 story townhomes with alley loaded garages. It is all about density. Due to the higher cost of construction the selling prices were not all that cheaper than the detached condos. No backyards and separate bedrooms at each level are perfect for the dysfunctional families. Natural light is from the front and rear walls only except for the end units. Walking lots of stairs and consumers are paying for the stairs twice without additional living or storage space benefit. Bed over cooktop over toilet are 3 strike out feng shui disaster for most 3 story townhomes. Oops "condos" for you know who. Some has a patio front yard from the downstairs home office but who really does BBQ or relax at the front patio next to a pedestrian sidewalk. Some water heaters and force air units are noisy inside the house in the cabinets since there is no room for them in the garage or in the attic. These crappy products are all over Villages of Toxtin. The General should just end the misery of Asian Mutation by transferring him to another project. That will end my misery of seeing his one liner post about lot 435.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1212293779]3 story homes are built for several different reasons.

an oblique view of the neighbors having sex. next to a pedestrian sidewalk. </blockquote>

for some, this is a selling point!

great write-up, once again

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1212293779]These crappy products are all over Villages of Toxtin. The General should just end the misery of Asian Mutation by transferring him to another project. That will end my misery of seeing his one liner post about lot 435.</blockquote>

I *heart* BK. IHB has released his inner snark, and his snark is top notch.

I live in a 3 story townhouse (rental), and it does indeed have its drawbacks.

The bedrooms are all on the top floor and the laundry room is on the bottom floor. This makes doing laundry a huge drag.

All the master bedroom windows face each other across the walkway, so I can hear/see my neighbors and they can hear/see me. I <heart> my blinds! When it's hot in the summer and I want to keep the windows open, it's disconcerting that I can hear my neighbor's phone ringing.

When folks break the rules and park in front of their garage in the alley it is more difficult to get into my garage.

The garage being on the bottom floor means that after a long day/drive, I have to walk up a flight of stairs no matter what. Not a big deal, but enough to make you go "ugh".

The 3rd floor gets HOT! Uncomfortably hot, and it's hard to get rid of the hot air. It's annoying to be getting ready for a night out as the afternoon sun hits the master bedroom and my makeup melts off my face and I can't even think about using an iron of any sort. Lame. I did get a new 2-way fan recently that helps move the air, though.

It is hard to fit furniture in the long, skinny living room on the second floor.

Back